Mattress Stores vs. Tuft and Needle or Saatva Loom and Leaf

My wife and I have been searching some time now for a new bed. And…what we are finding is just what you have written all around this site…a bunch of smoke and mirrors. We are almost exact opposites. She is tall and skinny (~130 lbs), I am tall and large bodied (~250 lbs). She sleeps on her side. I sleep on my stomach; and sometimes side. She likes to lay flat, I like a little elevation (currently done by a triangular shaped pillow).

We have been to the stores and like the TempurPedic Contour Elite Breeze…but I can’t buy a bed that cost more than my first four cars combined. We also like the Beautyrest Black Hybrid (pick your model name by store :slight_smile: ).

A friend told us about the Tuft and Needle bed. It appears to be a good bed and everything I read about it is good; there are few poor reviews even when looking outside of their website. Even Consumer Reports gave it and the Casper rave reviews. But the T&N markets to work with an adjustable frame (I really like the “Zero Gravity” setting with elevated head and feet…and my wife really likes the vibration).

Does anyone have any personal experiences with the Tuft and Needle? Maybe even when used with an adjustable frame/foundation?

Also, we were looking at the Saatva Loom and Leaf. Any thoughts on that one based on personal experience?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ljj,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Hah – yes! :lol: With the price of some mattresses these days, you would expect to be able to drive them back and forth to work.

The major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay, which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

Tempurpedic mattresses use good quality materials, but as you stated they are in much higher (and mostly unjustifiable) budget ranges and for most people they certainly wouldn’t be in the best “value” range compared to many other smaller manufacturers that use similar (or in some cases better) quality materials that are in much lower budget ranges. You can read more about Tempurpedic in general in posts #1 and #2 here.

The Tuft & Needle is one of the earlier “simplified choice” mattresses, and it is made entirely of polyfoam, with a 7" 1.8 lb polyfoam core under a 3" 2.8 lb polyfoam comfort layer. For most people there would be no “weak links” in the mattress, but I would provide a slight caution for those like you who are in the mid 200’s or higher, as the 1.8 lb density base layer can reduce the useful life of the mattress for someone with your mass. You can perform a forum search on Tuft & Needle here, and there is a bit more about them in the simplified choice thread here.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many, if not most cases, they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words, reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

You can also see my comments about the Consumer Reports mattress ratings and recommendations in post #2 here and in this topic. While they may be a good source of information about more “objective” purchases … as you can see I would consider them to be an unreliable source of information or guidance about purchasing a mattress and their “ratings” are somewhat nonsensical and meaningless. My thoughts are also shared by most of the more knowledgeable people in the industry (see post #5 here for an example).

Most mattresses these days are made to be “adjustable bed friendly”, with latex being the most flexible, followed by memory foam and polyfoam mattresses, and then many of the “newer” innerspring mattresses (most often pocketed spring units) made to contour along with a power foundation. “Zero Gravity” is trade name to describe the semi-Fowler’s position (knees at about 135 degrees and hips at about 45 degrees), taking the stress off of the hip flexors and decreasing the lumbar lordosis slightly, and can be accomplished by any adjustable bed base unit having separate motors adjusting the head and foot section.

This is the memory foam offering from Saatva. They use a 5.5" 1.5 lb polyfoam core, on top of which is a 2" 1.5 lb piece of poly foam, then a 2.5" piece of 5 lb memory foam that is topped with a 2" piece of 4 lb convoluted memory foam. Saatva wouldn’t disclose to me the density of the bottom two layers (see post #2 here ) so I recommend to treat them both as 1.5 lb density. I would be cautious for those that are in higher weight ranges (more than the low 200’s or so) or perhaps even a little lower than this because of the lower density polyfoam layers and the 4 lb convoluted gel memory foam in the top layers. You can perform a forum search on Saatva and Loom & Leaf here, and there is a bit more about them in the simplified choice thread here.

If you haven’t already, I would refer to the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

If you have more specific questions, I’ll be happy to do my best to be assistive.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for your response! I read your review of the simplified brands and am going to look into the Brooklyn and kiss. Any thoughts on preference given my earlier comments?

We have a Tuft and Needle and absolutely love it.

Hi Ljj,

You’re welcome.

Both items would offer a more appropriate polyfoam support core for your mass. For sleeping upon your stomach, you may prefer the resilience of the latex in the Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever, but I can’t feel what you feel and that is a more general statement about the resilience of a total of 4" of latex versus the 1.5" in the KISS mattress. Both items use good quality materials. The KISS mattress is available in a plush and firm version, and the BME is offered in soft, medium and firm configurations. Both Brooklyn Bedding and SleepEZ are site members here, which means that I think highly of them. Both mattresses do have a good return policy should your choice not turn out as well as expected.

Phoenix

Thank you for your response!