Looking for a local mattress manufacturer/shop in LA area

Hey Phoenix,
I posted before about the Evo Sleep I wasn’t happy about and luckily I’m moving and new owners want everything including bed an mattress, which is great!

I now have a chance to do mattress-buying again with hopefully a more informed approach. My instinct was to look around local stores and thought I might like one of the Simmons World Class or Black models. But then going through the forum here again I’m sure you would dissuade anyone of doing that.

So I picked up an older thread about where you were posting some local shops which I went through, but the closest to LA is BayBeds in Santa Cruz. I talked briefly on the phone with a guy there, he didn’t seem to ecstatic about getting a call (maybe it was because Superbowl had just started) but gave me some ok initial information. Cost seems reasonable 1400-2400 for a set and I really like that it is completely serviceable and they are willing to swap parts to get it dialed in. There is not much information on their site though, and I wanted to get your input on what you know of their mattress lines, materials, build quality, etc. before I make a trip up there to go through their products.

Also, if you have any good local shops in LA I could look at first that would be great too if I’m able to find something here which would eliminate the need of dealing with a road trip and shipping costs.

I’m looking for innerspring firm with good side support, serviceable is a plus, using natural latex on top as I think I may have slight allergies- I get weird persistent itching on my body usually while sleeping sometimes with a little single bump which goes away usually later during the day. I thought it was my dog, but it seems to happen sometimes even when he’s not here.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hi avs,

Welcome back :slight_smile:

That’s great news … and it certainly solves the problem and lets you start all over again with a clean slate.

You’ve probably read it already but it would probably be a good idea to re-read the tutorial post here as a starting point. It includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how to avoid the worst ones (including any of the major brands such as Simmons or any mattress where you can’t find out the quality of all the materials inside it).

I think very highly of Dan and Baybeds and they are one of the members of this site which means I believe they compete well with the best in the country in terms of quality value and service. They are completely transparent and use all high quality materials in their mattresses and can change out any of the latex or innerspring components so you can fine tune it to your specific needs and preferences either before or after a purchase.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Greater Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here.

I’m looking forward to your feedback and finding out what you end up choosing.

Phoenix

It doesn’t cease to amaze me how quickly you reply! Thanks, that is a lot of local place I can check out. and BayBed does look super promising too in case I don’t come up on anything else.

I’ll definitely update back later on, thanks again!

Hey Phoenix, I’m a happy guy now. Left a Yelp and Google+ review for Flexus so figure I’ll just post that here since it pretty much tells the story. Thanks for your continued help for me and everyone else out there!

Hi avs,

I’m thrilled that your “mattress hunt” turned out so well and thanks for sharing such detailed feedback about your purchase from Flexus.

Most importantly of all … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I also appreciate the kind words at the end but I should also point out that the URL has a “the” in front of it and the link you mentioned goes to a “server not found” error :unsure:

Phoenix

woops! Sorry, corrected the mistake both here and on Yelp.

After a few weeks, I’m very happy with the mattress. I can tell it is not going to break down or break in like any of the mattresses I had before. Hope to be posting after a year or two and report that it still feels the same as day 1!

Hi avs,

That would be great. It’s not so common that people come back after a year or two to share an update and it’s always nice to see when they do.

Phoenix

After all of this, I doubt I will forget to come back and update :lol:

Either way, the fact that the mattress zips up and everything is flippable and serviceable just adds to the 30 year warranty it comes with- not much to really worry about.

As promised, I’m back to update after a little over a year. My mattress distress has all but disappeared. Gone are the days worrying about when my mattress would give out and having to find another. Also gone is waking up in the middle of the night and in the morning with back pain.
The mattress is everything I wanted: It feels virtually EXACTLY the way it did when I bought it with no noticeable break-in or body impressions, It is both comfortable and supportive, it transfers very little motion, it stays pretty cool with the vertical holes throughout.
This thing is going to last, and better believe any time I hear anyone talking about mattress buying I’m sending them to your site and to Flexus if I can.

Thanks!

Hi avs,

Thanks for taking the time to return and share your comments and feedback about your Flexus mattress after a year … it’s not as common that the members here return to share their longer term feedback and I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s also great to see that you are sleeping just as well now as you were when you first purchased the mattress and with the durability of latex it would be reasonable to expect that you will be sleeping well for many years to come.

Thanks again!

Phoenix