Looking for nice mattress for side sleeper in a reasonable budget (ideally large size)

My wife and I are both side sleepers (I’m 150lbs, she’s 220 lbs). I’ve had a hard time finding a nice mattress in the past and our current one we thought we liked at the store and now we both dislike it after sleeping on it for a year or so. We’re moving into a new place and wanting to get a mattress for life. What mattresses and brands do you recommend for side sleepers. Usually I like soft pillow top style mattresses and not pure foam mattresses (though I wont count it out or the possibility of a hybrid). I’d love a larger size too such as a wyoming king/large emperor. Generally we both sleep hot but we can control that reasonably well with cool sheets, a light comforter, and keeping the room cool. In terms of budget I’m thinking 3-10k depending on quality and willing to spend more for something really comfortable or a large size. (focusing on comfort over size though) These were the brands I had seen from looking around thus far (some might be out of our budget and a lot of them are hard to find a place to find to try):

Vispring
Savoir
Duxiana
Harrison Spinks
McRoskey
Winstons

Hi Ski23,
Welcome to TMU.

If you had the opportunity to read though our tutorials TMU Tutorial you will get an ideal of how to go about selecting the right mattress to meet all you PPP’s and body profiles. Your requirement for that larger size mattress is not one that is commonly available, but can be had, none the less. A few of the brands you selected does have the size that is in your preference.

I will only discuss for the moment mattresses that are available in that size.

I am also not quite sure what you mean by this statement. Are you saying you only like a traditional innerspring mattresses, but will consider a hybrid? Clearly, your statement offers that you do not want an all foam mattress.

I only mention this as I want to be clear of what you are seeking.

The other variable is the budget. I am just a little confused with the budget situation. 3-10k is a fairly reasonable budget and one that certainly can be accommodated. Although most of the mattresses brands you mentioned tend to exceed that range.

Savoir mattresses range in price from $12,850 (beds that take 30+ hours to make) to $87,350 (120+ hours) But does have that 84x84 mattress size available.

Winstons also makes a mattress in that larger size. 3-15k and has a 84x84 mattress as well.

One manufacturer in the US comes to mind that offers a hybrid that can be made in larger sizes.

Engineered Sleep Epic Duo

You can speak with Davis there and he can talk to you about all the combinations that are available.

The Wyoming mattress that they offer is actually the smallest of their larger than conventional mattresses that they make. So if you are looking to go big, with customized split comfort and flippable mattress they have all that you are looking for. If you lean towards a firmer feel over you would choose the Latex option. Or if you lean towards a MEDIUM to MEDIUM SOFT you would want the Latex Plus.

Hopefully, this will get you a jump start your search. Their largest model tops out at about 5k for the highest where the Wyoming hits at about 3k.

If you did want to venture into the all foam mattress then these folks have something to meet your sizing needs.
Wyoming King Mattress

They also have a sister company that offers Alaskan King Mattresses too.

Alaskian King Mattress

The good thing about Engineered Sleep is they will tell you all the specs for every layer of their mattress. They are not in the business of hiding what they make or what exactly the specifications of their mattresses are comprised with. Here at TMU we value that information. It allows for a competent and fair comparison when searching for a mattress and trying to predict longevity.

As much as I searched Alaska and Wyoming, while they describe the layers, they dont give you the specifications. That does not mean they may not tell you if you call them, it just means I could not easily gather that information from their website.

I took the liberty of moving your question to the “talk to the experts category” hoping that one of our Trusted Members might have a mattress in their line up that might meet some of your requirements.

Thanks! I am prioritizing comfort over getting a larger size (wyoming king/large emperor being as big as I’d want). Winston’s does have good options at that size and good price points but unfortunately they are online only which makes it pretty hard to know if they would be the one or even which of their mattresses might be a good fit. I could go up slightly in budget if it helps but I wouldn’t go up to 20k or anything. I will read through that guide you sent first and come back if I have more questions. One of the big challenges for me seems to be:
a. How to try the mattresses and see which models and brands would fit me best (I don’t mind road tripping within reason)
b. How to know whether I will like the mattress permanently just because I like it in the store. I know winston’s makes the argument that they don’t do in store because of that reason. But I also figure you could probably know instantly in a store a mattress you dislike. You just wouldn’t be able to tell if you love it or not possibly.

1 Like

Great questions! So, for me, trying mattresses in a store is a way to eliminate ones you know you dont like. Usually, mattresses that are too soft for your liking, you can easily eliminate.

It is very hard to go into a store and find a mattress that you can predict you will like over the long haul. What makes it more difficult is when the company of the mattress you try, does not offer you any competent and comparable information about the mattress and what inside that mattress.

