Looking for low profile (4") support pocket coil

I’m looking for a good quality, low profile (preferably 4") pocket spring adequate to be used as a support spring. Leggett & Platt makes a unit called Low-Profile ComfortCore, but I talked to them and they don’t recommend it to be used in an everyday mattress for an adult, but rather for a kid’s mattress or possibly an RV mattress.

Texas Pocket Springs makes a 4" spring that is specifically for a support spring. The queen size is available in 768 coils and 884 coils and are made in three wire gauges (13.5, 14.5, 15.5). I talked to the owner Martin Wolfson at length. Based on my weight 170lbs, he suggested the 884 coil unit in 15.5 gauge. Since he suggested the thinnest wire gauge (15.5) for me, that tells me this 4" unit would be adequate for someone much heavier than me in a 13.5 or 14.5 wire gauge. They have a nice lineup of low profile support coils that suit my needs.

However, the issue now is finding someone that has this spring and is willing to sell it as a component. I found one company (Savvy Rest) that uses this 4" pocket spring, but she’s not willing to sell just the spring. Savvy Rest sells their mattresses to numerous other companies that in turn, resell the mattresses. The companies are listed on Savvy Rest website, but there’s no use in talking to any of them, as they buy the compete mattress from Savvy Rest and not the components. I don’t necessarily need to find a company that uses this specific unit, but at least has an account with Texas Pocket Springs.

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Hi chevy:

Yes, the LP 4" mini unit is meant as an upholstery comfort layer and doesn’t feature the geometry to be used as a deep support layer, as you discovered.

If TPS make a 4" unit that they say will have a high enough compression modulus to be used as a deep support layer (this depends upon your application of the spring unit and if you’re going to use it as a mattress or something else, making sure the comfort material atop the spring unit is adequate to offset the higher CM), then your best resource as to where to find a dealer selling single components would be TPS directly. Perhaps give them a call back and see if they can tell you if they supply any component-style online sites. These reseller sites often don’t list the company making their innerspring units, so online searches can often be incomplete.

As for Savvy Rest, retailers aren’t set up to sell individual components unless it was a specific warranty replacement issue. I was a Savvy Rest dealer, and as you mentioned the mattresses are ordered and shipped as complete kits/units.

Maybe someone else on the forum is more familiar with single-component resellers and they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck!