Mattress selection wizard

Hi,
This is my first NewTopic. I’ve been a ‘lurker’ in the past and an occasional responder. But now I have a specific question. Since there are so many variables that go into fitting a mattress to each person, the best approach has always been to use a SelectionWizard that steps you though the selection process. Here’s my question:

Where on this web site can I find a MattressSelectionWizard?

Thanx…Chris

Hi cadman777

Welcome once again to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Glad to have you back both as a “lurker” and “responder”
You did not use your previous account as a “responder” but instead created a new account. It would be better for ease of reference and organization if the two accounts are merged. (FYI we found that there are no advantages to having several accounts and dispersed info)

Would you like us to merge the two accounts so that all your history and data are in one place? I’d be happy to help with that.

Thank you for the selection wizard input. Much appreciated!
Phoenix

Hi phoenix,
Sure, that’s what I thought I did.
It was a bit confusing trying to sign-in and all that.
Didn’t know it made me a split-personality!
So make me whole at your earliest convenience.
Thanx…Chris

Bump… :wave:
Thanx…Chris

Not sure if it is a “Wizard”, but FloBeds and SleepEZ both have a “Firmness Advisor” is basically a summary of their mattress experience into a computerized program.

They both give you recommendations on latex firmness, latex type, and how many layers. With that said, I would still call in to double check your layers before you order. SleepEZ claims that their Firmness Advisor gets it right 90% of the time. Thats impressive. SleepEZ uses Dunlop and Talalay layers.

John

1 Like

Thanx, but we already have a latex mattress and hate it. It’s 100$ Lalalay. It lasted all of 2 years before getting depressions. Now we awaken after a bad night’s sleep with neck, shoulder, hip and lower back pains. Never again!

Since most of today’s products are manufactured over in China and are the worst cheap garbage I’ve ever seen, I can’t imagine that any mattress made in China is any good as well. Plus, with spring mattresses, even if they are made outside of China, the steel will be called into question b/c China has taken most of the good steel to build their infrastructure. So I can’t imagine any spring mattress will be as good as anything made in the past before China came online and the American businessmen began screwing our nation. So I’m at wits end in knowing how to pic a good quality durable mattress made out of anything.

Take the Mattress Tutorial here….the best in the business.

A couple of exotic ideas:

1-Try AirWeave New Advanced mattress….I was amazed by it, but it wont work on an adjustable base….it must be flat. My back felt great on it plus it sleeps cool

2-Air Pedic airmattress with 3 air chambers per side. Imagine being able to adjust lower back firmness with the touch of a button

Good luck in your search!
John

The Mattress Wizard is……you!!!

Because only you know how that mattress feels to you.

Hi cadman777
I’ve sent a PM asking for your confirmation of which of the 2 TMU accounts you would like all the merging.
Note that all posts from the other account will be transferred to the account of your choice.

Let me know at your earliest convenience and I’ll proceed as per your instructions.

Good luck on your new mattress shopping journey.
Phoenix

Thanx for the referral Billy.
Thing is, I’ve had a SleepNumber bed and am not going to go ‘air’ ever again.
That thing cost almost $3k and lasted all of 5 years.
I really liked the bed, but the sides were made of cheap foam and other cheap garbage. And the company gave me a hard time when I raised the issue. Besides, their control didn’t last 3 years before the LED screen began failing, which they refused to replace for free. So far as I’m concerned, they can ‘step off’ (as my Aussie friends say). I’m being polite. I’d rather cuss them out.

At this point, I’m all the wiser, and don’t believe any of the b.s marketing that bed makers peddle. They’ve become as bad as USED CAR SALESMEN!

Thanx anyway for the info!

Cadman,

Id give Aireloom Preferred M1 Luxetop Firm or Plush and M2 Firm or Plush a try. Aireloom Streamline Luxury Firm/Firm/Lush a try also. Innerspring and latex….technically a Hybrid.

These felt great to me while I was trying them. Be careful because they are frequently under other names depending on region.

Give it a shot!

John

Hey John, thanx for the picks.
I’ll check them out.
I’m leaning towards spring type with foam topper, so that may be the way to go.
But I don’t want to ‘bend over’ when I go to the cashier.

I just looked at the mattresses you recommended.
I don’t want to say what comes to mind for the sake of being polite.
Let’s just say that if a mattress costs that much today, then the makers and sellers can go F themselves. The gouging and extortion in America needs to stop right now! In Europe they have a thing that their corrupt courts forced the common people into doing. It’s called ‘payback’. I won’t explain it, b/c it’s self-explanatory. We need that here in America, esp. against corporate executives, their investors and their ‘bad business’ which amounts to total moral depravity.
I’ve had enough of the grand theft to last me 50 lifetimes.
‘This homey don’t play dat!’

1 Like

They are expensive, but Id try then out first. Then you can find out if its worth it to you. You can often find lightly used mattresses at steep discounts

The Aireloom mattresses at $6-7k for a Cal King was better (to me) than even the $35k VISpring

The Airelooms are expensive. Waking up everyday in pain is also expensive. We live in a market economy……so you dont need to buy anything.

If you dont like latex and innerspring….what is left? Futons or memory foam?

Happy hunting!
John

I actually saw a few youtube videos about floor sleeping……thats too hardcore for me, but it works for some. Just throw down a few towels and you are good!

