Met My Match with the Mattress Industry

Hello,

I have always been the type of person who wants to research for days for the best possible item, no matter what item, but I think I have met my match when it comes to mattresses. I am graduating from college in May in upstate New York and I am searching for a king mattress for my girlfriend and I wherever we end up moving after graduation. I am 6 ft 4 in 185 pounds and my girlfriend is 5 foot 5 inches and 160 pounds. We are both side sleepers.

After we read up on the mattress guides on this site, we went to Syracuse today to get a general sense of what we liked. We first went to Raymour & Flannigan, which is a large furniture store with a sleep center. The salesperson was not very helpful in terms of explaining the types of foam but we were able to try a bunch of different types of mattresses. At that store, we highlighted these mattresses as most comfortable to us:

Sterns & Foster Estate Firm Euro Pillowtop
Sterns & Foster Lux Estate Firm Euro Pillowtop
Avocado Green Pillowtop
King Koil Elite Lux Ellison Luxury Firm

We then went to a local factory direct store called Mattress Makers of Syracuse to get a sense of a smaller-scale operation. We liked two of the options there. Both of them were two-sided mattresses with individual pocket coil innerspring. One had Dunlop latex and an all-organic construction while the other had 2.8 polyfoam as the comfort layer. The prices were more than reasonable but we currently do not know where we are going to be living and this company does not ship.

We followed that trip up with going to a furniture store called Olum’s and did this odd sleep test (Bedmatch by sleep to live) that had both of us lie on a mattress and it measured all of our pressure points. I have no idea the effectiveness of this machine but it was interesting nonetheless. It then gave suggestions for what mattresses we should try. We liked the following:

Go2Sleep Lux Hybrid Plush

Then we went to Macy’s to see if there was anything else that we were missing. There were no salespeople there but we did like the following:

Beautyrest Coral Island Medium
King Koil Orchid Firm
King Koil Jasmine Medium pillowtop

The next step is where I do not know where to start. It seems that we both like medium-firm mattresses but I do not know how to pick between the ones that we liked at the bigger stores. The mattress direct store looks great (I think) but is it that much better than the other options? Any advice on the mattresses that we liked in terms of red flags would be greatly appreciated. We graduate in May so we have a little bit of time to make the right decision. We are also getting a final decision from a potential job in Columbus, Ohio early next week that might allow us to get closer to My Green Mattress, Naturally Nestled, and Quality Sleep Shop.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you so much in advance!

Go back to all the mattresses you tried and try to eliminate some. A winner will emerge. Lay on each mattress at least 15 min. Dont get too enamored with comfort layer because support (keeping back aligned) is important too.

Try Aireloom M1/M2 in firm/plush. (4 mattresses) I like M1 Firn myself.

John

Thank you for your response.

After looking at the online inventory of the places we went to, only one carries the aireloom model that you suggested I believe. Olums carries what they call an Abstract Hues Streamline M1 Luxetop Firm. Is this the same thing? We will be going back to Syracuse soon (it’s about an hour’s drive) to widdle down the options. Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Not the same thing.

Ive never seen Streamline and Luxetop in an Aireloom. Streamline is a tight top. Luxetop is a pillow top. Go with Aireloom Luxetop M1 Firm. But Streamline is good too. I felt Luxetop was more luxurious/soft than the Streamline.

Aireloom Streamline Luxury Firm is best selling Aireloom mattress. With that said, I like Luxetop M1 Firm.

I tried $25-$50k VISprings and Airelooms. I liked Aireloom M1 Firm ($6k) over VISpring because of its soft comfort layer. Go figure!

John

Call them and ask about M1 Luxetop Firm. They are often rebadged.

John

Look on Aireloom website for a store/dealer.

@bhackett
If you eventually move to Columbus, we have several opportunities for mattress trials. The Sandman Sleep Shop on High Street has several online mattresses in one shop. There is also The Original Mattress Factory, a local manufacturer with several showrooms.
Naturepedic is also a well-liked, popular manufacturer in Ohio.

Perfect. Thanks for the info. The job said they would let us know by early this week and we are still waiting but I remain hopeful!

Hey bhackett.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum :slight_smile: and sorry about the analysis paralysis! You’re not alone there. It happens to the best of us.

This is usually the case in some of the bigger box stores, and with big name brands. They don’t love sharing the details of their proprietary foams. Sometimes, under the guise of not wanting the competition to steal from them. Other times, it’s because they know their foams are a weak link and an educated consumer will call it out.

What I’m gathering here, though, is that you’ve been able to test a lot which is important data! You are getting a feel for what you like and it’s less guess work and surprises when you do decide on a bed to buy.

What are you sleeping on now? What do you like and dislike about that bed?

NikkiTMU

1 Like

Right now, we are living in a furnished off-campus apartment that has a rock-hard queen mattress with no topper. We both did not feel like it was worth it to buy a topper as we knew we wanted to get a king in the future and thus the topper would be only a 1-year thing. I prefer having a mattress that is too hard than too soft I think. I do, however, not think that my spine is properly aligned in the bed and I am constantly waking up and going back to sleep through the night which was not the case growing up. I can also feel every movement of my girlfriends tossing and turning which could also be a reason for me waking up so often. The bed frame is also the noisiest bed frame in existence so that does not help. Any tips for a solid bedframe?

@bhackett

Have you considered an adjustable base? We made that move when we purchased our new mattress from @DLX , a trusted member at TMU. It’s an affordable option that will provide years of support and relaxation options.
While you’re checking out the bases @DLX, I encourage you to check out their Premier Hybrid mattress. Both bedding components may complete your entire wish list.

Thank you for the advice!

1 Like

@bhackett

You’re welcome. If you make it to Columbus and need any assistance with housing, opportunities, etc., I have hundreds of in-depth connections to share.
Best wishes to both of you.

@PapaMike My girlfriend actually got the job offer yesterday! so we are off to columbus today to check out apartments and neighborhoods. Any advice would be welcomed she is going to be working at Nationwide Childrens Hospital and I am just starting my job search

1 Like

@bhackett

Congratulations! Nationwide is one of the premier health facilities in Ohio and the nation.

Clintonville is a good place to start looking along with Grandview Heights. I own properties in both areas and can attest to safe neighborhoods along with plenty of attractions for young couples.
Best wishes!

@PapaMike
Thank you! We have done preliminary research and we would really love to be in somewhat walking distance of the hospital. A few complexes near the Columbus Commons seem intriguing given their proximity to the scioto mile. Do you know anything about that area and potentially a walk down main street to get to Nationwide? All I’ve been able to do is Google Maps Street view it and her shift would be a typical 9-5 so it would not be late at night. Grandview Heights is our next choice given people’s recommendations including your own but we will at least be able to go there tomorrow. Thanks again!

@bhackett

I’m very familiar with the Mile. Gorgeous! Lush parklands, waterfronts, food trucks, art, festivals, arena district, bike paths, walking paths, dining, etc.
It’s a popular and busy lifestyle. A young couple would fit right in. :smile:

The Mile

1 Like