Need an online mattress recommendation

Hello, I am a new member and have read over the overviews. I am 140 pounds, woman, side sleeper. Seven years ago I purchased an online memory foam mattress from Parklane Mattress. I am looking for a new mattress because when I wake up, my entire rib cage hurts and the pain causes me to wake up. It started a few years ago. The pain goes away with movement. If I position myself exactly correctly or on my back, the pain is less. After several years I have concluded that it is the mattress and not any physical ailment. When I go to sleep, I am perfectly comfortable. I have concluded that I need better lumbar support/alignment and it looks like a latex support layer with a soft comfort layer is what I need to look for. I live in a rural area. The only mattress I can remember sleeping comfortably on was a $5,000 Sleepcomfort mattress which I can’t afford and the current air mattress I purchased for guests at my new home. Any suggestions or guidance is appreciated. This is a great web site and has been very helpful so far. Mary

Hi mtimpany,

As you probably know Parklane is one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

It sounds like the mattress you chose was “on the edge” of being too soft for you when you purchased it so that even a small amount of foam softening that would be normal was enough to put you over the edge of the comfort/support range that is suitable for you (see post #2 here).

If this is the case then some of the suggestions in post #4 here may be helpful … at least on a partial or temporary basis.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). The best way to know which types of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer in general terms will be based on your own local testing or your own personal experience.

There are certainly many people that prefer latex either in comfort layers in combination with an innerspring or polyfoam support core or an “all latex” mattress but there are also other people that prefer different types of mattresses as well.

Each mattress category can include hundreds of different mattresses with a very wide range of different designs, different “feels”, different characteristics, and different firmness levels. Every individual layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting material) will affect the feel and response of every other layer and component both above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” so each mattress category will generally include some mattresses that will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) and others that use the same type of materials and components and are in the same category and may be just as durable but have a different design or firmness level that may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on … even if it uses the same general type of materials and components.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

It’s good go see that you’ve read the overviews but the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Once you have decided on the types of materials and mattresses you are most interested in … the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses that use different materials and components in a wide range of designs, budgets, firmness levels, and with different return/exchange policies that would be well worth considering.

If you are considering latex or latex hybrid mattresses then one of the links includes a list of the members here that sell mattresses online and many of them sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that would be well worth considering.

Many of these are component mattresses with loose layers and zip covers that allow you to fine tune the comfort and/or support of a mattress after a purchase by rearranging or exchanging individual layers and some of them are finished" mattresses with glued layers. There is more about the pros and cons of a component latex mattress with a zip cover and loose layers vs a finished mattress with glued layers in post #15 here and post #2 here.

Post #3 here also includes a list of many of the online manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses as well (with some overlap with the members list).

If you are also interested in any local choices (either for testing different types of mattresses as a reference point or for a local purchase) then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your general area as well.

Phoenix

Phoenix, thank you so much for that response. My local zip code is 17901. I have continued reading your site and will go try out some mattresses! Thank you! Mary

Hi mtimpany,

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are in reasonable driving distance of Pottsville, PA are listed in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton/Lehigh Valley list here or in the Harrisburg, PA list here or in the Blakeslee/Scranton, PA list here (with some overlap between them).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I plan to go to Magic Sleeper on Sunday in Pottstown. I see them on your membership list. Last week I spent my lunch hour at a local department store that only carries not recommended mattresses like Serta, Sealy, Temperpedic, etc. I tried later to find out the layers of the mattresses online to no avail. I then started looking into online sellers. Thank you for the education.

In phoenix you should check out (removed by Admin). I’ve used them personally and highly recommend them.

This person was located in Pennsylvania, not Arizona, so that might be a bit of a drive for them. :cheer:

Also, I don’t see that the store you mentioned offers anything of a higher level of quality - just the typical larger name brands that as a whole tend to use less durable and lower quality materials. Additionally, if the items are indeed “scratch and dent” (a catch-all for anything within the industry), they will not be offered with a manufacturer’s warranty. Perhaps the store carries items other than what they have listed on their web site.

Just something for people to consider when visiting stores that offer “scratch and dent” items. Here’s some help when visiting stores selling items like this.

Hi jupiterdog,

I’ve removed the information from your post about the store you were suggesting which was a liquidation store that likely sells used mattresses or at the very least sells low quality mattresses that I would completely avoid.

I also consider your post to be spam since the store was also nowhere near where the OP lives and since you are also the same person as another member that has been banned for spamming the forum I have disabled your user account as well.

Phoenix

Hi mtimpany,

As you know I think highly of Magic Sleeper and I’m looking forward to your comments after your visit.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I visited Magic Sleeper’s showroom yesterday and just spent about 30 minutes on the phone today talking with Mark about two mattresses that I liked and the layers and densities of each. There were two Therapeutic mattresses, one had coils and one was a foam, and Mark described some others with Talalay latex that I want to go back and try. I had two unruly teenagers in the car who did not want me to take hours in the store so that limited the amount of time I had there. But, Mark is extremely knowledgeable and texted the rep of the coil bed while we were on the phone to get the gauge of the coils. I plan to go back on a weekday when he or his brother John are there. Extremely helpful. and I feel like this is a good possibility for finding the right mattress for me.

Hi mtipany,

Thanks for the update and your experience so far sounds very promising.

It’s unfortunate that you had a few “distractions” on your visit but I have two kids of my own (although they are older and on their own now) so I completely understand :slight_smile:

Phoenix