Mattresses for people who spend a lot of time in bed

Hello, my wife and I live in a small home and our living spaces (living room and basement) have become storage and work from home spaces due to the pandemic. We moved the TV into our bedroom and after the kids go to bed we spend an hour or 2 sitting/reclining in bed watching tv.

I am 5’11 - 170lbs side sleeper and my wife is a 5’ 6 - 120lbs side sleeper, we had a kingsdown mattress for 7 years that ended up with a body indentation after only 1-2 years in. Those body indentations got worse over time and caused me to have some really bad sciatic pain on both sides.

We just got a Logan and Cove mattress about 2 months ago (its fine, its firm and has helped reduce my sciatic pain) but we have already noticed some body indentations forming. We are worried that we are going to end up in the same scenario as the Kingsdown.

We are thinking of just shelling out the money and getting a tempurpedic mattress, mostly because of the brand name, but I have heard through the grape vine that memory foam mattresses do not hold up (indentations) for people who spend a lot of time in bed (beyond sleep).

Because this pandemic might still go on for another year here in Canada, we are probably going to be working from home and watching TV in bed for that time, and we don’t want to end up in the same situation with body indentations resulting in more back pain.

Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as we are and can provide some advice or insight.

HI Armaco3000,

Did you try to contact Logan and Cover to see if this is covered under warranty?
As for Tempur Pedic, they are good mattresses, but you can get similar quality mattresses for less if you research on this forum and buy from one of the trusted members on this site.
5lbs memory foam holds up quite well for those who spend a lot of time in bed, but you may get better results from Dunlop latex.

Please keep us posted on what you decide to do,

regards

Note from TMU Admin
We have. for organizational purposes in the forum, deleted your duplicate post from the general forum as MFC has addressed your questions. We appreciate your post and interactions in the forum. You are in great hands with MFC.

NikkiTMU

Your company markets latex mattresses. We are looking at your split king for a similar reason as the OP. My wife will watch TV in the bed while I tend to just sleep. Our current latex mattress has sunken on my wife’s side while my side is OK. Should this “time watching TV” affect the firmness of the matress we choose?

Also, on your website, it talks of 5 loose 2" layers making up a 10" mattress. Am I correct in assuming that these are 2" slabs that are unattached. Loose suggests shredded latex as in some pillows.

Because you use 2" slabs and are from BC, do you use the same supplier as Nature’s Escape, another BC latex bed supplier?

Hi TheNit,

The split king is 2 x TWIN XL inside a KING cover. This allows you to configure the firmness and comfort options for each side of the mattress. However, if you are going to place it over an adjustable bed, you wont be able to have one person in the seated position and the other is in the laying position.
If this is what you want to accomplish, then you’ll have to buy 2 x TWIN XL mattresses and place them side by side. This will be the same size as a king but allow you each to change the position of your mattress independently from the other.

[quote]Also, on your website, it talks of 5 loose 2" layers making up a 10" mattress. Am I correct in assuming that these are 2" slabs that are unattached. Loose suggests shredded latex as in some pillows.
[/quote] Yes, the 2" layers are loose (not glued) so that you can rearrange them at will. Loose does not suggest shredded as in the pillows, that is a completely different thing.

We have been partners with NE for over 15 years. They make our mattresses according to our specification and give us bulk pricing because of our high volume of sales.

Did I answer all your questions?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!
Mario

I did ask if the firmness chosen should take the TV watching into consideration.

Hi TheNit,

If the mattress will be used mostly in the seated position then we would suggest something like this:
2" Firm 40 ILD bottom
2" Firm 40 ILD
2" Firm 40 ILD
2" Medium 30 ILD
2" Medium 30 ILD top

We suggest you avoid the soft 20 ild as it tends to compress if it’s used in the seated position.

Another thing you want to do to avoid compression of the top layers, is to rotate the top two 30 ILD layers every 3 months or so. This will make them wear out more evenly and prolong their life span.

All the best