Latex topper vs thicker mattress?

I’m in the market for a new latex mattress. I think I’ve narrowed it to 9” in the popular 3/3/3 S/M/F configuration (I’m 5’5”, 117 lbs: light and bony). My current latex mattress is all medium, it’s 18 years old now and I’m downsizing. It’s a bit too firm so I’m looking for a bit more cushion and comfort while also being supportive. For now, it’s just me, although I like the idea that maybe in the future I might have a partner.

I’ve seen some people suggest having 6 inches as base and transition within the mattress cover, and 3 inches as a topper with a stretchy cotton cover (instead of of all 9 inches within the mattress cover). As I understand it, the reasoning for this is that the mattress cover top is stiffer and can affect the feel of the top layer.

Toppers are obviously very popular, so it seems people don’t miss the wool padding? I’ve never had a topper.

Is the feel of a topper with a stretchy cover better than the feel of the wool-padded mattress cover? I’m interested in any insight or advice or experience on this choice before I pull the trigger on my purchase. I don’t live near a latex mattress store, so I am probably going to buy from @Expert-SleepEz or Latex Mattress Factory.

1 Like

Hi Amma and new MUGster,
Welcome to the MattressUnderGround, we are happy to have you.

Since you mentioned the possibility of purchasing your latex components from @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 and/or @Sleep_EZ. I moved you to the Talk to the experts category so they can do what they do best.

They will analyze your body profile and PPP’s (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and develop a plan directly for someone with your characteristics.

While no one knows what you will like and guarantee what will be most comfortable for you. TM’S like @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 and @Sleep_EZ are some of the best and most experienced with their products. They tend to get it right! So you are in good hands.

It should be noted that you are absolutely correct that the fabric covers and even you sheets will affect the feel of the mattress system. I tend to only use 100% cotton sheets ranging from 200 -800TC depending on whether it is percale or sateen and I can notice the difference in firmness depending on which fitted sheet is used and how the tightness of the sizing of the sheets fit on the mattress. The same will be true for the topper cover, mattress cover and sheets you use.
Since you are already mindful of this, mention it again to @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 or @Sleep_EZ as they help you construct your final parts to the project.

Lets see what they have to say first.

As always, all the best!

Maverick

1 Like

Thank you, Maverick! Yes, I always use all cotton sheets. I never thought them affecting the feel of the mattress system before. I am learning a lot! Btw, what does TM stand for?

1 Like

TM is Trusted Member. They are all of the manufactures, retailers and product experts who are members of the MattressUnderGround.

Since you are new to the TMU, you are now officially a MUGster, one who is seeking advice for mattress and bedding in a community that values transparency and quality of product, service and advice.

Yay! Welcome! Dont forget all of our tutorials and educational information to peruse while you are waiting for a TM to answer some of your additional questions. Otherwise, myself or on of the other moderators will chime in. I like when the manufacturer gives their perspective as they know their product selection best.

5 Steps to the perfect Mattress Complete Tutorial Complete Tutorial

1 Like

Hi Amma and thanks for the inquiry and welcome to the forums! Yes, the wool in the cover makes the mattress feel firmer than if that wool weren’t there, but that’s been our default cover for decades and we still only have a 4% return rate, while the industry average for mattress returns is 15-20% and some companies are as high as 35-40%. So you might say that 90%+ of our customers feel like the cotton & wool cover works just fine!

However, if you’re looking for an especially plush or enveloping feel, a 6" mattress with 3" topper is a great way to do that! Having a top layer that is not encased with the rest of the mattress will allow that top layer enough spatial freedom to move upwards when you lay on it, making for a very plush and enveloping feel. This is what I recommend to customers that are used to pillow top mattresses, memory foam mattresses, or people that are looking for a softer or plusher mattress in general. On top of that, not having an inch of wool between yourself and the latex will increase the plushness even further.

Regardless of cover choice, based om the information you’ve provided, I think your choice of layer firmnesses sounds ideal! We normally recommend Talalay for the top layer and Dunlop for the bottom 2 layers, and this is for a few reasons. Talalay is bouncier and springier and is generally better at contour and pressure relief on your hips and shoulders. Dunlop is denser and is generally better at support and maintaining proper spinal alignment so our most common configuration is Talalay for the top layer and Dunlop for the bottom 2 layers. We will recommend Talalay for two or more layers for customers that have things like fibromyalgia, shingles, chronic hip pain, chronic shoulder pain, or anything where they’re sensitive to pressure, or for customers that just prefer a bouncier / springier feel. Outside of those circumstances, a combination of Talalay and Dunlop offers the best chance to be successful for the average person. Again, the best way I can summarize the differences would be to say that Talalay is better at pressure relief on your hips and shoulders and Dunlop is better at maintaining proper spinal alignment and avoiding back pain. However, Talalay can also be helpful in avoiding back pain because it provides more of what we call secondary support. Secondary support fills in the gaps between your body and the mattress. For side sleepers, this is normally the area between a person’s ribs and waist. For back sleepers, this is normally the area between the small of your back and the mattress. If these parts or your body aren’t being held up by the mattress, your muscles will work all night to hold those parts of your body up, which can lead to back pain. Aside from that, women tend to be curvier, especially around their hips, and having a top layer of Talalay can help avoid hip pain and keep the mattress from pushing their hips up, which can also lead to back pain. As such, most of our customers definitely benefit from having one layer of Talalay on top, and Dunlop for the rest of the mattress, but it’s completely up to you what you would like to order.

