mygreenmattress natural escape vs avocado mattress

I’m in the market for a natural organic queen mattress with a budget of 1500 dollars. I am a side and back sleeper that prefers medium firmness. I narrowed my search down to avocado mattress and the natural escape mattress by mygreenmattress. I was wondering what mattress you can recommend to me and if there are other organic mattresses that fit in my price range.

Hi saimantri,

The Avocado Green Mattress uses 2" of 75 kg/m3 (plush) Dunlop and 1" of 95 kg/M3 (firm) Dunlop. The pillowtop version adds 2" of 85 kg/M3 (medium) Dunlop. It is 100% NR latex that is eco-Institut certified. It uses a three-zone pocketed innerspring unit. The cover uses GOTS certified cotton and there is some natural wool used as well.

The My Green Mattress Natural Escape uses a three-zone pocketed spring support unit, on top of which is 3" of GOLS and Oeko-Tex certified 100% NR Dunlop latex (65 kg/M3 density). The cover uses GOTS certified cotton and Eco-Wool natural wool. The entire mattress is Greenguard Gold certified.

Both products use good quality and durable materials. My Green Mattress is a site member here, which means that I think highly of them and their products.

Regarding your request for an “organic” mattress, I think it would be helpful to describe the differences here between certifications like Oeko-TEx and eco-Institut and GOLS and GOTS. Most people that are looking for an “organic” mattress or materials are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification and they usually aren’t aware that an organic certification isn’t the same thing as a safety certification. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, C2C, and CertiPUR-US in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are also some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough. The Avocado mattress uses GOTS certified cotton in their covering and eco-Institut certified latex. The My Green Mattress Natural Escape uses GOTS certified cotton and GOLS and Oeko-Tex certified latex. Neither product is a completely GOTS certified “organic mattress” (that is not common to find), but the materials are all good quality.

As for as pointing you in a certain direction or making specific suggestions, my answer would be the same as in my previous reply to you to your similar question from one of your earlier posts:

[i]While I can certainly help with “how” to choose, the focus of this site is to not make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components, because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, price, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The best first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.[/i]

A good place to start for items using more “natural” materials would be the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex and GOTS/GOLS certified options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency, and many of them will offer products in your price range using more “natural” materials.

There are also other manufacturers creating products using more “natural” products with GOTS and GOLS certifications, if that is what you decide is most important to you, but I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of lists throughout the forum carry or what other manufacturers or brands not listed here on the site offer, as it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market.

Phoenix