motion isolation/motion transfer or split king

Hello,
My husband has very bad sleep apnea and we need to improve our mattress situation. We need a mattress that provides the best possible motion isolation and least amount of motion transfer. We are considering a split king to further reduce motion transfer.
We prefer latex for the natural factors in the materials. We need advice on which kind of latex to use and how to best pick a mattress
if we choose a split king. We don’t like the idea of two beds, but want to do what is bed for his apnea. How do you avoid the gap in the middle? Any advice would be most appreciated on the mattress and split kings…I am trying to read on dunlop vs talalay and still need help. We are in the metro Detroit area and are looking for a reputable mattress dealer for latex.

Thank you.

Hi qwebster,

[quote]We need a mattress that provides the best possible motion isolation and least amount of motion transfer. We are considering a split king to further reduce motion transfer.
We prefer latex for the natural factors in the materials. We need advice on which kind of latex to use and how to best pick a mattress[/quote]

The mattress shopping tutorial has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to know how to make the best possible choices and is the first place I would start. There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and more about some of the differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here but the choice between different types of latex would really be based on your own experiences and preferences.

With a split mattress then the type of latex wouldn’t make much difference with motion transfer because each side would work independently regardless of the material. Latex is also a good choice for motion transfer with a non split mattress but memory foam is better yet and is the most motion isolating and “energy absorbing” of all the foam materials.

The most reliable way to assess the motion transfer or any other properties of a mattress is with your own personal testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post and with both of you on the mattress. There are so many variables involved that “theory at a distance” will never be as reliable as your own personal experience.

There is more about “split” mattresses in post #8 here and in this topic that should be helpful.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Detroit area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix