Need help choosing new mattress

Hi,
I am in the market for a new mattress as my current one is starting to put a strain on my back.

I first would like to thank this website for all the help it already provided to me, I have been reading all the articles about purchasing a new mattress and finding the right fit for me. I was about to pull the trigger on a Simmons Beauty rest Classic when I found out about this website and all the good literature that it contains.

Here is a little bit about my self. I am 25yrs old, about 175lb for 5’9 and my my wife is the same age, 170lbs and 5’10. We live about 50miles NE of Oklahoma City in Stillwater.
We currently have a a Corsicans Horizon Bliss King ( Corsicana Horizon Bliss - Mattress Reviews | GoodBed.com )
I find it to be ok but my wife keeps complaining about it that she can’t get a good night sleep on it so time for a new mattress.

I have been reading a lot and would like to go for a latex over HD/hr foam mattress as a full latex would be out off my price range.
I have picked out a few mattresses and would like a more professional opinion about it.

1)Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 10" King for $749
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051AQXZK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=slelikthedea-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0051AQXZK
I like the cost / quality of this mattress. Don’t like that you can’t replace the comfort layer.

2)Brooklyn Bedding Cotton Camillia 10" for $899
http://www.brooklynbedding.com/latex-mattresses/10-inch-cotton-latex-mattress
I like the ability to change the comfort latex and being able to change it to a different level easily if the original firmness level doesn’t workout for us. I believe the 1rst comfort layer exchange is included in the price.

1. Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss 12" for $1199
    http://www.brooklynbedding.com/latex-mattresses/12-inch-bamboo-latex-mattress
    I like the same features that the Cotton Camilla has as well as the added 2" of foam but I just don’t know if it’s worth the extra $300. Is the bamboo cover worth the $300 premium, is the feel of the mattress going to the same as the 10" one since it has the same amount of latex?

4)Walmart Modern Sleep Pristine 11" for $615
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Modern-Sleep-Pristine-11-Latex-Mattress/23377562?findingMethod=rr
I like the price point for this mattress but can’t find much info about it. It has 8" of foam and 3" of latex. Have you guys heard anything good about this mattress. The price point is killer and if I don’t like it Walmart return policy is easy. I don’t like that I won’t be able to choose the level of firmness tho.

With that I am a back sleeper (start on my side until my neck hurts and finish the night on my back. I like medium/soft mattress. My wife sleeps on her side and like pillow top plush mattresses that we tried in stores.

Other than that I am fixing to visit the Oklahoma Mattress Co in Oklahom City as I read some good stuff about it on this website. I am wondering if they will have some foam/latex mattresses comparable to the ones listed above.

My budget stretches from $600 up to $1200

I am sorry about the long post but I would love to have some inputs from you experts before I commit to my purchase.

Thank you so much for help! :slight_smile:

Hi Owos,

You’ve certainly narrowed down your choices to some good quality/value options but like you I would want to know the type and blend of the latex and the density of the polyfoam in the Modern Sleep 11" Pristine. I believe that this is the same mattress as the Classic Brands Eden Latex mattress. It is most likely blended Dunlop latex which is a lower cost version of latex but they don’t say the blend of synthetic and natural rubber in the latex which I would want to know. This doesn’t mean it’s a poor quality material (any latex is a better quality choice than most polyfoam) … only that it’s a less costly material than 100% natural Dunlop latex and may be less durable and have less elasticity and resilience as well. I would also want to make sure that it hasn’t been compressed over a long period of time in storage because the durability of any foam, including Dunlop latex, can be reduced with long term compression (see post #6 here).

It also doesn’t say anything about the firmness/softness of the latex and if it was me I would want to talk with someone that had enough knowledge and experience to provide some guidance about whether the mattress would have reasonable odds of being suitable for my body type and sleeping style. A big part of the value of every mattress purchase is your confidence that the mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and the options you have to choose the comfort level of your mattress along with the options you have to change it (or exchange or return it) after a purchase can also be an important part of each person’s personal value equation. No matter what the quality or value of a mattress if it isn’t suitable for your needs and preferences it would have little value to you.

As you know I also think highly of Jim at Oklahoma mattress and the custom mattresses he makes. He does make latex mattresses as well as latex hybrids but I don’t know the specifics of their models and I would call and talk with them to find out more details. They are well worth a visit for anyone in reasonable driving distance and they have the advantage of being able to test a mattress for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) before a purchase.

Other than the comments about Classic Brands … all your choices are between “good and good” and are made by a member of this site which I think highly of and have good quality/value throughout their lineup. They both have the knowledge and experience to give you some good guidance either on the phone or in person. Once you have narrowed down your options a little more I would make your final choice based on which one is the closest “fit” to all the parts of a mattress purchase that are most important to you (including your confidence in the suitability of the mattress and the importance of your options after a purchase if you make a comfort choice that is less than ideal).

Phoenix