Looking for new King Mattress/Boxspring

My husband and I live in Washington DC and are looking for a new mattress/box spring. He has back problems and I have neck issues w/ a chronic herniation that flares up from time to time. He prefers a firm mattress and I’d prefer more support to relieve pressure points. We are looking to spend up to 7k + to get something that will really provide a better night’s sleep.
We’re looking at Prana Mattress and also I’ve been told Charles Beckley is very good.
Would love any insight on either of those mattresses as well as additional options.

Thanks!

Also, does anyone have reviews for Naturepedic?

Hi juliannag,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

When you get to step 3 in the tutorial … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Washington, DC/Northern Virginia area (subject to the “value” guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Your budget range is very much higher than you will “need” to purchase a great quality mattress and I would be very cautious about going that high since the benefits of a mattress in that price range compared to many mattresses that are a much lower cost may not justify the additional expense.

You can read more about the Pranasleep mattresses in post #3 here and in post #2 here and in post #3 here and a forum search on Prana (you can just click this) will also bring up more information and feedback about them as well. As you can see I would be very cautious here because of the thicker layers of lower quality/density materials they tend to use in the top layers of their mattress which could be a weak link in the mattress.

You can see some comments about them in post #7 here. They certainly make some high quality mattresses but they are also in a more premium price range so I would make some very careful “value” comparisons. I’m not sure I would consider them if you can’t test them in person to make sure that one of their mattresses is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) unless they have a good return policy so you have good options after a purchase just in case a mattress you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (local or online) in post #2 here that can help you minimize the risks involved in each of them.

You can see some brief comments about Naturepedic here and a forum search on Naturepedic (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well. None of their mattresses have any lower quality materials or weak links in their design but of course it’s always important to make sure that any mattress you are considering is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP.

Phoenix