One last thing to keep in mind is that you’re not really tying your hands either way on the cover setup. If you start with all of your layers in a 10" cotton & wool mattress cover and want to know what it would’ve felt like to order the 7" mattress with topper, you can unzip the top panel of the cover and take it off so you can see the latex and sleep directly on the latex (you can put your sheets down, of course). If you try that and it’s perfect, then (within your trial period) you can ship us your 10" cover, we’ll alter it down to a 7" cover and send it back to you, thereby changing it from a 10" mattress to a 7" mattress with topper.

If you start with the 7" mattress and 3" topper setup and find that it’s too plush, you can ship us the 7" cotton & wool cover and we’ll alter it to a 10" cover and ship it back to you.

In both instances, we wouldn’t charge for the alteration, we would just ask that you pay the cost of shipping to and from your location. Just some things to keep in mind!

3 Likes

Hi Shawn @Sleep_EZ , thanks so much for the quick response. This is really helpful. I want to feel cushioned, but I don’t think I want an “especially” enveloping feel–I don’t like memory foam, it makes me feel like I have to climb out of my bed–so perhaps the 10" mattress is the way to go. My current mattress is 8" of Talalay medium (from FoamSource, when I lived in Boulder) and it has never felt bouncy or springy for me, I am used to sleeping top of it and it feels a bit too firm, but maybe that’s because it is Medium. It seems that Talalay soft is definitely the way for me to go for the top layer.

I really appreciate that you offered me the option of switching regardless of which one I start with, if it doesn’t feel right – thank you!

Last question: Is there a big feel difference between 8" of latex and 9" of latex?

I feel pretty much ready to order after a lot of neurotic research! It’s hard to buy a mattress without trying it :frowning: but I am grateful for your assistance!

1 Like

Hi Amma,
I am glad @Sleep_EZ was able to offer you some sound advice and answers. I was a bit crazy when I ordered my first BinB just over a year ago, having used traditional legacy brands from graduating college 1982-2022. Having blindly ordered my BinB without every trying it first was a bit nerve racking, but with the research I did and the comparisons I made, it turned out just right.

Have no fear, when someone has a success rate as good as these TM’s, sometimes you just have to take that leap of faith.

I wish you lots of luck with your decision.

Maverick

Thanks, glad I am not the only one! Your experience gives me some confidence…

1 Like

It depends on which layer is the 2" layer. If you’re looking at our mattresses, the top layer in the 9" mattress (which only has 8" of latex), is only 2" thick, so you would only get 2" of soft Talalay, which is a noticeable difference over 3" of soft Talalay. If you were to get the bottom firm layer as your 2" layer, it should feel pretty much just the same as the 10" mattress. However, if you sleep on soft/medium/firm and 5 or 8 years go by and you gain weight, develop back pain, or something happens where you just want or need a firmer mattress, moving a 2" firm layer to the middle won’t increase the firmness and back support as much as moving 3" firm layer to the middle, so that would be the only downside of getting the 9" with a 2" firm layer. Outside of that, you can order the 9" and just mention in the comments section at checkout that you want the bottom layer to be 2", and at that point you’re getting the feel of the 10" mattress at the 9" price and height.

1 Like

@Sleep_EZ thank you again. I think the only thing that might change down the road is that I have someone else sleeping with me :pray:

If it were 2 people, would that make a difference?

It wouldn’t change my recommendation for the layers, except that I’d definitely recommend splitting your layers if you’re getting a queen size or larger. Since you would have 1” of wool between you and the latex, you will not be able to feel where the latex layers are split. Also, the latex layers naturally grip together and will not spread apart or move with respect to each other; your mattress won’t feel any different when you’re laying on the center of the mattress or on the side. About 95% of our mattress go out with all split layers from top to bottom, and we get zero complaints on being able to feel the split and we get zero complaints about the layers shifting or anything like that.

If all of your layers are split, you will always be able to adjust your side without affecting your partner’s side and vice versa, and you’ll have that option for the entire 20 year lifespan of the mattress. Additionally, the mattress will be easier to assemble, easier to move if needed, easier to do any layers exchanges if needed, and easier to return if needed. There really are no downsides to having all split layers. Of course this is absolutely your mattress, and whatever you’d like to do is perfectly fine with us!

1 Like

@Sleep_EZ Thanks, Shawn, I’m really grateful for your generosity with your time and assistance!

Just to make sure I understand (sorry!), it sounds like the 8" would still feel the same as the 9" (with 2" firm in the bottom layer instead of 3), if there are 2 people sharing the bed and more weight overall?

Yes, that’s correct!

1 Like

thank you, @Sleep_EZ sleep, I really appreciate the personal assistance!

1 Like

Hi @Sleep_EZ Shawn and anyone else reading, just wanted to let you know I ended up buying the 10" S/M/F. I’ve tried my new mattress with and without the cover, as you suggested. Sleeping without the cover ended up causing me a lot of body pain, so the soft topper is definitely not for me. I think even with the cover might be too soft for me because I’m not sleeping well, but I think there is a problem with the bed slats I’m exploring first… stay tuned

OK let us know how it goes and we’ll get the mattress dialed in for you. Please keep in mind that you can make the mattress moderately firmer by rearranging the layers, and if you need to make it “much” firmer, that normally requires a layer exchange.