Need advice

I was set on buying a Simmons Beautryrest Phillipsburg Plush Pillow Top from US Mattress, but stumbled upon this site after someone else had mentioned the Casper. After reading about the Casper, I also found out about the Leesa, T&N, and Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver. I’ve read the many threads about these one size fits all mattresses. My fiance and I prefer a soft mattress.

With regard to the materials of the layers, it seems like the Brooklyn Bedding mattress has better materials than the others because it uses Dunlop and Talalay latex. Is this correct? From the information I gathered online, it seems the T&N is firm and the Casper is a bit softer. However, I know this is all subjective.

All of these one size fits all mattresses seem to have similar trial periods and warranties. I couldn’t find any information on the warranty on the Brooklyn Bedding website. I emailed them and they said it was a standard 10 year/1 and 1/2" sag. I’m leaning towards the #BestMattressEver because it has 3 comfort levels.

I know there is mention that there are no weak links in the materials in these mattresses. I had posted on a different forum about these mattresses and was told to stay about from the #BestMattressEver because of the “blended Talalay” and “synthetic Dunlop”. I will quote the other member: “In short, if it’s natural latex blended w/any synthetic foam layers don’t buy just because one has more natural inches / layers than another - it’s all a bit of a waste because the synthetic will be what fails, way before the natural latex. Maybe an in. or 2 of dense foam as a base and a few 2-4 in. layers of natural on top could be somewhat of an exception but again I’d expect the base to sag over time and need to be replaced while the top layers would have plenty of life left” Can you assess this statement? He then suggests a natural latex mattress from Spindle Mattress.

Consumer Reports mentions this about the Casper and the T&N: “In the durability test, which analyzes the mattress’s change in firmness, sag, and damage over a period of up to 8 years of simulated use, this mattress performed very good, showing only minor changes in performance. It proved to be very stable, limiting the amount of vibration transmitted.” I’d expect similar results with the #BestMattressEver. Thank you for your help, this website has been a wealth of information. If it wasn’t for this website, I would have spent a lot of money on a Simmons Beautyrest.

Hi mingdizzle,

I’m glad you found us and decided to avoid the Beautyrest mattress! You’ve probably read this already but for the sake of others that read this topic you can see some comments about some of the “one choice fits all” mattresses including Leesa, Tuft & Needle, and #BestMattressEver in post #3 here.

This would depend to some degree on how you define “better”. Latex in general is the most durable foam material and in is also more costly than other types of foam. Their 2 lb polyfoam base layer is also higher quality/density than the 1.8 lb polyfoam that is used in the other “one choice fits all” mattresses but this would be a more important issue for those that are in higher weight ranges. In terms of how it “feels” … better would be more subjective because each person has different preferences but latex is a more resilient and “lively” material than other types of foam and also has good ventilation and airflow so it tends to sleep cooler than most memory foam materials (although most people wouldn’t have temperature regulation issues on any of the mattresses you mentioned).

There is no “standard” definition or consensus of opinion for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that is firm for one can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. This is all relative and is as much an art as a science. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here). In other words you will always need to test a mattress for you to assess how firm or soft it feels to you regardless of whether it feels firm or soft to someone else or how anyone else may “rate” it.

Having said that … based on feedback I think that most people (but not necessarily all people) would probably agree that the Casper is somewhat softer than the Tuft & Needle.

You are getting some very inaccurate information here and it sounds like whoever gave you this information is either confused or just isn’t particularly knowledgeable about foam materials or mattresses. In the case of continuous pour latex made by Mountaintop Foam … they will confirm that their synthetic and blended latex is just as durable as their 100% natural. In the case of Talalay Global (previously Latex International) they will also confirm that their blended Talalay is more durable than their 100% natural Talalay. Even Neal who is the owner of Spindle Mattress will tell you that the synthetic latex made by Mountaintop foam is just as durable as their 100% natural. While different types of latex can have different properties and “feel” different … you certainly weren’t being given accurate information about their durability. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

In addition to this a mattress will tend to soften and break down from the top down so the upper layers of a mattress are the ones where the quality/durability of the materials is particularly important. The deflection/compression of a foam material is what softens or breaks down foam over time and the softer upper layers of a mattress will deflect and compress more deeply and more often than the firmer deeper layers. 2.0 lb polyfoam is also a very durable material in a base layer. There is more about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

The only thing that I would agree with that they told you is that Spindle is also a great quality/value choice for those who are looking for a 100% natural component latex mattress. There is also more about a latex/polyfoam hybrid mattress vs an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

You can see my comments about the Consumer Reports mattress ratings and recommendations in post #2 here and in this topic. While they may be a good source of information about more “objective” purchases … as you can see I would consider them to be an unreliable source of information or guidance about purchasing a mattress. My thoughts are shared by most of the more knowledgeable people in the industry (see post #5 here for an example).

Phoenix