Mattress durability guidelines ... how long will a mattress last

I love bonnell coils mattresses breathability but Iā€™m concerned about their durability. All I can find is mattresses with an insulating synthetic felt and a foam layer (in Italy at least), like this https://i.imgur.com/sqcksqz.jpg
How durable is the felt layer? And are there hybrid alternatives without the foam (non Pocket coils)?
If the felt is more durable than the foam layer, I might buy a mattress without the foam layer and add a latex topping, is it a bad idea?

Hi Arzack,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

There are some very durable Bonnell spring units available. Like any spring unit, it would depend upon such things as the actual design, profile, turns, gauge of steel, tempering and number of springs.

This depends upon the thickness, bonding and density of the felt layer. Generally, a felt (insulator) pad is made from resin bonded recycled fabric trimmings for weight balancing, evening out the feel over lower spring counts, minimizing the feel of the coils, and preventing materials from compacting into the innerspring unit.

Iā€™m not sure what youā€™re asking here. A hybrid mattress is meant to describe a mattress using a pocketed spring unit with various foam layers on top, usually polyfoam, memory foam or sometimes latex. Iā€™m not aware of a mattress made using just a Bonnell spring unit and a felt pad on top, although I guess there certainly could be one produced somewhere. Your best bet for something like that would be from a local small mattress manufacturer who could customize an order for you, or form purchasing individual components.

A high quality felt pad can be quite durable, but it ultimately would depend upon the use within a completed sleep system. If you were considering using latex on top of a Bonnell spring unit, a felt pad certainly would be desirable, as youā€™d want a flatter surface so as to not feel the springs through the latex.

Phoenix

Hello. I have read this and the mattress specs article, but I am still unclear: What are the best measurements to look for when shopping for a latex hybrid mattress? In other words, how thick should the various layers be? Are there any components which should be considered red flags? I am trying to formulate a checklist to rule mattress in/out. Thanks so much.

Hi nascarnole,

Regarding the latex in a latex hybrid mattress, as mentioned in the mattress durability guidelines listed at the beginning of this thread, any latex (Dunlop or Talalay ā€“ synthetic, blended or natural), would be considered a high quality material and unlikely to reduce the useful life of a hybrid mattress.

Both Dunlop and Talalay have their own unique comfort characteristics, and the differences between them are summarized in post #6 here. The preference of choosing one type over the other would be a personal, and not a quality, choice, and the ability to be able to test something similar in person (if ordering online) would be the best way to determine if you had an affinity for one version of the latex versus another.

Regarding the innerspring support unit, this would most often be some version of a pocketed spring unit in a latex hybrid mattress, and again this usually isnā€™t the ā€œweak linkā€ within a mattress. Some manufacturers will offer a few different pocketed spring options (often something adding zoning or perhaps a firmer spring unit) that they might recommend for different sleeping posture, BMIs or personal preferences.

The best advice I can provide when you canā€™t test a mattress in person is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help ā€œtalk you throughā€ the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and ā€œfeelā€ of the different latex materials and spring units and the options they have available that may be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the ā€œaveragesā€ of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about ā€œmatchingā€ their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

As for thickness, the thickness of a mattress is just a side effect of the design and by itself isnā€™t particularly meaningful because whether a thicker or thinner mattress would be better or worse for any particular person will depend on the specifics of the materials (type, firmness, etc.) and on all the other layers in the mattress. Thickness is only one of many specs that are used to make different mattresses that perform and feel differently and that makes a mattress suitable for one person and not another. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. Regardless of how thick or thin a mattress may be, the most important part of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress is how suitable it is ā€œas a wholeā€ for your particular body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) regardless of how thick it may be.

I hope that helps makes things a bit easier to understand.

Phoenix

So, if my husband has a BMI that is 34 and he is a back sleeper and my BMI is 19 and I am a side sleeper, I assume I go with materials best for him?
I have been reading for hours and I am still so confused. I do believe I am to the point of overthinking this purchase. However, our current bed situation is so bad and has been for so long I donā€™t want to make the same mistake again!

