natural latex mattress--which one??

I have been searching for organic latex mattress and I am so confused by all the companies. I hate buying something I have not tried. I am torn between a couple of companies. Any suggestions out there? I reviewed Plush beds; sleepez; flexucomfort and habitatfurnishings. I am unsure about having a glued mattress like habitat although they say it is non toxic glue. Any experiences anyone has or suggestions? If anyone has the layered system have you found it to shift over time? I’m on the east coast and there are not a lot of stores that have latex to try. Seems like I have to use an online dealer to keep the cost under 3500.

Hi macymom,

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

The glue that is used by most latex mattress manufacturers is water based and non toxic.

Latex is very “sticky” and doesn’t slide easily on top of other latex layers and Issues with layer shifting with loose latex layers inside a suitable tight fitting zip cover are very unlikely. If for some reason the layers do shift over the longer term then it’s a simple matter to unzip the cover and “wave” the layers back into position again.

There is also more about the pros and cons of a component latex mattress with a zip cover and loose layers vs a finished mattress with glued layers in post #15 here and post #2 here.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels and the options they have available to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Every good online retailer or manufacturer will generally make suggestions that they honestly believe have the best chance of success based on the information you provide them when you talk to them on the phone because this is in both your own and their best interests but again … at the end of the day the only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing in a store and/or your own personal experience so if you can’t test a specific mattress in person then the options you have available after a purchase to either exchange the mattress or individual layers or components or return the mattress for a refund (and any costs involved) would generally become a more important part of your personal value equation just in case a mattress you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

You can see some comments about Plushbeds in post #2 here and a forum search on Plushbeds (you can just click the link) will bring up much more information and comments/feedback about them as well. They use good quality and durable materials in their mattresses (natural or organic Dunlop and Talalay latex) and they would certainly be a “better than average” choice compared to most of the mainstream mattresses that most people end up buying. They do a lot of internet advertising so they do attract a lot of online attention for those that are looking for a latex mattress. They are also in a higher budget range than other similar mattresses and have less options available to customize their mattress so I would make some careful “value comparisons” with some of the other component latex options that are also available to you (including some of the members of this site).

You can also see some of my thoughts about Habitat latex mattresses in post #3 here and a forum search on Habitat (you can just click the link) will also bring up more information and feedback about them. Their latex mattresses use good quality materials but they are also more costly than other similar mattresses and have more limited options to “fit” their mattresses to different people, body types, and sleeping positions. They are also an “all or nothing” choice that don’t provide any options after a purchase to fine tune the mattress other than adding a topper (if it’s too firm) or returning the mattress for a refund.

SleepEZ and Flexus Comfort are both members of this site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. Both of them also have more options available to customize the mattress after a purchase by rearranging layers or exchanging a layer because the the bottom 6" of the mattress includes two 3" layers rather than a single 6" layer (see post #2 here). Forum searches on SleepEZ and on Flexus (you can just click the links) will bring up many more comments and feedback about both of them as well.

The mattress shopping tutorial also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that may be worth including in your research as well.

Post #3 here also includes a list of many of the online manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses with loose layers and zip covers as well (with some overlap with the members list).

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and you have confirmed that none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design relative to your weight/BMI range and you have talked with each of them there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a reasonable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on any local testing you have done, your more detailed conversations with each of the online options you are considering, your personal preferences, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress (or individual layers in some cases) and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

I can not thank you enough for all this information. I have a lot to study now! Great info. My zip is 19446 if you have any additional info or any bedding places to actually lay on the latex mattressess. I have found only one place but their mattressess were way over my budget. The online retailers have such better prices and seem to be what I am looking for. Thanks again for your help.

Hi macymom,

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Philadelphia/Wilmington/Trenton areas are listed in post #4 here.

They should give you a chance to test some latex mattresses so you have some reference points regardless of whether you end up purchasing locally or online.

Phoenix

Can you tell me if you think a 6" layer of Natural Talalay would be any different than two 3" layers. One manufacturer told me it was less durable because the integrity was tampered with but most of the manufacturers are going with 3 and 3. One of the manufacturers said they would only warranty for 10 years if I made the 6" into two 3" instead of the 20 year. What do you think?

Hi macymom,

There is more about the pros and cons of a single 6" core vs two separate 3" layers in post #2 here that should be helpful.

Phoenix

For what it’s worth, I did a ton of research, and ultimately chose SleepEZ because:

I wanted a natural latex mattress
SleepEZ has been around since 1976
They have a solid warranty
A reasonable return/layer exchange policy,
Charge no sales tax or shipping
Toss in free pillows and cotton sheets (if you have a queen bed, I recommend you get the queen pillows. I chose standard and regret it, as they seem a little small)
Have the experience to help you pick the right bed for your needs
Offer a quality mattress at a very reasonable price for latex
Don’t try to sell you more than you need
Have solid customer service

To be able to make the best recommendation, you need to be willing to be honest with your salesperson about your height and weight, body frame/shape, issues such as snoring, back or neck issues, and the most common sleep position(s) for the regular users of the bed.

One last thing, be sure you have the proper base for your latex mattress. Your old box spring (if you have one) is unlkely to work.

I never bought a mattress sight unseen before. It was a bit scary buying the most expensive mattress I’ve ever owned without trying it, but the risk paid off. I love, LOVE my bed and SleepEZ has a mattress customer for life…

Good luck with your search!

I have to second the SleepEZ recommendation. Bought mine 3 years ago. Went with the more expensive, near top of line, organic. even though I’m generally cheap when it comes to other furnishings. Sleep comfort (and health) is worth the investment. Yeah, a bit scary site-unseen. But I did try out latex in a couple stores to understand how it feels. SleepEZ people were very responsive and helpful. I exchanged a medium layer with a firm layer – which was a bit of a hassle repacking and carting to FedEx but the exchange took place quickly… Really love the mattress. It’s held up well (including one move)… .

Thank you! I also chose Sleepez and ordered last week. Awaiting my bed! Hope I love it.

I got my latex mattress and foundation from Sleepez. We easily set it up and I’ve been sleeping on it for about 1 week now. I absolutely love it!! My low back pain is gone. I wake up every morning and I’m not stiff or sore like I was with my old (6 year old) mattress. The company was awesome to deal with. They sent everything shipped in boxes well labeled. It was so easy to put together. I can’t tell you how very pleased I am…even my husband who was wary of buying a latex mattress loves it!! THank you everyone for pointing me in the right direction! I’ve told everyone about this website. PS, they honored the websites discount as well!

Hi macymom.

Thanks for letting us know about your purchase … and congratulations on your new mattress. As you know you are certainly making a great quality/value choice.

I look forward to hearing how your mattress is working for you down the road.

Phoenix

Hi, I’ve been looking around for an organic natural latex mattress. I’m confused about the pricing description of Habitat and PlushBeds as “expensive”. Habitat is selling their 100% Organic natural latex Queen mattress for $1,499. Plush beds is selling theirs for $1,899. I have yet to find a 100% organic natural latex Queen mattress for less. Synthetic latex is certainly cheaper, but may off-gas.

Would you be able to point me in the direction of a retailer or manufacturer that is selling a 100% organic natural latex Queen mattress for less ?

Thanks very much

Hi Minaldo,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Below are some of my comments regarding Habitat and Plushbeds. They do use some good quality and durable materials in their mattresses, but some of their items can be in a bit of a higher prices range, so I always advise to make your own personal “value comparison” when comparing some of their items, but they certainly would be a “better than average” choice compared to most “mainstream” mattresses.

You can see some comments about Plushbeds in post #2 here and a forum search on Plushbeds (you can just click the link) will bring up much more information and comments/feedback about them as well. They use good quality and durable materials in their mattresses (natural or organic Dunlop and Talalay latex) and they would certainly be a “better than average” choice compared to most of the mainstream mattresses that most people end up buying. They do a lot of internet advertising so they do attract a lot of online attention for those that are looking for a latex mattress. They are also in a higher budget range than other similar mattresses and have less options available to customize their mattress so I would make some careful “value comparisons” with some of the other component latex options that are also available to you (including some of the members of this site).

