mattresses for murphy bed

We are adding on to our house. The new room will include a murphy bed. I will occasionally sleep on it. I also have a bad back. I have read that mattresses for murphy beds tend to sag or slump because they are usually in a vertical position against the wall. Can you give me some advice on choosing a mattress for a murphy bed? By the way depth of the mattress is not an issue. However, I would not want it to be too heavy for obvious reasons.

Hi sydrt,

I don’t have personal experience with a Murphy Bed but post #23 here and post #64 here may be helpful. I would tend to focus on an innerspring mattress (with helicals joining the coils rather than a pocket coil) or a mattress that has a firm and fairly “stiff” polyfoam support core but an innerspring would most likely be the better choice.

Other than that … I would follow the same steps in the tutorial post here as I would for any other mattress that wasn’t in a Murphy bed to choose a mattress that was the best match for you in terms of PPP, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

We have had a Bestar Wall Bed for the last 5 years and the mattress has never been a problem. We bought a 10" memory foam mattress to go with it. Even though it is on its side, it has never lost its shape. I also recently purchased a Cabinet Bed for our guest room. Similar to a murphy bed but fits into a box and looks like a piece of furniture. Mattress is also memory foam.