Make your own mattress

Hi! I’m a 5’6, 126 pound woman with some fibromyalgia. I am thinking about putting together a mattress. I have two possible ideas…

Top layer 3 in Talalay in Medium
2nd layer 3 in Medium Dunlop
3rd layer 3 in Firm Dunlop

Top layer 3 in Talalay in Soft
2nd layer 3 in Medium Dunlop
3rd layer 3 in Medium Dunlop

The main questions I have about these configurations is whether the soft or medium Talalay would be best. I have slept on a poly foam mattress for years that has give to it, so I don’t want to be on a hard bed, but I also don’t want to feel enveloped by the bed.

Should I do the 3rd layer in Medium or Firm Dunlop? My thought was if I do the firm then if I need to do some switching of the layers I’d have more versatility than if I just do both Dunlops as a medium.

I am wary of the coiled springs, though they appeal to me from a weight (heavy mattresses are hard to lift to get those sheets and blankets on!) and cost standpoint. I worry that they will fail as it seems the springs are where beds sag first.

Thanks!

Hello Greyling

Thank you kindly for your inquiry! I am happy to assist you in finding the right configuration that works for your individual needs.
Based on the information you so kindly provided, I would recommend the second configuration, which is Soft Talalay over Medium Dunlop over Medium Dunlop. At 126lbs, the Soft Talalay will provide the contour your body will need, especially if you are primarily a side and/or back sleeper. The two Medium Dunlop layers below should offer plenty off support to keep proper spinal alignment. This configuration is what I normally recommend for my customers that are side and/or back sleepers that weigh less than 150lbs.

Should you have further questions, please feel free to call our office as well. Thanks again, and we look forward to hearing from you!

Latex Mattress Factory
800-637-0872

Thanks so much for this information! Another question is whether the wool/cotton cover adds much loft to the mattress. Again, thinking about the “sinking” factor with the 3 inches of Talalay… Looking forward to any Memorial Day sales, though I know you are already offering a discount.

Hello Greyling

I apologize for the delayed response! Our cotton and wool zippered covers adds an extra inch or so to the overall height when building a mattress. These covers are organic cotton knit quilted to about an inch of wool. For example, if you have 9" of latex encased inside our cotton and wool cover, the mattress will finish approximately 10" in height.

Please come back should you have any further questions! Thank you so very much, have a terrific day!

Latex Mattress Factory