Looking For Recommendations

What mattress would you recommend for someone who is 5’4" 220 lbs, BMI is 37.8. I have arthritis and have pain in my back, hips and shoulders when lying in bed. I sleep on my side mostly. Maybe 5% on stomach. I’ve never tried an all latex mattress.

Hello chickendogma and thank you so much for the inquiry! Based on the information you’ve provided, I would definitely recommend the 10" organic latex mattress with medium Talalay for the top layer, medium Dunlop for the middle layer, and firm Dunlop for the bottom layer. The top Talalay layer should provide all the contour and pressure relief needed to avoid any pressure point issues and will add secondary support to the mattress. Secondary support is needed to fill in the gaps between your body and the mattress – back sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between the small of their back and the mattress; side sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between their mid-section and the mattress. If these parts of a person’s body aren’t supported by the mattress, their muscles will work throughout the night to hold these parts of the body up, and by the time they wake up they’ve got back pain. So the top 3" of Talalay latex will provide contour, pressure relief, and secondary support. The remaining Dunlop layers should provide all the support needed to maintain proper spinal alignment and avoid back pain. Please keep in mind that our initial recommendations have a 90% success rate (we only have a 10% layer exchange rate and a 3%-4% return rate) so there’s a 90% chance that the above recommendation works perfectly for you.

Thank you for the recommendation. What about a springs and latex hybrid? Would that be a good mattress for me as well and how would you configure it?

We don’t normally recommend the Hybrid for folks 230 pounds and up because there’s a good chance that it leads to back pain from a lack of support from the coils. If you were to choose the 360 though, I’d recommend medium Talalay for the top layer, for sure. Here are a few more details on the differences between the organic mattress and Hybrid mattress, just to help you make the most informed decision on this - Latex and coil hybrids typically last 10-15 years and all-latex mattresses typically last 15-20 years. All-latex mattresses offer a much finer degree of adjustability than latex and coil hybrids do. All-latex mattresses can be adjusted to be slightly softer, moderately softer, much softer, or slightly firmer, moderately firmer, much firmer. You can increase the pressure relief slightly, moderately, or vastly. You can increase the back support slightly, moderately, or vastly. Since latex and coil hybrids normally have only 2 components (3" of latex and the coils) you really have limited options to adjust the mattress, and any change that is made is normally a big change. Not everyone needs the level of adjustability that the all-latex mattress offers. As such, customers will choose latex and coil hybrids if they’re 230 pounds or less; like the feel of a latex and coil hybrid; want a mattress with more edge support than all-latex mattresses; like the lower price point; and / or want to retain some of the feel of a standard spring mattress while getting some of the benefits of latex.

I’m 220 and I do like good edge support. I sit on the edge of the bed for a bit before I get up because of the arthritis and I also need to put footwear on before getting up as well. I appreciate your points though about the adjustability of the all latex. Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Not an expert like Sleep EZ, but here is an idea.

Im 5ft 11in and 225 pounds. Im back sleeper. Ive been looking into air beds.

Saw an article about mattresses for back pain on posturre.com. Yes, it has 2 r’s. They recommended C2 Sleep Number. That got me thinking. Sleep Number only has 1 air chamber and seems to promote hammocking. I researched Air Pedic. It had 3 air chambers including one right under your back/hips. Imagine being able to control firmness right under your lower back with the press of a button. You can adjust firmness of shoulder and legs too. I dont own one yet, but Im within a week of buying Air Pedic 600, 800, or 1000. They have a sale now. And no….I dont own Selectabed.

I did read the article on TMU about Air Beds. Im still trying it out though!

One more obscure idea. I saw a youtube mattress video about Reverie Dream Supreme Hybrid 2 mattress. I didnt know they made mattresses. They have these latex Dream Cells (toilet paper roll shaped latex cylinders) that have 4 firmnesses. It is infinitely customizeable because the cylinders that can be rearranged in any matter. So yes….you could make lower back region firmer or softer. Very exotic!!! Im trying to find one to lay on here in Los Angeles area.

Tldr….try adjustable firmness mattress.

Good luck!

John

Good question, I was also thing same.