Hey amyvols93,

Something that is suitable for someone petite such as yourself and being a side sleeper generally wouldnā€™t provide enough support for someone of a higher BMI such as your husband, so you may wish to defer to something appropriate for his BMI and then perhaps using a topper on your side of the mattress (if necessary) or perhaps consider a split mattress configuration (hereā€™s a sample from SleepEZ). Defer toward alignment/support first, surface comfort second.

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Mattress To Go

With a really tight budget itā€™s impossible to just ā€œchoose anotherā€. Thereā€™s a bit of a necessity to go with something that is within budget even if the company wonā€™t expose the specifics of materials used. Because of that Iā€™m wondering if someone could make an educated guess on what the quality of certain mattresses are or how well theyā€™d hold up for someone with >30 BMI.

https://www.amazon.com/LINENSPA-Inch-Latex-Hybrid-Mattress/dp/B076H77XB3

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0771MFY74 (in 10" or 12")

https://beloitmattress.com/product/innerspring-majestic/ (Queen)

https://beloitmattress.com/product/majestic-plush-top/ (Queen)

https://www.flexuscomfort.com/mattresses/spring-mattresses/max-rest-double-regular-top.html (Queen)

Or if you could recommend other Queen size beds that wonā€™t get hot and should hold up well for this BMI within a budget of $400 max Iā€™d appreciate that.

Related to this, are there mattress types that avoid ā€œmiddle dipā€ longer than others? My husband and I bought a traditional pillow top / spring mattress about five years ago and picked one that was actually firmer than we liked, specifically because we thought the firmer material would hold up longer over time. Itā€™s not been the case though - the mattress now dips in the middle to the point where it causes back pain for one of us (we can rotate the mattress so the worst of the dip is on one side and thus share the pain a bit).

Reading here I see how our thinking was flawed by avoiding the material we liked and thinking firm equates with durable, but Iā€™m worried about how to avoid this ā€œmiddle dipā€ again since all our mattresses seem to wear out that way first. Would a split mattress help stave off the ā€œmiddle dipā€ problem better? Or are we doomed because we end up cuddling too much in the middle? (I married a living furnace so usually this only happens in winter). My husband is 6ā€™4" and only 150 lbs whereas I am 5ā€™4" and 175, so our BMIā€™s arenā€™t really close either (although the side that has the worst part of the dip was actually his).

I was thinking about a latex or hybrid mattress if we try one out and like it, and also possibly getting a multi layer solution where we can swap the top layer as described above, that sounds lovely. Thank you for this thread of ideas!

Iā€™ve contacted a handful of companies regarding mattresses. Theyā€™re all ā€œbudget companiesā€. Some companies didnā€™t really reply and others didnā€™t pay attention to what I said (they seemingly canā€™t comprehend English) and gave me a completely irrelevant answer. Others gave a simple response which didnā€™t really answer the question.

One company has been pretty responsive and Iā€™ve been having a back and forth with them. They suggested based on my needs two mattresses that I was actually already considering.

I asked them various questions including information on the foam. They tried to resist at first but because of the wording they chose to use I was able to ask them to tell me the specifics as per what I was told by their agent.

Since they donā€™t normally give the information away I think itā€™s only fair to respect that they donā€™t want it shared, even though I disagree with it in general. Consumers have the option to grill the company just like I have in order to get this information for themselves. For that reason, Iā€™m being careful not to expose the companyā€™s brand name.

With that said, not only is this company doing a good job actually speaking English and following up with my concerns, but theyā€™re doing it the best out of any of the companies who Iā€™ve contacted so far. They did answer the question on their foam(s).

They told me 4.4 lbs per cubic foot and 18 ILD. I asked them which foam theyā€™re referring to and was told theyā€™re talking about the top-most layer (excluding quilt of course), the latex foam. The thing is, they have Latex, Gel memory and other foams.

UPDATE: They got back to me with the specs on all other materials. All OTHER foams are 1.8 pounds per cubic feet in density. So 4.4 lbs/cubic feet for the latex foam and 1.8 lbs/cubic feet for the gel memory foam and other foams.

For one of the beds Iā€™m considering itā€™s a 10" with 5.5" springs, 1.5" gel memory foam, 1" latex foam and 2" of other foam. It also has edge support foam.

