Looking for a new mattress extremely overwhelmed.

History: I slept on a tempurpedic cloud bed for about 5 years I am 250 pounds and noticed i maybe was sinking to far into the bed after a while and developing a bad sleeping posture and bad posture in general.

I recently purchased the Saatva mid firmness mattress and i notice my arm falls asleep non stop and i find myself tossing and turning waking up non stop all night long which never used to happen to me.

I have spent the past 5 hours reading the forums and guides and must say i am a bit overwhelmed. My main focus is getting a bed to correct posture and still be comfortable. i almost always sleep on my stomach or side. The only reason i switched from memory foam was so the feeling of " i never want to get out of this bed" I might have been completely wrong.

Is there any way you can point me in maybe 1 - 3 or my best few options or recommendations for mattresses. For a guy that is 250 pounds wants to be comfortable but focus on posture. I have no problem paying for a quality mattress its not the money its picking what is right. Even some posts say you can get better mattresses from non mainstream brands but it seems every store around here ( bristol ri 02809 ) only sells tempurpedic i’m willing buy online or in store.

Thanks!

Hi overyy,

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t work out for you as well as you hoped for but the good news is that you had the foresight to choose a mattress that has a good return policy.

[quote]I have spent the past 5 hours reading the forums and guides and must say i am a bit overwhelmed. My main focus is getting a bed to correct posture and still be comfortable. i almost always sleep on my stomach or side. The only reason i switched from memory foam was so the feeling of " i never want to get out of this bed" I might have been completely wrong.

Is there any way you can point me in maybe 1 - 3 or my best few options or recommendations for mattresses. For a guy that is 250 pounds wants to be comfortable but focus on posture. I have no problem paying for a quality mattress its not the money its picking what is right. Even some posts say you can get better mattresses from non mainstream brands but it seems every store around here ( bristol ri 02809 ) only sells tempurpedic i’m willing buy online or in store.[/quote]

While it sounds like you may have read this already … just in case you haven’t the best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

As you probably know from your reading … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for someone else either for a mattress, a manufacturers/retailers, or a combination of materials or type of mattress because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer any specific questions you may have along the way, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress is the best match for you based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Once you get to step 3 in the tutorial and you are ready to start researching manufacturers and retailers to visit and test mattresses then the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are within reasonable driving distance of Bristol, RI (subject to making sure that any specific mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked previously) would be in the list for the Providence, RI area in post #4 here along with post #2 here which includes the area around southern Massachusetts.

If you are also open to an online choice then the tutorial includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of as well (in the optional online step).

The most effective way to choose a new mattress is to follow the 5 steps in the tutorial one step at a time (and/or the optional online step) but if you get “stuck” on any of the steps then you can always let us know which step you are stuck on and of course ask any specific questions you may have that can help you get “unstuck” as well :).

Phoenix