Mattress for 3 year old girl

Hello all.

First of all thank you for this forum! Amazing and overwhelming at the same time! The amount of information is truly mind boggling. I’ve been reading but I feel like I haven’t even scratched the surface yet.

What do the experts think about the following mattress?

FLEXPEDIC Deep Sleep Twin Mattress 10 Inch in A Box, Cloud Euro Top Soft Hybrid Mattress Made in USA, Memory Foam Pocket Innerspring Mattresses, CertiPUR-US Certified https://a.co/d/8DQAJ1q

From my limited understanding, it seems like it’s made in the USA, transparent about all the layers,not memory foam and certified foam which are all pros from what I’ve read. Plus the price is right.

I prefer to order from Amazon if possible for a couple of reasons, especially being that she’s only 3 I don’t see the benefit in having her try one out in one of the trusted local stores.

How off am I? What am I missing?

I would want to know why none of their websites are working, only Amazon. There is no information about this company anywhere that I can find. https://linktr.ee/flexpedic.sleep https://www.flex-pedic.com/
Flexpedic Sleep Not listed with CertiPUR-US® Directory - CertiPUR-US either. Just saying.

Thanks for the reply!

Are you implying that nothing in the listing may be true?

If the details are accurate does the mattress look good?

Are there any others on Amazon that you can recommend in this price range?

I just want to know who this company really is. Something seems fishy but I can’t tell because I can’t find info. I just want to verify the product is actually made in U.S.A. and by whom. The Law Tag affixed to every mattress will have the info. Maybe Amazon can provide a picture of that important info.

I guess if I can’t get the info I can just buy it and return if the law tag doesn’t add up.

If it is made in the USA, would it be a good buy?

If you like memory foam then it seems well under priced based on the specs which is why I see red flags all over it. Buy it, then post the verbiage on the tag and I can get back to you. Like you said, you can return it.

Will do.

Thank you for your help

ETA: isn’t this a hybrid? Which is better than straight memory foam for kids?

Hi sidesleeper18 - and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Great answers by @Arizona_Premium…the ‘transparency’ you think is there is not reality transparent, as they list no densities for any of the foam layers, and notations like ‘30D’ are pretty much meaningless. That being said, as it’s a mattress for a 3 year old…their body will be undergoing significant growth and change in the next few years. Is this something you want as a short term until they possibly grow out of it? If that’s the case, it likely would work; a child has constantly changing body and sleep profiles so it’s a bit different than assessing a mattress for an adult. As far as hybrid vs all foam, again a child has decidedly less support needs as their weight is not as much of an issue in the support vs. comfort equation, but this company raises red flags for me as well.

You say you want to stick to Amazon products, but you might want to take a look at some of the Trusted Members of the site, a number of who carry children’s mattresses of various types, to see if the price point with shipping for a mattress with better durability and transparency could be an option for you!

~ Basilio

Hi Basilio, thanks for the reply,

I was just trying to find something on Amazon that was better than Zinus and the like which I see are not recommended on this site. From your responses it seems like you don’t think so

Hi sideleeper18,

Well, any mattress purchase is a very subjective thing, and no one can tell you what mattress will work for you (of your child).
The problem with a lot of ‘big box’ and Amazon products is that you can’t really see what your buying as far as the durability and suitability of the mattress. As @Arizona_Premium said, the company has no footprint outside their Amazon listing, and their ‘specifications’, as they are, give the illusion of information without any substance…not that there aren’t perfectly good mattresses to be found there, and the listed mattress might be fine, depending on your expectations! But it boils down to fast Delivery and an inexpensive product versus the lack of details on the mattress (and company!) and the fact it may or may not
hold up over the next few years. We try to make sure the forum members are ‘informed consumers’ but you have your own ideas on what you are looking for and what budget you are considering…as APM said, you can always return it if it doesn’t meet your specific expectations!

~ Basilio

Hi @Basilio @Arizona_Premium

I took your advice and did not buy it due to the red flags you pointed out.

I’ve since pivoted to this one which seems to be better/ more transparent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BZN5W8NP/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The company seems more legit and it’s made in NJ.

When I asked for details they were very forthcoming,

The foam is 1.5" Polyfoam with 0.5 " quilted top.

Density - 1.7 LB 45 ILD

Thoughts?

Hi sidesleeper18,

Good call on not going with the mattress in your prior post- though the one you listed is not great; We suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support.

I took a look at the ottomans on; thanks for getting some of the specifications! Again, there is little transparency as you provided the comfort layer specs of 1.5" of 1.7lb/cuft polyfoam (which is below our recommended minimum density) they state ) layers but disclose no details on any of them… and as a mass market ‘bed in a box’ this may spend long periods of time compressed in a warehouse which can affect the structure & durability. Made in NJ is a point in its favor, but it’s impossible to assess the durability with the info provided.

Again, as this is for a young child, the criteria we have, being for adults, is not as critical in determining suitability, but if you are only considering amazon products, this would likely be fine for a while, though I would expect it to
‘wear out’ in a few years or less.

~ Basilio

I thought the 1.7lb of density was close enough- does the .01 make that big of a difference?

What kind of info on the layers are you looking for? They did send me this as well

Thank you and I apologize for all the questions -I am trying to learn!

Hi sidesleeper18,

Sorry! I misread some of their Amazon page…It’s true 0.1 difference in density won’t affect durability - as usually a child is lighter and won’t exert so much mechanical stress, unless an adult sleeps with them. You are doing really well! The company does disclose all the info a consumer needs to know so…this one may be the right choice for you! Please let us know your experience once you’ve received it and your child has spent some time on the mattress. And no need to apologize - questions are the path to knowledge! Good work!

~ Basilio