I am not in the habit of criticizing companies. So lets say you go to a quality retail department store and you tell the sales person, you are interesting in a firmer mattress with a great support system. They bring you to a mattress you lay on it and it feels awesome. What exactly does that mean? You lied on it for 3-7 minutes, rolled around on it, sat on the edge of the mattress (the sales person highlights how firm that edge is) and the mattress is a beauty, luxury looking all the way. Those faux tufts look just smashing.

You hand over the credit card and 5k and a month or two down the road, you start to see butt impressions, lower back pain, and those butt impressions fail to rebound back into shape. So what happened.

First you should have lied on that mattress for at least 20- 30 minutes. The same amount of time that most folks take to fall asleep when they settle in to bed for the night. If a mattress has viscoelastic memory foam as a the primary comfort layer, lying on it for an extended period of time would have revealed that heat retaining, body swallowing, slow quicksand memory foam warmed up enough so you might have recognized your body started to depress in the mattress. When you sat on the edge and were so impressed with that firm edge, and the sales person boasts, “that is high density support perimeter edge foam.” What you are not explained, that if you continually sit on the same spot every morning and evening to put your shoes and socks on, and off, the edge is eventually going to collapse or depress due to you wearing that foam down. Whereas quality edge to edge coils may not have been quite as firm on the edge initially, they would be quite supportive and much longer lasting.

If you knew what the foam density of the mattress was, the gauge of the coils, plus, and the mattress has 2000 coils, but you are not informed that there are 1000 half inch micro coils that the manufacturer gratuitously placed in the mattress, serving very little purpose other than to increase the coil count (to sound impressive) that offer no supportive or pressure relieving effect.

This is why TMU and Trusted Members are so important. It is their passion to go over all the overlooked details when purchasing a mattress. Whether there is a TM that offers a Wyoming sized mattress or not, is not as important as the fact they are extremely transparent about what they put in their mattresses.

I happened to select my mattress sight unseen, solely based on the manufacturers specifications, I asked about it in their chat forum and they were happy to provide that info. There are those that say you should not buy without trying a mattress first. There is certainly some truth in that. But there are some trusted members such as @foxmattress or Custom Sleep Technology that will evaluate you based on your PPP’s and body profile and get it right over 90% of the time on the first try. Our Trusted Members, as independent manufacturers or retailers, have a vested interest in getting it right the 1st time.

While nothing is ever as good as actually sleeping on a mattress for a month or two and perhaps more to validate if it is the one, it is possible for professionals here at TMU and sleepers such as yourself can use the tools offered to help you make an educated and calculated decision buying a mattress based soley on specs, knowledge and preference information.

No one can tell you what you like, but with a bit of knowledge and education, I believe you can come fairly darn close.

Norm

1 Like

I do like the idea of purchasing from a place like winstons if it is feasible to get a good mattress without trying in person via methods like you mentioned. Especially since they have sizes I’m interested in as well as great prices and appear good quality. Also, there are some beds that I could probably find from competitors and if I like in store they might be able to find something comparable.
Vispring has a store fairly close, Duxiana is 2 hours away.

Another option if you like winstons is Millbrook Windsor 6000 I dont think it comes in the Wyoming size though. unless BIA can custom make one.

I’m not sure what I like exactly since I can’t exactly try the winstons. I just had seen mention of them being a good value and saw they have the large sizes. I’m going through the intro guides now to understand all the pieces better.

1 Like

Millbrook is another british brand, with similar characteristics of the winstons. It is the size that may be the issue. Depending on where you live you might be able to try the Millbrook. It is going to have that Aireloom type of feel with better materials in most cases. Of course that will depend on which model you choose. Millbrook range from the high 2k’s like this one Millbrook Hamshire 1 up to the Windsor 8000 Windsor
If you can find someone in your area that carries these, you can sorta, kinda, make a reasonable guesstimate of how a Winstons may feel.

Looks like there’s a showroom in DC like the Duxiana so achievable for a weekend trip.

1 Like

Let us know how you do!

Hi ski23, Welcome!

Vispring can do custom sizes and in a king size their Coronet fits in your price range, while the next mattress up, the Regal, is just a little bit over, but you may be able to hit a sale to bring that down. I’m not sure on the pricing for the 84 x 84 though. Someone at the Vispring store could price that out for you.
Vispring offers 4 different tensions for their springs, so you can choose how firm you want it, even by side. If you try a mattress in the store, they also have a comfort guarantee as well. Most people find them to be extremely comfortable.
We have a part of our site devoted to Vispring, feel free to browse it for information. Best of luck!

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll check it out and yea I’ll give the vispring a try soon since its only an hour away.

2 Likes