John

Anyone else in here - BESIDES BILLYIDOL - have anything meaningful to contribute?
Or am I on my own AS USUAL?
Where are all the EXPERTS?

I just got back from local mattress superstore. Technogel mattress was real interesting.

John

Hi cadman777,

This is my first NewTopic. I’ve been a ‘lurker’ in the past and an occasional responder. But now I have a specific question. Since there are so many variables that go into fitting a mattress to each person, the best approach has always been to use a SelectionWizard that steps you though the selection process. Here’s my question:
You are correct that there are a lot of variables to consider when choosing a new mattress; any mattress will be unique to those sleeping on it, based on their Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and their PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal Preferences). While the Mattress Shopping Tutorial, the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know, and Mattress Durability Guidelines provide a great deal of information and tips to begin searching for a new mattress, there is no ‘mattress selection wizard’, since there are so many variables in what determines a comfortable mattress for a consumer.

While some of the Trusted Members of the site, such as Arizona Sleep EZ and Custom Sleep Technology, among others, have body profiles or questionnaires you can fill out, these are simply tools, like your Stats and PPP, that assist them in helping you determine which of their offerings will work best for you. With all the different mattress options, and the whole spectrum of body shapes, sizes and preferences, it would be difficult to create a ‘one size fits all’ mattress selector which would actually be beneficial.

If you can provide your Stats and PPP, and a few mattresses or mattress types you are considering, we can perhaps assist you in determining what mattresses you may find most suitable.

~ Basilio

Thanx for the input Basilio.

At this point, due to years of being screwed by mattress manufacturers and sellers, I’m inclined to go ‘traditional’ and get a spring mattress with a separate foam topper.

Like I said above, there’s no telling what the quality of materials and workmanship will be today b/c nearly everything is ‘Made in China’, which means it’s junk. I’m being very polite when I say that. I buy vehicle parts, building materials, electronics components, and all kinds of other things that are needed to repair or build things. And the ONLY good stuff that I buy is either OEM or made in Japan, sometimes Germany, sometimes America, and sometimes Canada, rarely India, etc. I haven’t not found anything good manufactured in 3rd world countries. Most 2nd world countries make garbage too. So now, I just want to know WHO MAKES A QUALITY PRODUCT AT A REASONABLE PRICE.

I consider $2k for a mattress extortion.
Please don’t tell me rhetoric about me living in a fantasy.
I know what materials cost, how cheap corporate slavery is, the investor screw-the-world game, and I know how corporate extortion works.

So any suggestions where I might begin to look for a spring mattress and a 4" foam topper at a reasonable price?

Both of us are side sleepers primarily.
My BMI is about 22 and hers is about 32.
We both have permanent injuries in our neck and back from car accidents (not our fault).
We’re both in our early 60’s.

Thanx…

Hi cadman777,

Please don’t tell me rhetoric about me living in a fantasy.
I know what materials cost, how cheap corporate slavery is, the investor screw-the-world game, and I know how corporate extortion works.

I won’t tell you that at all…. In fact, this is exactly why TMU was started. You came to the right place. This is a community of knowledgeable, experienced, and customer-oriented manufacturers/retailers that don’t rip off and deceive their customers with well-crafted advertising stories for the sake of profit. From this perspective we constantly see disproportionate marketing efforts of corporate Mattress Industry instead of delivering plain honest bed quality and especially transparency so that you know what you buy and pay for. Ditto on the Chinese products as well. You can read @Phoenix thoughts about Chinese foams in post #6 here .

To start off just remember that it is not only about the quality of the materials (which should come first to ensure you’ll sleep well for many years to come without the mattress deteriorating) but also about how well a layering or construction will suit you and your wife… any mattress you choose will be unique to those sleeping in it. This is based on your Stats(height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions), and your PPP(Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). You might want to take a look at the Mattress Shopping Tutorial as well as the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and the Mattress Durability Guidelines to get a better feel for how different materials and components work together, and how long they can last. Thanks for providing some of your Stats; as you have varied BMIs and prior back and neck injuries, it’s important to find the correct comfort and support levels for you both, on whichever type of mattress you finally choose.

As for suggestions on where to find a reasonable, quality mattress at a reasonable price, the Trusted Members of the site have been vetted, use quality materials and are transparent about their components and construction, and offer great customer service with generous return policies; By providing them both you and your wife’s’ Stats and PPP and some mattress history they can assist you in finding a spring mattress and topper for under $2000…such as Arizona Premium Mattress who offer the Eco-Sleep Hybrid which has a Pocket coil layer and a 3" latex topper in plush, medium or firm…Flexus Comfort carries the Quadra Flex Hybrid Latex Mattress also with pocket coil layer with edge support and a 3" Latex comfort layer offered in soft, medium and firm, and Quality Sleep Shop offers a number of hybrid options with foam or latex comfort layers at far less than $2,000, even if you want an additional 1" topper.

If you don’t want to pay for the seller costs of doing business (which is included in the mattress of course) then you can choose the more adventurous path of doing your own DIY under the guidance of an expert. You can get components one by one from one of the component suppliers such as DIY Mattress, or DIY natural Bedding if you choose to go the organic route, or Arizona Premium Mattress.

Again, if you find a few mattresses you are interested in we can perhaps comment on how they may work for you same with opting for doing a DIY.

~ Basilio