Looking for high quality mattress for elderly mother

She prefers a firm mattress but needs some cushioning. I would build my own if it was for me, but to make things simpler, looking for a high quality mattress, something that will hold up over time, not with cheap low density foam thatā€™s going to break down prematurely. She only weighs about 100-120lbs at 5ā€™8". I understand mattress technology, but donā€™t know anything about higher end mattresses. She spends most of her time in bed, usually laying down propped up a bit with pillows, and is side sleeper mostly.

Hi Alpharalpha

As you rightly imply, the ā€œcomfortā€ of any mattress will be unique to those sleeping on it based on their stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and their PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). You donā€™t say if she has a preference in mattress types, or if she has tried any types besides memory foam. Itā€™s true that memory foam is liable to prematurely wear, creating ā€˜divotsā€™ or ruts which is the case with lower-density memory foams, regardless if it has safety certifications or not. So I wouldnā€™t go for any memory foam or polyfoam mattress for which you did not manage to find out the mattress durability guidelines here. This is not the case with latex, which at your very low BMIs you wouldnā€™t have durability issues for any latex type, density (comfort levels ranging from soft to X-firm) so this would be the most durable solution. Latex will provide a long-lasting comfortable experience as long as she enjoys the feel and appropriate ā€œcomfortā€ level of whichever mattress you choose. As she has a very low BMI she should have no issues finding good support in a latex or hybrid latex mattress. It would be a good idea, if possible, to try out some different types and comfort levels of latex, and determine if she might want an innerspring coil layer or go straight layers of latex. You can go with a side-by-side split mattress with customized left/right sides to meet the needs and preferences of both partners and ā€œbuild your own mattressā€ by building your own side. It may be simpler as you can avail yourself of the help of a trusted and knowledgeable manufacturer or retailer such as the ones Iā€™ll list a little lower in my reply.

I would rather focus on high-quality componentry within a mattress and not necessarily on ā€œhigher-end mattressesā€ or super premium brands unless you have a very high budget and thatā€™s not an issue for you. In higher-end mattresses, you usually pay for exceptionally high-quality hand-built and tufted mattresses that use ultra-high-quality materials and components (e.g Vi Spring uses natural fibers and in house made pocket coils made in different tensions and layering) All you need is high-quality componentry to achieve durability and what matters most the 2 important functions of a mattress which are pressure relief and alignment. But you can read more in this post about this in this post by Phoenix here about ultra-premium brands

If your budget is not that high, then you can find many latex and latex hybrid offerings from the Trusted Members of the site such asArizona Premium, orCustom Sleep Technology where you can fill out aBody Profile to receive customized recommendations; orFloBeds whose VZone zoned mattress allows for exchanging layers as needs change over time, andMattress To Gowho is one of the Sleep Experts here in our forum. You also might take a look at the 12" Cozy Embrace Solid Organic Latex Mattress offered by Trusted Member of the site CozyPure, or theLatex Nirvana Firm carried by Trusted Member Shovlin Mattress Factoryā€¦these are all experienced, vetted manufacturers with quality construction and transparency in their components and construction and generous return/exchange policies. By providing a little information on your elderly momā€™s Stats and PPP, they can work with you to recommend a mattress she will find supportive and comfortable. With a little more work, you should be successful in your search.

I hope this helps,

~ Basilio

Hello, I should have mentioned she is used to her 20+yr old Firm King Beautyrest, which is still like new but hurricane damaged so sheā€™ll be moving into smaller place, so a queen size is more suitable. I just donā€™t trust any of these mattress manufacturers, they put so many layers that sagging, indentations etc are possible, plus the price point seems unjustified. I made my own mattress out of a L&G Bolsa Coil with 1" HR24 (2.6lb density) foam on each side so can be flipped and itā€™s very comfortable, firm but by using just 1" of the HR24 it spreads out the weight over the coils so is conforming as well. I tried both pieces of the HR foam 2" and it lost the conforming from the coils. Itā€™s as comfortable for me as it is for my child. It was more difficult aligning the foam on both sides while trying to zip up a stretch cover, but for her, sheā€™s not going to be flipping a mattress so would be a lot easier with a regular drop in style mattress cover. Being that she only weighs around 100lbs Iā€™d think that would do for her. I was going to add a latex topper but itā€™s fine as is; if she needed a bit more cushioning the topper could be added. I went with the bolsa just to keep things simple not knowing how a firmer 1/3 section might affect me, as I sit up in bed a lot to read, but for her the combizone might be good; she is a side/stomach sleeper as am I. I was hoping thereā€™s be something similar to her old beautyrest that could be tried out in store. We mostly have the chain mattress stores around here; that is what I was inquiring about, an in-store mattress of good quality.

Hi Alpharalpha,

You are wise to avoid the major manufacturers, as they do tend to have multiple layers of foam of unspecified density or composition. While your mother has a very low BMI, and itā€™s great she still found her 20+ year old Beautyrest comfortable, for similar price point you can get something much better constructed. You can find good mattresses at the larger mattress retailers, just make sure any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grades foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure that your Mom has adequate support.

Itā€™s great that you could do a little DIY for your own mattress! This sounds like a good build which is simple but very good both in terms of durability and construction. The polyfoam density you selected is great and aligns to the Mattress Durability Guidelines . I agree it would be best if you can just find a readymade mattress for your mom. Iā€™m not sure what area you are in, but Trusted Members Ghostbed have the GhostBed Luxe which is a memory foam & poly foam mattress that has a firm option and also Nest Bedding has the Sparrow memory and poly foam hybrid, and as well they also have the Quail memory foam mattressā€¦Both GhostBed and Nest Bedding are carried by some of the larger retail stores around the US like Macysā€™, Target and Walmart; These are all well-constructed foam beds made with quality components and she can try those To see if they fit her preferences. I wish you success in your new mattress journey!

~ Basilio