Looking at a Winstons No.2, anyone actually slept on one?

hey, looking at winstons beds, specifically the no2. trying to figure out if people actually like these or if it’s just a good website.

me and my wife tried a few visprings. i liked medium, she liked firm, we both liked the ones with toppers. i’m 190 and sleep on my back, she’s 150 and sleeps on her stomach.

the no2 is this huge pillow top with a bunch of different fibers, horsehair, a few wools, alpaca, silk, cashmere, flax. they make it sound like more fibers = better and i don’t know if that’s real or just a fancy ingredients list.

if you’ve slept on a winstons, or something in that world (savoir, vispring with a topper, hypnos, hastens), what’d it actually feel like? we can go lie on the store ones, just not a winstons.

also we want different firmness. anyone done the two halves zipped together thing on a pillow top and not hated the seam down the middle?

been reading the high end materials thread here too.

2 Likes

Following. Interested to hear other’s thoughts on this high end brand.

Hi rjvelasquezm,

Welcome to the Mattress UnderGround. What a great question.

Yes there are some folks here that have purchased the Winstons mattress system. I just can’t remember which they purchased. Having tested Savoir, ViSpring, Shifman, and Hastens, I can tell you a little about my experience particularly on the Hastens.

So, even though I have not slept on the Winstons No. 2, I can speak to the experience of these types of beds in general, and of course my Hastens experience. The natural materials, horsehair, cotton, wool, and the other fibers used in these high-end mattresses, create a completely different experience from anything made with foam, any foam! It’s really hard to explain until you’ve actually spent some time on one.

I’ve showroom-tested most of the Hastens lineup and absolutely loved the Grand Vividus, 2000T, and Maranga. The interesting and amazing thing about them was how different they felt from a conventional mattress. There is a combination of support, softness, breathability, and springiness that you simply don’t get from any foam.

And one important point: these beds are designed around using their curated horsehair toppers. The topper isn’t just an optional accessory thrown on top to make the mattress softer. It’s an important part of the overall bedding system. With the properly matched horsehair topper, the feel becomes something very special. You get this almost weightless, floating sensation while still feeling well supported underneath.

Horsehair in particular is an amazing material for this. It has a natural resilience to it, so it doesn’t just compress and slowly recover the way foam does. It also allows a tremendous amount of airflow. Combine that with wool and cotton, and you end up with a sleeping surface that feels alive rather than dead or stuck underneath you. I happen to sleep on horsehair pillows and recently I have been experimenting with horsehair as a core center with different fibers around the core, wool, kapok, and latex noodles.

The best way I can describe the Hastens beds I’ve tried is that you feel supported rather than held up by the mattress, and cushioned rather than swallowed by it. It really can feel like you’re resting on a cloud, but there is still very good underlying support.

So while I can’t personally vouch for the Winstons No. 2 since I haven’t slept on one, I would be very interested in trying it. Winstons is following the same basic philosophy, quality natural materials, substantial hand-built construction, and a mattress system and pairning it to work with a proper horsehair topper, I can absolutely understand the appeal.

And I wouldn’t get too hung up on the fact that the Winstons description lists a dozen different fibers. More materials doesn’t automatically mean a better mattress. What matters is how those materials are used together and, most importantly, how the finished mattress actually feels when you sleep on it. That’s where these beds can be very different feeling from anything in the foam world, and even other natural fiber mattresses that do not include horsehair.

Hopefully, our subscribers (@ROCKDOCBOSTON3001) that own Winston beds, will chime in, although I do remember one subscriber switching out of the the Winston’s.

If you live in or near New York City, there is a Hastens, Savoir, ViSpring in the SoHo area.

Whether you can afford one or not, it is worth the experience of lying on one for a while.

Maverick

1 Like

Hi,
I am the extremely happy sleeper/ owner of a Winstons mattress. I did NOT swap out the Winstons, but rather went from a Shifman of 15 years to a brand new top of their product line Saatva to a (top of their mattress line up built to emulate a Vispring) Gardner mattress. Each one was worse than the one before.

I was on the path to a Haastens when I discovered Winstons. I live on the east coast of the USA and ordered the Winstons Shropshire model with medium tension inner springs. It took about 3 months or so for delivery to my home. I am eternally grateful for the fateful off chance that I found a UK publication that had a British mattress review, and I also checked around on Mattress Underground. I have been thrilled with the quality and comfort of my Winstons mattress.

I actually smile every time I get into bed at night after owning this mattress knowing that it’s so comfortable. Corny but true.

Full disclosure, I contacted Winstons and spoke on the phone with “Aaron” who helped me select the best mattress of their collection for my specific needs including how much I weighed and my back/ shoulder issues. We agreed that the Shropshire was the best match for my needs, and the medium spring tension would be best. I was given email updates before shipping out to the USA, which took longer than anticipated, but was worth the wait.

I have zero experience with the model ”No 2”, but agree with everything Maverick said about his experience with sleeping on a Haastens as my experience with the Winstons. Maverick is spot on with the description of the sleep experience. I have trouble explaining how it can be supprtive and comfortable…. It is also my experience completely on the Winstons.
I will never get a different mattress.

Other considerations: I have my Winstons on a foundation, not a box spring and have a Woolroom mattress pad, not a topper, but it’s a nice wool padded layer. The bed frame is solid hardwood with good solid center support.

The mattress is a heavyweight mattress and requires rotating and flipping every month for the first 6 months then every 3 months thereafter . I hired LUGG to do this as I have a king and it weighs more than we could ever manage.

This is a sleep experience that I never could have dreamed of and the quality of the mattress is top tier.

Thanks Maverick for sharing this with me. I took delivery of my mattress in June 2025 and it has continued to be the perfect mattress for me. (Thankfully!)

My opinion only, but before ordering and while anxiously awaiting delivery I took solice in reading the UK Trust Pilot reviews as well as Maverick’s advice and the rare USA owners in the blogosphere community.

Best of luck in the search, Winstons was my solid choice.

1 Like

That one looks insanely good, and when you click filter by reviews, it’s at the top. $5000 is not that much for something you’ll be sleeping on for years and can flip as well as rotate.

1 Like