Mattress for lower back problems

Hello,

First, big appreciations for the founder and the community for this forum. It is a godsend to have a hub of unbiased information on a murky industry. Thank you.

I suffered what I suspect to be a herniated disc in my lower back area 3 months ago and have aggravated it due to what I believe is a problem with my mattress. About 1 month ago I started waking up every morning with my lower back/tailbone area feeling ‘overtaxed/overworked’. My guess is my mattress (coiled, ~8 years old) has become too soft and my butt and mid/upper back area sag excessively to the point of overemphasizing the lumbar arch. The problem has worsened with me experiencing constant sciatica and I have decided to search for a new mattress.

I did a lot of research on this site along with other sites. At first I had my eyes set out on one of the cheaper, newer retailers like Leesa but I’ve noticed that Leesa’s memory foam density is only ~3lb pcf. From what I’ve read here density of the memory foam is of paramount importance, as it would affect how much the mattress would sag beyond the natural position as well as the durabiilty. Is this right?

If so, as I am a big guy (5’11, 230 lb) and reading between the lines it seems like 3 lb pcf density may be too weak to support me for more than a year. Having considered that:

1. Would memory foam still be something that’s right for me? I like the idea of the mattress conforming to my spine’s shape’s needs but I don’t want it to sag extra (which is my suspected cause of the current problems)

2. if not, what are the opinions on these hybrid mattresses? I have not been able to find much literature on this site on hybrid mattresses. I tried the Simmons Moxie II hybrid at a brick/mortar store and I found it reasonable good and the concept (1’, 5 lb pcf memory foam followed by support foam for flexibility as well as support) to be right for me.

2b. Same with coiled mattresses.

1. Can someone recommend me a few sites that have been Underground approved, so to speak? I’ve seen threads where the Casper/Leesa/Tuft types have been called mediocre with allusions to low memory foam density without links to what the community would consider to be good places to order from.

Thank you in advance for your help

Hi Finalnub,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome.

I’m sorry to hear about your low back injury and subsequent issues.

The density of memory foam and polyfoam are certainly paramount for durability. The key will be finding componentry that will be of appropriate quality for your specific situation, which will then give you the best chance at have a successful comfort life, so I would always make sure that you find out theinformation listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components. Those in a higher BMI range want to be especially prudent in the choice of their components. For those in a higher BMI range, there is more information about selection a mattress in the durability guidelines here.

Specifically, if your BMI is 30 or higher:

Higher BMI ranges will need more durable materials and components in a mattress and in a BMI range of 30 or higher I would include any 1.8 lb polyfoam core or 4 lb memory foam as a “lower quality/density” material (relative to a higher BMI only) and minimize their use to a total of “about an inch or so or less” in the mattress.

Polyurethane foam: If your mattress is one sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher.

Memory foam (or gel memory foam): If your mattress is one sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

[quote]1. Would memory foam still be something that’s right for me?
2. if not, what are the opinions on these hybrid mattresses?
2b. Same with coiled mattresses.[/quote]

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

A “hybrid” mattress, as originally classified by Mark Quinn at Leggett and Platt, is supposed to be a traditional memory foam mattress where the polyfoam core is replaced by a pocketed spring unit. The term has been so diluted by the mattress industry now as to include any pocketed spring mattress that uses even as little as .5" of memory foam. Instead of shopping for mattresses based upon “classifications” (that may or may not be accurate descriptors or particularly relevant), I would instead advise you to focus on the aforementioned process outlined in the mattress shopping tutorial.

Regarding the Simmons mattress, the major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use the expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex and memory foam and other options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Appreciate your well-thought out response. I’ve read up on and honed in on Brooklyn Bedding after scouring through your recommended list. The robust latex seems appealing.

However, it seems like BB doesn’t ship for free to Canada (at least the BestMattressEver - https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/factory-direct-mattresses-in-the-toronto-on-and-gta-area) unlike a company like Leesa. Are there any retailers on the recommended list that would ship to Canada free?

On a related note, from what I’ve read (I live in BC which has the HST) this would qualify as importing under the NAFTA and it seems like we get to escape the import duties in favor of the HST. Would this be true?

Lastly, I realize that it’s been repeated that firmness and the resulting comfort is wholly dependent on the person. Still, I’m presented, if I am to go with BB, a choice between medium and firm. I feel like given my large stature and back problems requiring support I should err on the side of the firmer one, given that I can not try these on before making the purchase. Would anyone recommend a different approach to determining the firmness, given our lack of complete information?

Thank you!

Hi Finalnub,

For shipping to Canada I would make sure you call any US manufacturers for their shipping rates, and any taxes or brokerage fees that may apply as well as their return/refund policy for Canada as they will probably vary widely depending on the type of mattress that is being shipped (some may be able to ship UPS or have shipping rates that are discounted and some may require truck freight which is more expensive).

The BME has a $250 fee for shipping to Canada, and that covers the extra freight cost and I am told that covers all applicable taxes. For a potential return they ask for proof of donation to a local charity and don’t require return shipping. I wouldn’t have an idea about fees (or lack thereof) relative to NAFTA or HST.

I would rely upon the advice of the representatives of any company you are considering, as they are best set up to know their products and what might work best for your particular situation. Sleep ergonomic research does lean toward firmer support as a key component of time spent in the deeper phases of sleep, and it is easier to make a mattress that is too hard a bit softer, as opposed to trying to make a mattress that is too soft a bit harder, so if you were to lean in one direction you might be a bit “safer” and have more options leaning toward the firmer end of the spectrum.

Phoenix

Your questions have been directed to Phoenix, so I hope you do not mind getting feedback from a forum member, fwiw.

I would recommend treating the HST and/or shipping (and potential return) costs as a factor in budgeting your total outlay, but would be wary of treating those costs as being determinative of what you should purchase.

I think the best any of us can do is is to familiarize ourselves with Phoenix’s construction quality guidelines, try out what we can in person, and then have quality conversations with recommended vendors. You may or may not wind up with the perfect mattress, but you will likely never have felt pressured to buy right now, before a supposed deal “gets away from you.”

Most of the big name mattress retailers only stock what seems immediately comfortable to most people (fluffy whatever tops) - practically a guarantee of a sagging mattress within months. Their comfort exchanges only serve to lock you in to dealing with them and their inferior quality products.

That said, even following the guidelines, you may not buy your perfect mattress the first time around. Give yourself permission to be human.

Hi Trevor-h,

Thank you for taking the time to offer up your thoughts.

This is good advice. Look at your overall total price, and then factor that in as part of your personal value equation

This is why I normally recommend avoid the “big box” retailers, as the quality of product offered at these stores tends to be the larger “name brands” that often use lower quality materials. And if you do return something or have a warranty replacement, you’re usually locked into choosing another item of poor quality. While comfort exchange and return policies tend to be more important with online purchases where you can’t test an item, I would put them lower on the list of importance when you’re able to test out an item in person and deal with a knowledgeable comfort consultant and determine the quality of componentry. This will usually result in a mattress choice that is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and will generally be “close enough” so that if any fine tuning is necessary it would be relatively minor and involve different mattress pads, sheets, mattress protectors, or perhaps even a topper if a mattress is too firm.

Good advice!

Phoenix