I was told that they donā€™t have the information on-hand regarding the specs on the other foams, only the latex. They said they would get back to me on that (along with another question I had related to the return policy).

So I guess for one my point of this reply is to encourage people to pressure companies. Be polite but be firm and pay close attention to the wording you use and the wording they use so you can catch them in a logic loop if they deny a request and sort of ā€œpressureā€ them into telling you information.

My second reason is Iā€™m hoping with this information someone might be able to make some presumptions based on the data I DO have about the quality and worthiness of the bed for someone of >30 BMI. Keep in mind I have a tight budget constraint here along with a 10 year old, used when I got it, 6" innerspring with sags and springs poking through the mattress on both sides.

Hi mattress310.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing your shopping experience and for your caution and ā€œencouragementā€ to pressure companies to disclose the materials used within their mattresses. I completely agree that a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer. More than anything ā€¦ this site promotes transparency and the ability of consumers to find out information that validates the claims that are being made about a mattress that they can verify for themselves. Smaller mattress manufacturers and better retailers and sleep shops in general tend to be much more open and transparent about the materials they use than the largest manufacturers ā€¦ and for those that do this their quality and value is self-evident to consumers that have learned some basic information about the quality of foams and other materials.

Along with the newer ā€œbed in a boxā€ explosion ā€¦the drive for corporate profit at the expense of quality is what drives the industry even though there are literally dozens of smaller manufacturers who continue to build higher quality mattresses that cost less than their competitionā€™s lower quality and less durable products. Smaller manufacturers and like-minded retailers that maintain quality standeards offering better value products control so little of the market that they remain mostly hidden under the wave of advertising and marketing stories. Most consumers literally donā€™t know that they exist, even if they are within the same city or general area ā€¦ they are buried or lower in the search engine results and ā€¦ even if they did come to consumerā€™s awareness ā€¦ most of them tend to believe that the ā€œbrand namesā€, reviews, and the ā€œstoriesā€ that they hear advertised are somehow better than a local alternative who are completely transparent about the materials they use and very often take the time to educate and inform the consumer. This is a big part of the reason why so many smaller manufacturers have disappeared over the last decade.

There are more detailed comments about some of these unfortunate trends in the industry towards lower quality materials and mattresses in post #3 here and in post #12 here and in post #404 here.

Hopefully, your post will inform others and add a deeper perspective to the mattress shopping process in general.

Phoenix

I am following up on this question rather than answering it. I am wondering about 2 things mentioned in Bigspoonā€™s post.

Thing #1: middle dip: In my experience when a mattress wears out it gets this ā€œmiddle dipā€ you speak of where the middle sags. Since I am a stomach sleeper a sagging middle tends to overextend my low back and I wake up in a lot of pain. A really soft mattress also seems to cause this problem. So I am looking for a firmer mattress that is durable (wonā€™t start to sag in the middle).

Thing 2: ā€œSplit Kingā€ My significant other prefers a very soft mattress. So I was looking for a solution where one side can be firm, and one side can be soft. Particularly though, I would like one that has a continuous top layer (so there is no gap in the middle). When I have done a Google search for ā€œsplit kingā€ most of the mattresses I see look like 2 twins side-by-side with a gap in the middle of them. I was hoping to find a bed that looks like a continuous mattress. I found the Sleeptek Kama Flex Lift ($5,039) which is the concept I am looking for but it is out of my price range. Any help on anyone else who sells a mattress of this style for a lower price would be appreciated!

Hi TXScout2.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

[quote]Thing 2: ā€œSplit Kingā€ My significant other prefers a very soft mattress. So I was looking for a solution where one side can be firm, and one side can be soft. Particularly though, I would like one that has a continuous top layer (so there is no gap in the middle). When I have done a Google search for ā€œsplit kingā€ most of the mattresses I see look like 2 twins side-by-side with a gap in the middle of them. I was hoping to find a bed that looks like a continuous mattress. I found the Sleeptek Kama Flex Lift ($5,039) which is the concept I am looking for but it is out of my price range. Any help on anyone else who sells a mattress of this style for a lower price would be appreciated!
[/quote]

SleepTech Kama Flex is a 10" all latex mattress using 2" + 4" + 4" latex layers with a top 2" comfort layer being a continuous ā€œFloat layerā€. The split left/right configuration would certainly prove useful in your situation as it can accommodate both a stomach sleeper and a side sleeper partner preferring plush comfort options. As this may present a few special challenges Iā€™d recommend that you review the guidelines in this [url=Your sleeping style, preferences, and statistics - Your sleep positions - The Mattress Underground] Sleep Positions Article [url] so that you avoid hyperextension in a swayback position that can cause back issues.

