Memory foam comfort layer on dunlop support layers

I’m still having a hard time finding places that have dunlop mattresses to lie on. I’ll be going back to Savvy Rest soon. Neither I nor DH like the feel of talalay, but it seems to be far more popular than dunlop, especially for the comfort layer. I’m assuming this is because it offers a greater range of softness (if I’ve been doing my homework correctly).

I’m curious about using memory foam as the comfort layer over six inches of dunlop (firm/medium for him and maybe for me, although Savvy Rest recommended firm/soft/soft for me). Specifically, I was thinking of 2" of memory foam (maybe two pieces of 1" memory foam?) then 1" of latex. I’ve read here that multiple thin layers provide more cushion or softness than a single layer of the same material (at least for latex). I’m not that heavy (120-130 lbs, 5’4") but I almost feel that I could benefit from 3" memory foam with a sheet of latex on top. This way I could get some of the pressure point relief that memory foam has given me in the past with the support of latex. Is this just over complicating things? I know you’ve often said that the key is to find the proper mattress.

I’m also curious if talalay over dunlop feels different than a 100% talalay mattress. I find talalay too springy (it really irritates me, I want to punch it), he finds it too jiggly. I would guess it has these qualities even when it is a 2" or 3" layer over dunlop. I’m a little concerned that even soft dunlop won’t give me enough pressure relief.

Thanks for all the excellent information and infinite patience!

Hi Bouven,

This is more of a preference choice but I think you’re right that in general Talalay is available in softer ILD’s and would probably be a little more popular as a comfort layer than Dunlop although there are more softer Dunlop versions becoming available in the market. My daughter for instance prefers the “feel” of Dunlop from top to bottom while I personally prefer the “feel” of Talalay.

This would also be a preference choice (assuming that the memory foam is good quality and suitable for your weight range). Some people would like it and some wouldn’t. Memory foam is very different from latex (see post #2 here) but your own testing and experience is the most reliable way to know which one you prefer.

Multiple thinner layers of latex in the same ILD (unglued) would tend to feel be a little softer for some people than a single layer of the same material that was the same thickness and the same ILD because the thinner layers would act a little more independently but some people wouldn’t notice any difference because it would be slight and the comparison wouldn’t apply to different combinations of material. Again … your own testing will be the most reliable way to know if you can feel any difference. I wouldn’t tend to focus on “comfort specs” that won’t tell you as much about whether a mattress is suitable for you as your actual testing and experience. The specs I would focus on would be the “quality” specs.

For most people it would feel different yes but once again some people may not notice a difference if the comfort layers were the same in both. There is more about the difference in “feel” between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here but once again your own testing and experience is the best way to know the differences that you feel.

There are many people who have mentioned that Talalay feels “jiggly” to them but it will also depend on the firmness of the layers, the weight of the person, and the components and design of the mattress.

As a general rule … questions about what you may “feel” on any mattress or combination of materials aren’t really possible to answer except in very general terms because each person’s perceptions may be very different and only you can feel what you feel on a mattress.

Phoenix

I don’t know if you looked into the Kluft line but they have mattresses Talalay in the comfort level and Dunlop in the support level

Hi Spindst,

I would be very cautious with the Kluft line and make sure that you know the specifics of all the layers and materials in the specific mattress you are considering (see this article) and also that you make some very careful value comparisons with other mattresses that use the same or similar materials and are in much lower budget ranges base on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

I have looked at the Kluft line at Bloomies. Feels great on my “lie down” test. Price is good. They have some Close-outs. .Concerned about buying a Foam Mattress. Any thoughts??
Stew

Hi srtvette,

There is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses.

Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which is all about how well you will sleep on a mattress, the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is the quality and durability of the materials inside it which is all about how long you will sleep well.

In terms of durability and the useful life of a mattress, a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label and I would always make sure that you know the type and quality/durability of all the materials in any mattress you are considering before making a purchase so you can make sure that there aren’t any lower quality or “unknown” materials or weak links in the mattress before you purchase it (see this article).

Regardless of how it may feel in a showroom, the price of the mattress, or how well you may sleep on it initially … there is little value in purchasing a mattress that will lose the comfort and support which is the reason you purchased it in the first place and needs to be replaced much too quickly after a purchase relative to the price you paid and the loss of comfort and support isn’t covered by mattress warranties (see post #174 here).

If you can find out the type and quality of all the materials in the mattress that you would need to make an informed choice and post it on the forum then I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress as a whole. I would avoid any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the information you need to make an informed choice (see the guidelines here).

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix