Latex vs latex hybrid

Hi. Is a latex mattress with coil base just as durable as an all latex mattress, or is the latter more durable? Also, are there any solutions to the “cons” of poor edge support and body compressions that are associated with the latex mattresses? Also which type is better for a heavy person? Thanks.

Hi Lina d
I have been on this site a short while and have had the same questions as you. Doing some searchs will provide some good information for you ( for example, look at the last page of the “Need help deciding on a mattress” thread - where Phoenix discusses edge support".

Here is my situation. I am 6’2" and about 240 lbs. So high on the BMI. Edge support is important to me, as I like to sit on the side of the mattress. I am also a side sleeper, sleep on the side of the mattress ( not the middle ) and often hang my feet over the sides. Lastly - I just had a total hip replacement so want support in my hip area. I am also looking at an adjustable - so I can adjust my legs when on my back ( eg 0 gravity ).

From what I have read ( and believe ), a cheaply made latex hybrid/spring can have worse edge support than a high quality all latex. And a high quality all latex should have less sag in the middle over time then a hybrid latex/spring. However, a latex/hybrid/spring with great quality springs can also have more firm edge support and provide more above the mattress sleep if that is what you are looking for. So it all depends on the construction and how much edge support your desire.

I have discussed this with one of TMU experts - Luma Sleep ( Stefano ) and the conversations have been fantastic. He has been extremely helpful. We have discussed two set ups for me ( with ILD tbd on the set up choice ).

1. Two Twin XL full Latex with their King 3" Talalay Latex Comfort Layer.
  2. One King Latex Hybrid with their King 3" Talalay Latex Comfort Layer

Option 1) allows me to go to a complete dual set up - incase the need arises for sleeping for two full time. Two Hybrid Twin XLs might not be a great option for me sleeping as one.

I did ask Stefano about edge support between the two and this is his response:

Here’s what I can tell you about sitting on the edge of the mattresses:
I weigh 225lbs.
I sat on the edge of a Luma Hybrid Latex Slumber System with a Medium Comfort Layer - I sink in about 3-4" in total
I sat on the edge of an All Latex Slumber System with a Medium Comfort Layer - I sink in about 4-5" in total
Both mattresses feel supportive in sitting on the edge (i.e. that material absorbs the body mass and lift (pushes) back.
If you sit inside the mattress (i.e. your legs/feet hang over from your knees), there is no difference.

So it really comes down to - how much edge support do you need. All Latex is more expensive, but not a concern to me - as I want the best fit. I plan to visit Luma Sleep when I get my driving privileges back and can compare - as of now, I am leaning towards the all latex. I am also going with the LP S Cape adjustable base.

My recommendation is talk to one of the Experts with more details of what you are looking for - they are good. I can highly recommend Luma Sleep.

Best of Luck - Dan

That’s good advice but an all latex bed with the kind of edge support you are looking for will probably end up being too firm for a side sleeper. I can tell you I sleep on soft latex and the edges, although soft, have never broken down. The reason spring mattresses are firmer on the edges is because there is more wear and tear in that area. When you sit you have all your weight in one area and thus compressing the springs much more on the edges than in the middle where your weight is evenly distributed. Latex will give quite a bit when you sit on the edge but the durability of a latex edge is outstanding. That being said latex mattress are not known for firm edges but rather edges that don’t change over time. I find it way more comfortable to sit on the edge of a latex mattress than a reinforced spring edge but that’s just me.

Take a look at the most sophisticated spring system to date at Ultimate Hybrid- Pocket Coil/Latex and thanks again for the great questions.

Thanks for your POV Ken - I think this is something best to experience before you choose, if at all possible. I do like putting my arms behind me and jumping/lifting myself on the bed, for putting on socks etc.

Do you see a difference between a hybrid and all latex when sitting on an adjustable bed ?

Only that our hybrid has firmer edges but even though I have an all latex on an adjustable base I never feel like I’m going to roll off the edge and I do sleep right next to the edge.

Another question - how is the motion transfer compare between a latex and a spring/latex hybrid?

Thanks!

Hi ATennelle.

I just spoke with Ken/Arizona…he’ll come to your aid and get back to you tomorrow. (he is away for the long weekend and the technology is not cooperative where he is); )

Phoenix

Both are great at limiting motion transfer but I have to say an all latex would be the best choice for that purpose.

