Mattress Shopping Again around Boston

For years we slept on a mattress which Sleepy’s put together with Natures Rest years ago which I believe was a latex mattress but had lots of poly comfort layers. Lasted 13 years, but at the end was scooped in and no longer comfortable. I am around 200 lbs 5’ 11 and my wife is 5’ 3 130.

We bought a latex mattress from a local firm which is well regarded and is a sponsor here. It is flippable and fully Talalay Latex but only 8" thick. We got the firm one. While I find it comfortable I am waking up around 2 AM just about every night not for long, but it just seems I am not sleeping as deeply on this mattress. One thing is that it does not have any poly or foam other than the latex layers in it so my body does not sink in very much which I thought I would like.

We are about to exchange this mattress however am having trouble finding something they make that I like, so I went to Mattress Firm today and layed down on a Beautyrest “legend” firm. https://www.sleepys.com/simmons-beautyrest/legend-mcfarland-15.3"-firm-mattress/slp118039.html
Has a bunch of layers, probably gimmicky as it seems like they have “cooling, memory, etc etc”. I will have to say it is really comfortable. I am reluctant to get it though because of the comments I have seen here regarding the mass market manufacturers and their product leaving impressions in the comfort layer after a couple of years due to inferior materials but not enough to trigger a warranty claim.

Has anyone had any experience with these hybrid beds, which seem to be pocket coil, and then some foam layers?

What I am looking for specifically and thought I would get it in a latex bed, is firm with some quilted layer on top that holds up over time.

Hi NorthernComfort,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, you didn’t provide much information about your current mattress (overall configuration, time you’ve had it), so I can’t make any specific meaningful comments. Without knowing your current configuration and options for increasing comfort I can’t make accurate suggestions, but an 8" flippable all-latex mattress that is “firm” could certainly be something that might not have a deep enough “comfort cradle” for many individuals. If you’re looking to increase plushness, this certainly can be accomplished through additional/different ILDs of latex and doesn’t need to be done through the use of polyfoam layers as in your old mattress.

As it seems that you’ve decided to look at something different rather than staying with your current retailer, I’ll focus my comments on the information you’ve provided in that direction. And just for the sake of clarification, and I know it may sound like a bit of semantics (but it’s important to me), and for others reading through this thread, we extend commercial site membership to an exclusive group of retailers/manufacturers who must meet stringent qualifications, as opposed to “sponsors” in the traditional sense. Thanks for allowing me to make that distinction :wink: .

[quote]We are about to exchange this mattress however am having trouble finding something they make that I like, so I went to Mattress Firm today and layed down on a Beautyrest “legend” firm. www.sleepys.com/simmons-beautyrest/legen...tress/slp118039.html
Has a bunch of layers, probably gimmicky as it seems like they have “cooling, memory, etc etc”. I will have to say it is really comfortable. I am reluctant to get it though because of the comments I have seen here regarding the mass market manufacturers and their product leaving impressions in the comfort layer after a couple of years due to inferior materials but not enough to trigger a warranty claim.[/quote]

When trying out a mattress in person you can’t feel quality or durability. That can only be accomplished through learning about the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress.

Unfortunately, the major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

The term" hybrid" has become so watered down within the industry as to become meaningless, so I wouldn’t focus on terminology much but instead focus on specifications and componentry. A pocketed spring mattress certainly can be a comfortable and durable product, but it would depend largely upon the quality of foams placed on top of that innerspring unit.

That combination can be quite durable and comfortable, and a polyfoam quilted layer on top isn’t necessary to achieve plushness, unless you personally prefer the feel of polyfoam. The key would be making sure that the polyfoam quilt on top was of a higher density so as to be durable (see the guidelines I linked to previously in this post).

While of course not a complete listing, a good source of some spring/latex mattress (hybrid) providers is in post #2 here, and that can be a start in your search.

As you’re going through your research again, you may wish to read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

I hope all of that helps you refine your new mattress search.

Phoenix

I wanted to update everyone on where we ended up in our search for Mattresses.

At this point I will name names but there is no poor reflection at all as all vendors had GREAT business practices.

We did business initially with Gardner Mattress and we were impressed with the product(s). Unfortunately we had to do two exchanges as we were unable to get comfortable on either the pure latex product they had nor the hybrid either. They gave a complete refund and picked up the mattresses. That is beyond what other companies were offering and even though we ended up not doing business with them in the end the service was amazing. I would not hesitate to do business with them but would look closely at the product to see if it would work for you.

What we ended up with and are VERY happy with is a mattress from Yankee Mattress Factory in Agawam. We purchased in the Northampton store and had to pay to have this trucked to our home as we are outside their service area. We bought the Fairhaven and even with delivery it was less than similar big box stores by a lot. Very comfortable mattress, no nonsense construction (not a lot of ‘gimmick’ layers). So far so good two months in. I may not get back here to update anymore, but thought right now would be a good time as I know when I was looking it was difficult to find good information.

Hope it helps someone. I do know that the return policy for Yankee is nowhere as generous as the one for Gardner so make sure again that this is right for you. I am glad I did purchase. It was going to be this or a Simmons product but once I made the trek to this store after being educated here I knew I wanted this one.

Hi NorthernComfort,

Thank you for taking the time to provide an update. I’m sorry that you weren’t able to find a mattress that worked well for you at Gardner, but they certainly did go “above and beyond” in attempting to satisfy you.

I’m happy that you were able to find a mattress that you liked from Yankee Mattress Factory. The Fairhaven is a quite substantial and firm product.

Both Gardner Mattress and Yankee Mattress Factory are site members here, which means that I think highly of them, and I am glad that both have been able to provide you good service in one manner or another.

I do hope you’ll be able to visit the site again and provide future updates on your mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix