Looking for recommendations on a DIY latex for our toddler to grow up with

We’ve been on a coil setup for a while as my wife couldn’t sleep well on my 10" “Firm” synthetic latex mattress from Spindle Mattress circa '14. She said it was too soft for her preference. We’re now in the market for a Full size bed, our toddler is outgrowing her crib and we want to go with a latex mattress that’ll hopefully last her 10 years or so. Our toddler is 32" and 26 lbs; Both my wife and I are short, 5’3" and 5’4". She is ~125, I’m about 170 lbs; so we’re fairly certain our daughter won’t be much larger than either of us. She currently sleeps on her side or stomach, but that could totally change throughout time. I’m thinking 3" extra-firm dunlop base, 3" firm dunlop middle, and 3" medium talalay top. Would it be recommended to go with anything different layer wise? Or budget wise a 7" instead of a 10" since she’s still so small? (opting for another layer and case/ticking when the time comes)

Thank you all

2 Likes

Welcome, Lonnie!

7" should be sufficient now and maybe even later as well. You are correct in that you could add a top layer later should it be needed. With a extra-firm/firm configuration, she may want that extra layer of 3" talalay cushioning as she gets older. And of course, you will want to flip and rotate the layers at least twice a year to even out the wear.
What will you be placing the mattress on?

Best of luck!

1 Like

For a base, either a bunkie board, or a slatted frame (spaced close enough). We haven’t decided yet on whether we’ll want it low to the ground, or if it would be a space for drawers/storage.

2 Likes