Looking for high quality mattress for elderly mother

Hi Alpharalpha

As you rightly imply, the “comfort” of any mattress will be unique to those sleeping on it based on their stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and their PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). You don’t say if she has a preference in mattress types, or if she has tried any types besides memory foam. It’s true that memory foam is liable to prematurely wear, creating ‘divots’ or ruts which is the case with lower-density memory foams, regardless if it has safety certifications or not. So I wouldn’t go for any memory foam or polyfoam mattress for which you did not manage to find out the mattress durability guidelines here. This is not the case with latex, which at your very low BMIs you wouldn’t have durability issues for any latex type, density (comfort levels ranging from soft to X-firm) so this would be the most durable solution. Latex will provide a long-lasting comfortable experience as long as she enjoys the feel and appropriate “comfort” level of whichever mattress you choose. As she has a very low BMI she should have no issues finding good support in a latex or hybrid latex mattress. It would be a good idea, if possible, to try out some different types and comfort levels of latex, and determine if she might want an innerspring coil layer or go straight layers of latex. You can go with a side-by-side split mattress with customized left/right sides to meet the needs and preferences of both partners and “build your own mattress” by building your own side. It may be simpler as you can avail yourself of the help of a trusted and knowledgeable manufacturer or retailer such as the ones I’ll list a little lower in my reply.

I would rather focus on high-quality componentry within a mattress and not necessarily on “higher-end mattresses” or super premium brands unless you have a very high budget and that’s not an issue for you. In higher-end mattresses, you usually pay for exceptionally high-quality hand-built and tufted mattresses that use ultra-high-quality materials and components (e.g Vi Spring uses natural fibers and in house made pocket coils made in different tensions and layering) All you need is high-quality componentry to achieve durability and what matters most the 2 important functions of a mattress which are pressure relief and alignment. But you can read more in this post about this in this post by Phoenix here about ultra-premium brands

If your budget is not that high, then you can find many latex and latex hybrid offerings from the Trusted Members of the site such asArizona Premium, orCustom Sleep Technology where you can fill out aBody Profile to receive customized recommendations; orFloBeds whose VZone zoned mattress allows for exchanging layers as needs change over time, andMattress To Gowho is one of the Sleep Experts here in our forum. You also might take a look at the 12" Cozy Embrace Solid Organic Latex Mattress offered by Trusted Member of the site CozyPure, or theLatex Nirvana Firm carried by Trusted Member Shovlin Mattress Factory…these are all experienced, vetted manufacturers with quality construction and transparency in their components and construction and generous return/exchange policies. By providing a little information on your elderly mom’s Stats and PPP, they can work with you to recommend a mattress she will find supportive and comfortable. With a little more work, you should be successful in your search.

I hope this helps,

~ Basilio