While you can certainly find better value mattresses with continuous/float layer on top of split layers, Iā€™d make sure to you to reach out to the manufacturer/retailer of any mattress you are considering and ask for their guidance because of the large variation needed between the comfort configuration on each side of the mattress that you and your SO may require. Depending on your body type, weight and other personal specifications as a stomach sleeper youā€™d certainly need a firmer layering configuration which will not be suitable for someone requiring a very plush comfort option.

At a quick glance here is a listing (in alphabetical order) of some of our Trusted Members that have split king configuration options. You can contact them either directly or through the Ask An Expert section of the site to get guidance.

[indent]Arizona Premium Mattress here can guide you to a similar mattress of a DIY build.
Arizona Sleep EZ has 2 to 4 layer configurable natural mattress here and organic here
Flexus Comfort has an organic line here and a Natural here with different mattress thickness split configuration options.
FloBeds has also split & zoning configuration options here
Foam Sweet Foamā€™s Urban Green is also offered with split/side-by-side configurations. They recommend using 2" or 3" continuous top layer and even the support layer depending on the case, with the split applied to the middle layer and depending on the firmness differential to the bottom layer as well
MFC ~ for Canadian consumers ~ carry Presto customizable organic latex mattress with split/side-by-side configurations which also can be ordered with or without both 2" or 3" continuous top layer.
Sleeping Organic also has both organic & natural versions here side by side configuration
Urban Natural has Savvy Restā€™s Serenity here with side by side customization[/indent]

I hope this gives you a good startā€¦let us know if you have additional questions.

Phoenix

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but Iā€™m really drawn to the new Sleepovation mattress (700 tiny mattresses), but am concerned about durability. With a product this new, is there any real way to tell?
I just sold my Essentia mattress as itā€™s been too firm. Iā€™m 5ā€™ and about 130. By the time I get the sleepovation into canada Iā€™ll be in for a couple thousand, but their ā€œscienceā€ aka advertising really appeals to me.
thanks for the great site - thereā€™s a ton of information here :slight_smile:

Hi rjtj.

I moved your post to a new thread to open the topic to any questions about the product. It took me a while to get to it as it required a bit more research as the company and product are fairly new.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum and congratulations on your mattress purchase! :slight_smile:

SleepOvation mattress was launched Sept 2017 and funded through a Kickstarter campaign. Setting aside the gimmick video on their website, the cushion pocket spring design of the mattress called ā€œTiny Mattress technologyā€ has some interesting features. The 3" top layer of the mattress consists roughly of 700 foam rectangular prisms 2 Ā¼" x 2 Ā¼" x 3" encased in a fabric pocket. The site states that the foam is optimized high-density but they do not state the density of the foam which is the single main factor in assessing the durability of the mattress. While the design itself may work for some sleepers, especially side sleepers, Iā€™d regard the lack of transparency of foam density, coil gauge, etc as a red flag despite any big words used to describe this mattress and endorsements they may have. There is some information on their site regarding their construction that appears to be incorrect here (See attached screenshot). Generally, the mattress appears to be fairly soft, with the cushion pocket spring ability to adapt to the body shape, and a design that allows for air to circulate.

To add to the durability concerns, a great deal will also depend on the quality of the assembly process that attaches the 2 layers of pocketed cushions to the pocketed coils. Ultimately the company offers a 10-year warranty but Iā€™d take note that the refund policy will cost you $180 (USD) if you opt to return it in the 100 day period here :

From SleepOvation return policy

As youā€™ve already made the purchaseā€¦ Iā€™d be interested to find how it works out for you once you have a chance to sleep on it for a while and let us know how you are liking your new mattress.