Thank you for your input John! Interesting ideas I hadn’t thought about. I’ll definitely check them out. My sister who also has arthritis has a Sleep Number bed and she loves it. The thing I like about latex options is that it is a natural material and if wool is used no need for flame retardant. I’m sort of obsessed with minimizing exposure to excess chemicals. I also like the option of replacing a topper when you have a casing with a zipper. It is so hard to decide with all the different options. Let me know if you by a new mattress how you like it and what you got.

Chicken,

I called Selectabed yesterday and the salesperson told me that the top comfort layer can be customized to just about anything you want. He didnt seem to like latex much, but you could have it if you want.

I dont have the mattress yet, but if you have adjustable firmness and natural materials in the topper….whats not to love? I guess Selectabed will swap out topper materials til you are happy. I asked about Air Pedic availability and if I ordered today….it would take 3-4 weeks to get the bed and they are very backlogged. It seems to me that Air Pedic is quite popular. I was planning to drive up there today 9/16/2022. Lets see how they feel!!!

John

Did you try out the Airpedic today?

Looking at their website I see their out of my price range. I’m planning to stay under $2000

Chicken,

I went Selectabed. I was thoroughly impressed!!! The feeling of pressing a button and making back region firmer or softer is a dream come true!!! The 3 chamber design is key. I did not detect any hammocking at all.

I worked with Brian. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of Air Pedic. The 500 and 600 have a thinner comfort layer, and you can really feel lumbar part of bladder get firmer or softer. The 850 and 1000 had a thicker comfort layer, so the bladder was harder to feel. The 1000 is not better than the 500. Im looking for a firm feel. I actually liked the 500 and 600 the best!!!

Quick trick….I set all bladder settings to 99 so I could easily feel top comfort layer. I felt that 1000 and 850 top layer was way too soft. They didnt have 800 on display and Im told that top layer is between 600 and 1000. M

The topper layer is zippered and you can take out stock layer and put in a Tempurpedic topper if you want.

Brian told me that the top comfort layer would be largely responsible for side sleeping comfort. Bladder control not used much for side sleeping comfort.

I went next door to Sit N Sleep to try Smart Life King Koil. Has air bladder with 40 cells. Firmness adjustment from 1-9 with 9 being firmest. I liked 7, 8, 9 the best. (Air Pedic went from 30-99) Felt real high tech with all these sensors. No separate zone firmness controls. 8 firmness is for entire mattress with the “sensing” technology. No zoning. $8k for Cal King Lotus Plush Smart Life? Thats steep!

Air Pedic and SmartLife both good. I liked Air Pedic way better. I do see potential with SmartLife.

Im comparing Air Pedic to Aireloom Preferred and Air Weave and then making a decision. I have to say that Im probably going with Aireloom M1 Luxetop Firm or Streamline Luxury Firm. Luxury!!!

Chicken….I save up money for Air Pedic 500 or 600.

John

Thanks for the detailed post. It does sound nice to be able to adjust the support like that. I never sleep on my back but thinking about it now that may be because of back pain. Maybe if it was comfortable I would.

Chicken,

I wasnt able to try Air Pedic 800 because they sold it as a floor sample. Havent tried it yet. Id recommend Air Pedic 600. And maybe 800. I think that you back pain could be a result of your butt/hips sinking down too far and creating pain in lower back due to a bed that too soft. That is what is happening w my worn out Tempurpedic Deluxe. Go check back xrays on airweave.com.

Sleep Number C2 is $1200….get that or buy off craigslist. I have tried SN myself….but check it out.

John

Chicken,

I saw Best Mattresses for Back Pain on Posturre.com. They recommended Sleep Number C2 and Air Weave and a few others. BeautyRest L class extra firm. Go on airweave website and go to research section and look at lower back xrays. It looks like both of our back pain!!!

John

Chicken,

I wasnt able to try Air Pedic 800 because they sold it as a floor sample. Havent tried it yet. Id recommend Air Pedic 600. And maybe 800. I think that you back pain could be a result of your butt/hips sinking down too far and creating pain in lower back due to a bed that too soft. That is what is happening w my worn out Tempurpedic Deluxe. Go check back xrays on airweave.com.

Sleep Number C2 is $1200….get that or buy off craigslist. I have tried SN myself….but check it out.

John