Looking for current equivalent of this old Sealy mattress

I’ve purchased this Sealy mattress back in 2010. I’ve never had any problem with it and it still looks spanking new with no sagging or anything. I absolutely love this mattress.

We are considering possibly converting our bed to a King size and I thought it would be easy to find the same line once I snap the picture of the tag, but oh was I wrong. The tag doesn’t even say what type of mattress it is. I know it’s not the Memory Foam because I’m not a big fan of those. Model number is 506480 and that’s pretty much the only reliable information I have. I tried Googling but no luck.

Does anybody have any idea what this could be? Help!

https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/37876/20170519_112530.jpg
https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/37876/20170519_112620.jpg

Hi jobuko,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Mattress companies don’t generally fine tune or modify one particular model year after year, but instead come out with new lineups every year or so (I use the example how mattresses are not like the car industry, where a Camaro will be somewhat representative of the Camaro from the previous year). Trying to find something approximating an old model from years ago from the same lineup would be mostly futile.

There is information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress as a whole, so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design of your old mattress (which would be fairly unlikely), then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

You could phone the Sealy license in Oregon (503-289-8100) and give them the item number (506480) and they may be able to give you some information about the product, but it more than likely wouldn’t be much more than what you could find from the label sewn onto the mattress giving the model name and the comfort designation, as most of the larger brands don’t share much meaningful information about what is on the inside of their mattresses. Unfortunately, the major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

Overall, my best advice would be to try to find something that uses higher quality materials in the same “range” of comfort as your current mattress, following the guidelines as laid out in the mattress shopping tutorial here.

Phoenix