Phoenix

I was going to ask about this mattress too! I have pressure points that nmeed to be adddressed so this appeals to me. At the same time, I question the durability and the ability to move around on this mattress! I see this thread is from 2020. How are you doing with the mattress?

BBB gave SleepOvation a C+ rating because it failed to respond to 1 customer complaint. Average customer reviews is ONE STA. Here are the complaints from the BBB website:

• Review from

• Debra M.

• 1 star

• 01/02/2022

• They agreed to replace our mattress under their warranty. However, they picked up the defective mattress on Dec 20, 2021. But, we still donā€™t have a replacement mattress on January 2, 2022. We have no other bed. We told them and they still have not shipped the replacement mattress. There is no excuse for taking the defected bed before shipping the replacement. I have slept in a recliner since Dec 20th.

• Review from

• Whitney B

• 1 star

• 07/23/2021

• ************** purchased for ******* March 2020; we did like it for 6months then noticed the sagging & dug further to figure out why a brand new product was already wearing out-the innerlayer that encompasses every tiny mattress(bet there isnā€™t really 700 of them lol) is the same fabric type material thatā€™s used in shipping. Like the paperfeel-thin see through stuff that would be wrapped around fragile items for sending through the mail. No wonder now thereā€™s a 2ft divot from hip to ankle area on the right section of our mattress! The left side is doing the exact same thing. Contacted customer service with the 10 warranty thing as we were using it like normal & no answer backā€¦only crickets chirping. Email & live chat support. Our local furniture company offers better deal than that place at 50% less that *******. Scam artist business this place is!!

• Review from

• Kwaku1331

• 1 star

• 02/20/2021

• I bought this mattress back in Nov 2019. I purchased a king size to upgrade from my queen size bed. A friend recommended it because I sleep hot and this bed is supposed to be cooler than the memory foam mattress and the sleep by number beds we currently had. We placed the order and 16 days later we received the mattress. We had purchased and setup a platform base for the mattress, once we laid the mattress on the platform we noticed it was quite smaller than the base, we then put on the sheets, also baggy but we didnā€™t think too much at first, it was much bigger than our current bed after all. The mattress was great, so great we recommended it to another friend and they purchased one as well. They got the same size as their current mattress and they said the sleepovation was smaller than their previous mattress, which made me realize maybe our mattress was also smaller than normal king size bed. This is where the problem started, about a month or 2 after the 100 day trial the mattress started to sag really badly where I lay and I started having severe back pain. I reached out to customer service to see if I could return the mattress for a refund or at least get a replacement and was told I needed to send a video showing all these different things for a replacement to be sent. Quite honestly I want a refund so I can purchase a better quality mattress, not get a replacement that will last me less than a year. Since I did not feel like jumping through hoops for a replacement without hope of a refund I ended up buying a $400 mattress topper to basically reinforce the bed to where I can somewhat comfortably sleep on it, but I am back to sleeping on memory foam which is much less comfortable than the $350 mattress I bought at Costco for my spare room. Also my friend who recommended the bed is having the same sag issue now. So we paid a boat load of money for a mattress that is not true to size and sags like a hammock with no recourse to get my money back. I recommend to avoid at all costs!

• Review from

• Liana N.