You can also see some of my thoughts about Habitat latex mattresses in post #3 here and a forum search on Habitat (you can just click the link) will also bring up more information and feedback about them. Their latex mattresses use good quality materials but they are also more costly than other similar mattresses and have more limited options to “fit” their mattresses to different people, body types, and sleeping positions. They are also an “all or nothing” choice that don’t provide any options after a purchase to fine tune the mattress other than adding a topper (if it’s too firm) or returning the mattress for a refund. While they are certainly a “better than average” choice compared to many mainstream mattresses … for most of the members here that are aware of the many other online options that are available to them they probably wouldn’t be in the best “value” range.

Specific to the models you mentioned:

I believe you a referring to the 8" Botanical Bliss mattress, which uses a 6" 28 ILD 100% NR Dunlop latex base from Mountaintop foam (not organic certified) and a 2" 19 ILD 100% NR Talalay upper comfort layer from Talalay Global. This item is not customizable. There is a 365 day return policy, less a $99 return fee upon item being returned to factory. The latex is not organic certified (which someone may be confused about per your description), but is Oeko-Tex certified. These would be good quality and durable materials.

I believe you are referring to the 10" Botanical Bliss mattress, which uses a 6" Dunlop core that is 100%NR from Arpico, which is GOLS certified, on top of which is a 3" layer of 100% NR Talalay from Talalay Global. The top layer can be had in 4 different plushness levels, and they offer a 100 day layer exchange for free, with a 100 day return policy (less a $99 fee). The Dunlop is organic certified, but the Talalay is not (which someone may be confused about per your description, and there currently is no organic certified Talalay latex). This mattress would use good quality and durable materials.

While I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses, prices or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market), in a quick glance (and this list is by no means complete and you should do you own online searching as well) I found options for similar items in the same or lower price range at mattresses.net, SleepEZ, Dreamfoam, Sleep on Latex, Latex Mattress Factory, and Spindle. Many of these items offer good customization/exchange options, and some can be combined with toppers to achieve the desired result. You can even find lower prices by creating your own component-style product (if you desire a DIY project) and there are some good resources in the component post here.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for a mattress with the Oeko certification. Which is why Habitat has some appeal.
https://www.foamsource.com/information/Organic-Latex-Mattresses-and-Oeko-Tex-Certification

Several of the “cheaper” mattresses you suggested use poly foam, i.e., synthetic latex in their mattress cores, which are manufactured with petroleum by products that will off gas.

A natural plant based latex is what I’m looking for, with no synthetic foam or petroluem by products. I think Habitat and Plushbeds both fit the plant based latex category, with no synthetic materials.

Hi Minaldo,

All latex you will likely encounter will have some sort of a safety certification, such as Oeko-Tex, Eco Institut, Greenguard Gold or Cradle to Cradle. This is different from an “organic natural mattress”, which you mentioned in your earlier post. Post #2 here has more information about safety certifications and there is more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are also some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough. And Oeko-Tex doesn’t certify the completed mattress – it is only a certification for the specific componentry that has passed certification that may be used within a mattress. Both the synthetic latex and the natural latex foam you would sample would be inert and render no harmful outgassing characteristics.

Polyfoam is not synthetic latex.Both synthetic latex and natural latex are equally “rubber” or “latex” except natural latex is primarily isoprene rubber that comes from a tree (which can also be synthesized) and synthetic latex in the case of latex mattresses is made from Styrene Butadiene rubber (or SBR). Both natural and synthetic rubber are stable and inert materials when they are cured. Polyfoam, in it’s simplest form, is a combination of an isocyanate, polyol and water, and would be considered more of a petrochemical item.

