Mattress cooling

I bought a mattress 2 years ago and couldn’t sleep on it because the reflected body heat was too much. I got a cooler that worked marginally well, but now it has failed. When I bought the mattress they salesman assured me that the cooling cover would work. It didn’t. Now I’m stuck with $1000 mattress.

When you say “cooling” cover, please define what you are referring to. Are you referring to something like the glaciotex that brooklyn bedding uses or what tempurpedic uses in their breeze mattress. Nothing really “cools” there are materials that do not retain heat the same as other materials. There are materials like gel infused that hold on to the colder temperature in the room longer. So you would be more correct to say a material is less hot as opposed to cooling. Unless you are blowing air conditioned cold air on it. When you think of gel, think of a gel ice pack. It freezes and retains the cold until your body heat warms it up to your skin’s temperature. Usually around 90-94⁰. Cooling material on/in mattresses and pillows feel cool because most people keep their homes at 68⁰. Your skin temperature is around 90-94⁰ So if you lay on a pillow/mattress surface that has been maintaining room temperature, it is like jumping into the ocean when it is 85⁰ out side and the ocean water is 60⁰. Brrr chilly. Only your body warms the pillow or mattress up to your skin temperature in about 10-15 minutes and the “cooling” feature is basically gone. That material may wick away body heat to keep you from getting overly hot, but it doesn’t cool you any significant amount lower than your skin temperature.

Hi brevlantz, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

As @Maverick said so we’ll, it depends on what type of ‘cooler’ you are talking about. Various materials, like gel foams are called ‘cooling layers’ and help reduce body heat by using its cooler (room) temperature retaining properties; thee E er are systems that infuse cold water or air through cells inside the material; and you can use breathable diffuse materials like wool, bamboo fabric or coconut coir in a mattress topper or cover to wick away moisture and provide air circulation between the body and the mattress surface. As each sleeper is different, so are their needs in a sleep solution…tell us a bit more to understand what you might need.

~ Basilio

1 Like