• 1 star

• 05/19/2020

• We are so upset with our experience with Sleepovation :frowning: We were finally able to afford some pillows that could possibly help with our severe back pain, and that was only because of the coronavirus stimulus checks we received. We were so excited to purchase from Sleepovation because the pillows looked like they could really help us with our pain and they had a lot of supposed endorsements from ā€œrespectedā€ doctors and athletes. Well, we opened the pillow boxes immediately upon receiving them and they were all rolled up and compressed. We let them sit for several hours and they didnā€™t really rise much at all, and one was taller than other. No big deal! We used them that night and it was not what we expected at all. Let me start by saying, nobody goes in buying a mattress or pillow planning to return it, but their advertising about the ā€œ100 NIGHT GUARANTEEā€ all over the place on their website makes you feel better about your purchase and to not worry (in the back of your head), in case something really does go wrong. Honest people donā€™t read return policies before purchases!! With that being said, the pillows were an awful experience for both myself and my husband. First, the pillow is not supportive of your head or shoulders, whatsoever. Your head lays at an angle, not sinking at all into the middle of the pillow. You have to set your neck and shoulder sandwiched around the pillow for any support at all, which in turn, puts pressure on your throat restricting air flow and making you feel like your choking because the pillow is so thin and not a supportive thickness at all. We both woke up with worse back pain than before we bought the pillows!..I have piriformis issues (hip), and my husband has bad back and shoulder issues. We have a pretty good mattress, but we were just looking for that extra support for our head to ease the pressure and pain of a misaligned posture at night. This pillow does not do what it is advertised to do, it does not look the same as the pictures, nor does it feel like it says itā€™s supposed to. I do not see any individual ā€œpillowsā€ in the pillow, nor do I feel that whatsoever. Now getting to the main reason for my review; of course we wanted to return the pillows after our bad experience, we tried 3 nights in a row with the pillows and feel worse than ever. Now in order to return, you have to email the company proof of receipt and you have to also pay return shipping, okay fineā€¦ not ideal, but we will do it. I get an email back saying that we can only return ONE PILLOW PER CUSTOMER backā€¦Really? Well the ā€œ100 day money back guaranteeā€ flashing all over the place did not mention that fine important detailā€¦And nobody goes and looks at the fine print of a return policy because we never PLAN to return an itemā€¦Sleepovation also didnā€™t go out of their way to make sure you know you can only return one pillow either! (Deceitful company practice!) So the marketing scam was successful by Sleepovation, because they advertise all over the place the ā€œ100 night guaranteeā€, because who the hell would think to look and verify that BOTH pillows would be included in this guarantee??? If this was a company that was honest and not trying to scam people, they wouldnā€™t have such a ridiculous stipulation on only one pillow being able to be returned in their ā€œ100 night guaranteeā€. What a huge disappointment this company is! Go with another company if you donā€™t want to deal with hidden surprises that are absolutely unfair and deceitful! We donā€™t make much money at all and now weā€™re not able to purchase another pillow brand because Sleepovation wonā€™t let us return both pillows that are faulty and did not perform as promised! Even with their ā€œ100 day guaranteeā€, and even with us having to pay return shipping! Stay far away and spend your hard earned money on an honest company product! AGAIN, an honest person with no intent on returning a product does not look at the fine details of a return policy! Shame on Sleepovation!!

Hi gregtames,

Itā€™s unlikely that @rjtj has notifications turned on on this 3 year old post, so Iā€™m quickly stepping in. Thanks for pasting those reviews, these customer comments only confirm the durability issues @Phoenix raised . I will say however, that BBB reviews are not as impartial as may appear. the BBB has been known in the past to be partial to their paid members, ā€˜scrubbingā€™ poor reviews for them, while leaving up bad reviews (even after satisfactorily being resolved) for non-members, so look at these reviews with informed, open eyes.

~ Basilio

That may be, but when I read such scary reviews I take them into consideration. I am not surprised at failure of this mattress, when the comfort layers are divided up into such small pieces. How can that provide stability for an extended period of time?

There are some alluring innovations in mattress construction these days. Even with all the advice on Mattress Underground my head is spinning with information overload. I was shocked to find out how much a quality mattress can cost these days. It feels like walking a tightrope trying to make the right selection.

Hi gregtames,

I realize now, rereading your post and my reply that I misunderstood you. I edited my previous reply as I agree with you that Sleep Ovations has clear durability issues ā€˜when comfort layers are divided up into such small piecesā€™.

Even with all the advice on Mattress Underground my head is spinning with information overload.

I know itā€™s a lot of information to digest but it will pay off when you finally find the ideal mattress that is both comfortable and durable. Iā€™m glad you have enough understanding to steer away from poorly constructed mattresse. Buying a new mattress can be a major purchase - depending on your needs and preferences, Iā€™m confident you can find a good mattress in your budget range with a little bit more consideration. I hope your search becomes a easier! Please let us know if you have additional questions.

~ Basilio