Mattress support cores - latex

Hi ea.myers,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, but I missed your post from a few days ago, but I see you’re asking about one the same beds again, so let me combine my response to both of your posts in this one reply.

When considering a new mattress, I can’t help with “what” to choose, but I certainly can provide guidance as to the “how” to choose. The first place to start your research (if you haven’t already) is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Unfortunately they don’t provide any meaningful information on their web site regarding what is inside of this mattress. It has a 6" polyfoam core, on top of which is 2" of memory foam and then topped with 3" of memory foam, but no densities are provided. If you’re able to find out the information about what is inside of the mattress that I linked to above and post it back here, I’ll be happy to comment upon the componentry used.

Unfortunately they have no web site for me to look for specifics about their mattress, so you’d again need to find out the information of exactly what is inside of their mattress, specifically the type of latex used (Dunlop or Talalay, and the blend) and the density of the memory foam used. Latex is generally the most durable, and a high quality material.

There is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research. I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you call the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at websites.

I don’t know why they wouldn’t want you taking pictures of their products, as they provide little meaningful information either online or in-store, but they are one of the types of stores that I recommend to avoid anyway. The major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

Again, you’d need to find out the blend of the latex in order to compare (synthetic, blended or all-natural) for each mattress. The OK Mattress, being all-Talalay, would use good quality and durable material. I doubt that the Quality Bedding Co. uses a 6" Talalay latex core that is 20 ILD, as this would be extremely plush ILD and is normally used as a very soft upper comfort layer. And you’d need to know the density of the memory foam used. This mattress would have a very different feel form the all-latex model form OK Mattress.

If you can post back with the information I mentioned, I can do my best to provide more commentary for you on those mattresses.

Phoenix