[quote=“Arizona Premium” post=77381]That’s good advice but an all latex bed with the kind of edge support you are looking for will probably end up being too firm for a side sleeper. I can tell you I sleep on soft latex and the edges, although soft, have never broken down. The reason spring mattresses are firmer on the edges is because there is more wear and tear in that area. When you sit you have all your weight in one area and thus compressing the springs much more on the edges than in the middle where your weight is evenly distributed. [soundcloud]Latex will give quite a bit when you sit on the edge but the durability of a latex edge is outstanding. That being said latex mattress are not known for firm edges but rather edges that don’t change over time. I find it way more comfortable to sit on the edge of a latex mattress than a reinforced spring edge but that’s just me.[/soundcloud]

Take a look at the most sophisticated spring system to date at Ultimate Hybrid- Pocket Coil/Latex and thanks again for the great questions.[/quote]

Hello Arizona, sorry for the late reply. In regards to what you said here: “Latex will give quite a bit when you sit on the edge but the durability of a latex edge is outstanding. That being said latex mattress are not known for firm edges but rather edges that don’t change over time. I find it way more comfortable to sit on the edge of a latex mattress than a reinforced spring edge but that’s just me.” I was wondering does that mean the impression made from sitting won’t remain but bounce right back into place and not wear down? Also is a 9 inch latex thick enough for a 200 lb woman or do I need to add another inch (as in topper)?— I ask because I’ve read that it should be at least 10 inches for someone that size.

Latex mattresses have been known to last over 20 years but so have spring mattresses. It’s more about the filling layers the will provide the durability of either choice. The proper firmness latex over our pocket coil should last an easy 10-20 years and the same is true for the all latex. I sleep on soft all latex and have no issues at all with sides breaking down and my mattress is 17 years old. If you need a firm edge then the spring base will do that better than latex but as far as edge durability goes both will do great.

Durability can be an issue with latex if someone heavy chooses a layer that is too soft for their weight which is why a phone call is always recommended when choosing comfort layers.

Thank you for the question.

Latex bounces back and holds up fantastic. A 9" latex mattress is more than enough for someone 200 lbs. I have a couple who each are over 250 lbs. on only a 6" latex mattress and still going strong after 13 years.

Wow! Amazing. And thanks for the reply.

No problem, thanks for the great questions.

This is surprising to here. After all I’ve read on here, and with feedback I received from one of the all Latex manufacturers here, I did not think that someone around or over 250lbs would find comfort on less than 11" or more of latex. Here is a snippet of the long reply:

With all the other information it’s been hard to figure out what me and my lady need. I’m 6’4", 255lbs, and she’s 5’5", 112lbs. That’s a big difference that I’m having a hard time figuring out how to bridge. We don’t want to have two different sides if we can avoid it. Anyway, your thoughts on this thickness issue would be appreciated.

Side note: This site has been the most informative and at the same time most frustrating forum for buying a mattress. I feel informed with all the right information, but can’t get good details from retailers online.

I’m considering an all latex or hybrid from you guys, but first I need to get out and get some testing done on beds in my area.

I’m not saying not to do 12" latex, I just find that for most it would be overkill. In order for each of you to get the comfort you are looking for I think you almost have to do a dual firmness, at least on the top 3 inches. You are twice her size and then some so it only makes sense that you need firmer layers. Do some testing and take notes on what feels the best for each of you and get back to me.

Innerspring mattresses have really stood the test of time, and they’ve been on the market since 1865. To this day, they remain the most popular mattress choice, so there’s a good chance you’ve tried one out at some point. If so, you may have experienced some of the common negative aspects of this mattress type. For starters, they do tend to become noisy over time.

Furthermore, since the coils are sometimes used continuously throughout the mattress, motion isolation can be difficult to achieve. In other words, the wrong product can cause motion on one side of the product to travel throughout, a terrible situation when you have a sleep partner!

When it comes to foam mattresses, consumers are often attracted when they learn about the additional contour and pressure relief they can take advantage of. On the other hand, however, some foam products can hug too well, and this can make it difficult to get in and out of bed. You may also experience hot sleeping on some of these products.

Hey Ken,

So we went and tested a few beds from Jonathan Stevens (a Local to West Michigan manufacturer). We tested many kinds of beds, and settled on three that were comfortable enough.

