Mattresses 24/7 on eBay vs SleepEZ 10000

thanks for your answer. I read post 6. no way to know what i prefer i guess without trying. but i still wonder if the ez pad by enclosing all 3 3" layers in stretch material would change the performance. seems this might be different than simply a cover lying on top. sometimes i sweat a lot and therefore have a waterproof pad on top of the tal. it has straps which bind the top layer. i guess this would change the compression. I would sink in less. maybe good, maybe not. easy to check. without the pad will the sweat damage the tal? is it possible to clean it?
I konw ozone is a gas. my point was if water can get through so can ozone. you are saying i guess that the cover reduces the air exchange and extends durability. do you have a source for this?

Hi church,

If you mean the type of cover that will protect the latex and keep it from oxidizing prematurely … then primarily the experience of many manufacturers I have talked to who have been building latex mattresses for several decades (and the experience of one manufacturer I know of that used a cover that was too thin and the latex was oxidizing too quickly and they had to contact all their customers after 5 or 6 years of so and ask them to replace the covers) even though the latex formula itself includes antioxidants to help prevent this. Ultraviolet (sunlight) is an even bigger catalyst for oxidation and certain solvents and heavy metals are as well.
There are a few sources about how latex degrades and its resistance to different factors in post #2 here.

Phoenix

the unquilted ez cover is on this page. can’t tell if it is the same as the pic you linked too. don’t see the regular rectangular lines but the ez pic lacks definition. does it seem the same to you? about the same price as 247

Hi church11,

I’m not sure which page you’re looking at. Can you provide a link?

Phoenix

meant to do that. this is from your page on where to buy stuff(my title),which i found on my own first and then had trouble. finding. here it is.
https://www.sleepez.com/mattresscomponents.htm

Hi church11,

If you mean the mattress cover that has square quilting then this would not be the same one and it is a picture of their wool quilted cover.

The unquilted cover that is in the forum picture isn’t pictured on the page although I believe it will be when they have completed some of the updates they are working on.

Phoenix

No i mean the cover on the EZ webpage “B ) 4 Way Strtetch Zipper Cover Non Quilted” which according to sean at sleepez is cotton and some stretch material, spandex i think he said. a little thicker than a sheet. he also said they have never sold a similar cover with the same small square design (unquilted, not the wool one with the large square design-it’s not actually all square in the pic you showed me-there are some small squares but it is a kind of maze-like design of small right angle lines) in the pic you are talking about. he says the ones on the web page are the only ones they have ever sold. maybe he is wrong.
this is the cover i think you are talking about. it’s at 247 at ebay. this is the one, right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWIN-XL-SIZE-9-Mattress-4-Way-Stretch-Soft-Cotton-Cover-Zipper-ENCLOSURE-/271072747152?pt=Mattresses&hash=item3f1d31de90

also you have talked about a cover affecting the performance of a talalay topper. what about one which encloses 3 3" layers instead of just one. would there be a change in performance beyond covering just one other than keeping them from shifting? this assumes no concern about breakdown from oxidation, chemical reaction etc,excepting mechanical breakdown. I’m not concerned at this point about the lower levels oxidizing and there is no uv light in my bedroom.

Hi church11,

I thought the one in the forum picture was the unquilted cover they sold and was posted by someone that purchased their mattress but they would know more than I would.

I’m not quite clear on what you are asking but the cover on a mattress will certainly affect how the layers inside it feel and perform. A stretch knit cover will allow more of the feel of the latex to come through while a wool quilted cover will slightly affect how the latex underneath it compresses.

If you mean having a mattress with a cover and then adding a covered topper separately on top of the mattress (or using all separate toppers) instead of having all the latex inside a single cover … then the topper versions would act a little softer than having all the layers inside one cover.

Is this what you mean?

Phoenix

what i mean is this:
3 layers of 3" talalay:
1.top layer has a stretch cover. bottom 2 have no cover
vs.
2. all 3 in one stretch cover together, say, like the one you showed me a pic of and is for sale at 247 at the link i posted-same one i think.

Hi church11,

OK … I see.

I would not use latex layers without a suitable cover at all.

Phoenix

Hi church11,
1.top layer has a stretch cover. bottom 2 have no cover

OK … I see.

I would not use latex layers without a suitable cover at all.

Phoenix

why not?, disregarding issues of ozone, oxidation,etc and the layers possibly shifting from time to time. how would the performance of the whole thing be affected?

Hi church11,

The performance would depend on the type of cover and its construction (less stretchy or quilted covers would affect the latex more) and as I mentioned previously loose layers would act “softer” than they would if they were inside a tighter cover but the main reason is that the latex would degrade much more quickly and it would create durability issues.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
you are correct about this pic from the forum:
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/latex-toppers-for-lightweight-curvy-people

it IS from sleepez (also at 247). From my description of the cover to Shawn, the president there on Sat. he said they had never sold such a cover. I sent the pic to him today and he says it IS their cover but the pic on their site is old. you were correct when you said it should be available to see when they finish their updates.
So- you said before this was one of the best covers you had seen. Have you seen it in the flesh or just in pictures? Shawn says it is about 1/4" thick. Asked if it would protect the talalay from deterioration he indicated not so much since it is thin but that sheets and blankets in addition would be sufficient. Your thoughts?
he says the 10000 series would fit 9" of tal.
also it is made of cotton and rayon not cotton and spandex as i said before.
Alan

Hi church11,

No I’ve never seen it but my thoughts are based on feedback from conversations or comparisons by others that have compared it to other stretch knit covers and of course knowing of the type of quality/value that SleepEz chooses for all their mattress components.

Phoenix