It seems as if you are selectively misrepresenting the offerings of the brands I listed for you, looking for the very few select models that might have polyfoam in them (which is not at all what you had asked about nor what I was directing you to) to advance what appears to be more like a promotional agenda, versus looking at items that actually offer value that are similar to what you were originally inquiring to assist you in your search. The timing seems somehow curious to me, combined with recent personal solicitous emails I’ve received from one of the brands you’ve mentioned, so for the sake of transparency and clarity I would appreciate it if you could please confirm that you don’t have any direct or indirect relationship to Plushbeds or Habitat (see the forum rules here ).

For me to be clearer and to assist you (or others reading through this thread), and as you stated above for mattresses with at least Oeko-Tex certification containing all latex, here are just a few options from the brief list I provided in my previous reply:
https://www.sleepez.com/natural-latex-mattress-models.html Configurable latex models, natural Dunlop or blended Talalay.
https://www.sleepez.com/organic-latex-mattress-models.html Configurable latex models, natural Dunlop or Natural Talalay.
8" Special using natural Talalay and natural Dunlop. Also toppers for DIY combinations.
Blended and natural Talalay latex toppers for DIY combinations.
https://www.mattresses.net/latex-mattresses-all-natural---talalay-latex-bed.html Various Talalay and Dunlop offerings in both finished and component systems, as well as foam layers for DIY combinations.
https://www.dreamfoambedding.com/product/ultimate-dreams-total-latex-mattress/ Natural Dunlop core with blended Talalay. This latex mattress does have a small amount of polyfoam in the quilt.
https://sleeponlatex.com/ Finished Natural Dunlop mattresses and toppers.
https://latexmattressfactory.com/products/naturale-latex-mattress Natural Dunlop latex mattress and toppers.
https://spindlemattress.com/spindle-natural-latex-mattress/ Natural Dunlop configurable mattress.
https://www.flexuscomfort.com/natural-latex-mattress-natural-comfort.html Natural Dunlop and Natural Talalay configurable options.
https://www.foamsweetfoam.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=196 Configurable Natural Dunlop systems.
rockymountainmattress.com/natural-latex-products/ Natural Dunlop and Natural Talalay mattress offerings, as well as toppers.
https://sleepingorganic.com/product/latex-mattress/ Natural Dunlop and Natural Talalay.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50272121/ Blended Dunlop mattress.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: sleepez.com/sale.html |Archived Footprint 2: mattresses.net/talalay---dunlop-latex-toppers.html | Archived Footprint 3: flexuscomfort.com/natural-latex-mattress-natural-comfort.html |Archived Footprint 4: foamsweetfoam.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=196

There are several good sources for latex layer and/or full cores. My reference points are a few of the members of this site …
https://www.mattresses.net/diylamaco.html Talalay and Dunlop (incl. slow response Dunlop)
https://www.sleepez.com/ Talalay and Dunlop
rockymountainmattress.com/ Dunlop
https://www.flexuscomfort.com/ Talalay
mattresstopper.com/ (Brooklyn Bedding) Talalay
https://www.matt-to-go.com/ Pure Talalay Bliss Talalay latex toppers
sleeponlatex.com/ Dunlop
latexmattressfactory.com/ Dunlop
https://en.memoryfoamcomfort.ca/ Organic Dunlop (Canada)
https://www.tmasc.ca/store/sfnt.html Talalay and Dunlop (Canada)

These include a wide range of Talalay and Dunlop layers of several types and thicknesses and are all recommended members of this site which means that I believe they have among the best quality and value in the country. Some other good sources include …
https://www.kttenterprises.com/index.html . Any size, thickness, or ILD for Talalay Global Talalay and well priced per board foot.
https://sleeplikeabear.com/ Has any size and thickness and ILD of talalay latex made by Talalay Global.
https://www.foamorder.com/ Also sells Talalay and Dunlop and their Dunlop can be ordered in 6" cores in a variety of 5 firmness levels. Also check their clearance items.
https://mattressunderground.com/the-underground/our-trusted-members Dunlop 3" layers
stores.ebay.com/mattresses247 Blended Talalay and 100% natural Dunlop (including zoned Dunlop cores)
https://www.ebay.com/usr/latextoppers Sells latex cores and toppers including organic Dunlop from Latexco that are accurately listed.
https://www.ebay.com/str/organicandmore Natural and organic Dunlop.
lakemattressandfurniture.com/bedding/toppers/ Dunlop
https://www.foamsource.com/shop/Latex-Mattress Natural Dunlop and Natural Talalay latex.