I’ll list them in order of best down. I’ll provide what specs I could from the salesman, and the website.
Serenade- Listed as a 6 on a 1-10 scale of firmness (10 most firm). Gel infused memory foam. The sales guy said they use a different manufacturing process to get the gel more evenly distributed. They use liquid gel that is mixed in with the foam during processing.
Starts with a 7" base of 1.8# density foam. The next layer is 3" of fast-recovery Cool-Gel Swirled memory foam to provide you with a denser, cooler sleeping surface, which gives the ultimate in pressure relief. I asked about density and he said all their foam is 4lb density. Then he later said some of the plusher layers are less (3.5# i believe he said). ILD was not provided (he didn’t know and said the company doesn’t share that).
This bed was quite comfortable for both us. I felt supported without sinking in the middle like some of the other beds with more plush tops. The motion transfer was really low, which is needed because I move a lot. Though, hopefully with a nice bed I won’t as much. I do worry about sleeping hot. He said the gel keeps it cooler, though a latex is much cooler.

Harmony - Same line as the Serenade, so gel in fused memory foam. Rated 5 on firmness. Very similar feel to Serenade, a slight bit plusher.
Again, starts with a 7" high-density base of Cool-Gel Swirled memory foam and then add layers of 2.4# soft cushioning material over the firm base. Add another 2" of high-density plush cushioning before layering on 3" of Cool-Gel Swirled memory foam.
Again, he said most of their foam is 4lb exclusive, then said some of the plush top layers are less… he could not provide ILD when I asked.
Again, comfortable for both of us. More plush, and I still felt supported. Again, I worry about heat.

Sonata – Latex hybrid (in that it has foam and latex, no coils). Rated 4 in firmness (was firmer than the previous two) Build is 7" of 1.8# density foam. Then 4" of latex (all latex is Dunlop made in North Carolina I believe he said). Again, he said ALL Of their latex is 4lb density, and all Dunlop.
This was comfortable, with low motion transfer. Not quite as “hugging” as the memory foam.

So those where the three we liked. I want to discuss a little more about what I found on another model online that we did not test (or maybe we did and we didn’t take notes because we didn’t like it). Overture is a higher product line, but still similar in price. They list more details on this. 12" total, 1.8# foam 30ILD base (I bet this is same as the above, best guess). Then 2" of swirl gel foam 4#, 14ILD, then topped with 4.1# 32ILD latex. The main description reads, “…topped with 2” of very high density pure latex foam rubber for a firm, supportive feel." They do not list the firmness rating on this. I only discuss this one because I wonder if these numbers are similar across the other product lines, just arranged different. You won’t know, just for discussion. I have reached out to get more details.

As for build quality and environmental friendliness, “Our high-density foam is certified by CertiPUR-US to be low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) for better indoor air quality, and is made without ozone depleters, without PBDE flame retardants, without mercury, lead, or other heavy metals, and contains no formaldehyde or phthalates.” I think that all seems good.

Anyway, that is a lot I didn’t intend to put in here… So, I guess my question is what are your thoughts on those builds, and what in your product line would seem equivalent? With these particular beds, we don’t seem to need two different sides of firmness as it was comfortable for both of us. I was surprised that I liked the “hugging” aspects of the memory foam, to be honest. Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

I’ll share any details on Jonathan Stevens that I get from the company too, so it is available for others here.

Thank you! Jeff

It’s too bad you were not looking at full latex mattresses, that I could help you with since that is my specialty. The consequences of the hugging feeling, or as I call it “sinking feeling”, is the heat aspect. If you knew how little gel is actually in the memory foam you would also have this concern. They say a tree is 90% air and it’s the same thing with memory foam with gel although it’s probably less the 5% gel. It’s no different than the cool touch fabrics used on mattresses today. You touch it and lay on it and it feels cool but hang in there about 5 minutes and the heat quickly returns.

I am not a fan of mixing latex with memory foam mainly because why take a non toxic product and surround it in very questionable chemically made memory foam? It just doesn’t make sense to me. If you do end up with either of these models make sure to read the warranty carefully as memory foam is famous for significant softening and most warranties have a clause stating “softening is normal and not under warranty”.

Search your zip code on either savvyrest.com or latexbliss.com and see if there are any dealers in your area. Those are brands and models I’m very familiar with since they are latex.

Thanks a lot, Ken. I’m going to do some more looking. I think there is are some all latex mattresses at Denver Mattress near me, and I’ll check those websites too! I just really want to test a bed before buying online. I appreciate all your responses throughout this forum!

Oh, by the way, Jonathan Stevens did respond and they would not provide more detailed information. Unfortunately.

I’ll keep you posted.