Mattress shopping please help

I am in search of a new mattress. I have had horrible luck with the name brands. I am side and stomach sleeper. I find that mattresses compared to 20 years ago have too much padding. When I roll onto my stomach my back hurts because the mattress is not firm.

I am looking for a 2 sided mattress since I sleep in the middle. Rotating front to rear doesn’t help much.

I am considering latex or a good quality interspersing. I am running out of local options, I live in Denver co. I have had poor luck with Mattress Firm. Urban Organics has been helpful. I did look at a Vi Spring I like the concept and the simplistic natural design, but I cannot afford it. Habitat Furnishings is interesting as well as MyGreenMAttress.

Can you recommend options. Compare and contrast layers v inter spring. Perhaps recommend internet buying options as I feel I have exhausted local options.

Hi Pengel,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here (there is a longer and a shorter version) which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

There have been many changes in the industry in the last 15 - 20 years and it’s certainly true that many if not most of them are for the worse (see post #3 here and post #404 here and post #12 here among many others on the forum that discuss this). The good news is that there are still many smaller manufacturers that are making great quality/value mattresses that use much higher quality and more durable materials than the major brands and they are available in any firmness level you may need in both one and two sided versions.

There is also more about the pros and cons of two sided mattresses in post #3 here and the posts it links to.

I would avoid Mattress Firm and other chain stores and the major brands and focus on retailers and manufacturers that are more knowledgeable and transparent about the materials in their mattresses (see the guidelines here).

The better options and possibilities that I’m aware of in the Denver area (subject to the “value” guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here. You certainly have many good options available in the area.

I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers, or materials because only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to know which type of mattress design or materials would be best for you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). I can certainly help with “how to choose” but the specifics of “what to choose” is always up to each person based on their own unique needs and preferences.There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress that can help you identify and minimize the risks involved in each of them in post #2 here.

The mattress shopping tutorial also includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step).

Almost all mattresses have several layers (including innerspring mattresses) and there are many different types and firmness levels of innersprings so your question really isn’t specific enough to be able to provide a meaningful answer. There is more about the different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here and there is more about how an innerspring support core compares to a latex support core in post #28 here if that what you wanted to compare. There is also more about different types of comfort and support materials that are used in mattresses in the “mattress support cores” and “mattress comfort layers” sections of the site and the individual pages that are part of both sections.

Phoenix

Thank you, I think auto correct helped change the meaning of my original questions. I was looking for a comparison between innerspring mattresses and latex. I found some helpful posts on the topic. It seems as thought both boil dow to personal preference.

I like your advice to stay away from name brands. I visited Verlo and Foamsource or Boulder Comforts. I found the staff at both stores to be helpful, knowledgeable, and low pressure.

I am leaning towards all natural tala lay latex from foam source. I liked the feel and simplicity. The Verlo bed can be customized but there are a lot of parts. I am more familiar with inter core springs but the latex appealed to my sensibilities.

The staff at Foam Source showed me how they are made and were very direct. I have no idea if Latex International (under a new name) is a quality source?

I have been lurking on your site for some time. I appreciate the content. I do hope I am on the right track. I have more confidence in buying a new car frankly. Your insight helps.

Hi Pengel,

That’s what I guessed so I’m glad I gave you the right link. It would be a preference choice yes :slight_smile:

Their Talalay latex is a high quality and very durable material and they are one of only two manufacturers of Talalay latex in the western world. Their new name is now Talalay Global. There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but latex of any type is among the most durable materials in the industry.

Foam Source make some very high quality mattresses that can be customized for your firmness preferences and if one of their mattresses is a good match for you in terms of PPP (and they also have a 60 day comfort exchange if your mattress is too soft or firm) and it compares well to your other finalists based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you then they would certainly be well worth considering as a final choice.

Phoenix