I know it can be confusing, with all of the terms used within the industry, but all latex foam (including 100% natural Dunlop and Talalay and organic latex) uses chemicals to manufacture the latex (see post #18 here) but the manufacturers don’t release the specifics of their compounding formulas, which is a closely guarded secret.

I hope all of this information is helpful for you - I know it can be confusing. If you decide to purchase from the brands you were previously considering, there’s certainly nothing wrong with the componentry they use, but in response to your original question there really are quite a few other options out there should you wish to explore them.

Good luck in your search!

Phoenix

Hi, yes it can be confusing.

I didn’t “intentionally misrepresent” anything. I merely went to the vendors you recommended, and noticed that the cheaper offerings you had suggested include man made synthetic latex and were not 100% plant based latex. Doesn’t matter what anyone calls the stuff, I don’t want synthetic products made with petro chemicals as part of my bed.

Thanks, I think I found manufacturers that fit the bill for me.

Hi Minaldo,

I’m glad you found something that suits your personal needs - excellent!

Phoenix

I am also in search of a mattress that would help to get a relief from my back pain. Is latex mattress good for that?

Hi thelmap,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Because each person is different in terms of their physiology, weight distribution, and body shape as well as the positions they sleep in, their individual preferences, and the specifics of any back issues they may experience, there is no such thing as a mattress that is “better for backs” in general because a mattress that is good for one person’s back (or back issues) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on, even if their body type, sleeping positions, or back issues appear to be fairly similar. There is only a mattress that keeps you in good alignment which would be best for YOUR back.

In general, what you would be looking for is a mattress with firm enough deep support and then comfort layers that are “just enough” in terms of thickness and softness to “fill in” and support the more recessed parts of your sleeping profile and relieve pressure in your most pressure prone sleeping position (usually side sleeping for those who sleep in this position) so that there is less risk to alignment in your other sleeping positions.

Latex is a popular component to use in a mattress for those with and without back pain due to the durability and comfort it provides, and there is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but in general terms all latex is a durable material relative to other types of foam so the choice between different types and blends of latex is more of a preference choice than a better/worse" choice as well. There is more about the differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here but the best way to decide which type of latex you prefer would be based on your own testing or personal experience.

I would keep in mind that the design of a mattress and how well it matches your unique needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is always much more important than the types of materials and components that are inside it or the type of mattress you choose. Each mattress category includes hundreds or even thousands of different mattresses and there may be several mattresses in each category that are a perfect “match” for you or any particular person, and there will be many others in each category that may completely unsuitable for you to sleep on.

I would advise you to start your research by reading through the mattress shopping tutorial, and two of the more important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress that is the best “match” in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

There is also some information about the many different symptoms that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most common causes behind them in post #2 here that may be helpful but the most common reason for lower back pain is a mattress that has comfort layers that are too thick/soft or a support core that is too soft.

The “short” version of all of this is that if you follow the steps in the tutorial one at a time you will have the best chance of success and one of the most effective “shortcuts” that can help cut through much of the confusion when you are buying a mattress is to focus on finding and dealing with knowledgeable and experienced retailers and/or manufacturers that have your best interests at heart (and aren’t just interested in selling you anything that they can convince you to buy). These are the ones that already know what you would otherwise need to learn (including the information in many of the links I listed) and understand the importance of choosing a mattress that is a good “match” for you and knowing what is inside any mattress that you are considering. They can provide you with the type of information and guidance that can help you make the best possible choice. Who you choose to deal with can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

I hope that information is helpful to you. I’ll do my best to answer other specific questions for you once you’ve had a chance to read through the information I’ve provided.

Phoenix

PS – I deleted your other post which was basically a repeat of this one for ease of people following this topic and for the sake of reference to replies.