Need help evaluating mattress choices

My husband and I are in the process of replacing our 5 year old Sealy pillowtop mattress. When we bought it we loved it in the store, but it was entirely too hard when it was delivered. We’ve had a 3" gel foam topper on it for the past 3 years and while that helped in the beginning it’s no longer a good option for us now. We’re looking to replace it with a memory foam mattress in the next couple of weeks. The two prerequisites we have are COOL and SOFT!

We stopped at 3 mattress stores over the weekend and have an idea of what we like. Our 3 “in-store” favorites were the Sealy Optimum Inspiration Gold Plush, the iComfort F500, and the Tempurpedic Breeze Cloud Lux. The iComfort was the firmest of the 3 (they ranked it a medium) but it felt more supportive than hard. The Sealy was my favorite and my husband really liked the Tempurpedic. Now for the fun part — we have a budget of $1500 for a queen mattress only. (No base needed!)

While the Sealy fits in our budget, the reviews we have read for quality and longevity were less than average and that has my husband a little concerned. We’re both bigger framed people (250+) and are looking for something sturdy that we can get at least 7-10 years out of. I’ve found a few mattresses online that seem to be solid options, but I’d like to get some solid feedback before we pull the trigger. The 3 online options I have found are the Nest Alexander Soft, the Sealy Cocoon Chill Soft, and the Christeli Briella. I tried the online chat option with Christeli this morning, but got an extremely short/un-helpful representative that didn’t seem to really want to answer any of my questions.

I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback y’all can provide. This is a big purchase for us and we’d like to get it right!

Hi Alsabrook,

It sounds like you may need to “reset” how you are looking for a mattress and there will be a lot of information in this reply and you will have some reading to do before you continue your search.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

The major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with avoiding any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

Unlike the other major brands … for the most part Tempurpedic uses good quality materials in their mattresses but there are certainly other local and online options that would be better quality/value choices than Tempurpedic which tend to be significantly overpriced compared to other memory foam mattresses that use similar quality/density materials that may be just as suitable, just as durable, and better “value” choices (see post #2 here). With Tempurpedic you are paying a significant premium for the name on the label which has little to nothing to do with the quality and durability of the materials or how well you will sleep on a mattress.

Since your BMI is probably over 30 there is more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges or have a higher BMI and you would need to make sure that the materials and components in your mattress meet the durability guidelines I linked earlier in this reply relative to your BMI range.

While the process of how to choose a mattress would involve the same steps that are listed in the mattress shopping tutorial … most people in higher weight ranges or that have a higher BMI will generally need or prefer firmer mattresses (firmer materials will feel softer because you will sink into them more) and materials and components that are higher quality and more durable than those that are in lower weight or BMI ranges (the materials and components in a mattress will soften and break down faster for those in higher weight ranges than they will for someone that is in a lower weight range that doesn’t compress the mattress as much). I would be particularly cautious about mattresses that use more than “about an inch or so” of memory foam that is less than about 5 lb density or polyfoam that is less than about 2 lb density … particularly in the upper layers of the mattress (which are usually the weakest link in terms of the durability and useful life of a mattress).

While the Nest Alexander would be a good quality/value choice for many people … I would avoid it in your weight/BMI range because the the foam layers are a lower density than I would suggest in your weight/BMI range. I would also be careful with a soft choice because with your higher weight there would be a much higher risk that you will end up sleeping out of alignment over the course of the night and good spinal alignment is the single most important factor in how well your body will be able to rest and recover over the course of the night.

Like all the major brands … I would also avoid the Sealy Cocoon because they don’t disclose the density of the foam in their mattress but even if they did they would also be lower density than I would suggest for your body weight.

The Christeli mattresses use foam densities that would be suitable for your weight/BMI range and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in their mattresses relative to your BMI but the only way to know for certain how well you will sleep on any mattress that you haven’t tried in person will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience when you sleep on it so I would keep in mind that Christeli only offers a 50 day exchange policy that allows you to make a single exchange for one of their other mattresses and unlike many other online choices they don’t offer the option to return the mattress for a refund if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Every good online retailer or manufacturer will generally make suggestions that they honestly believe have the best chance of success based on the information you provide them when you talk to them on the phone because this is in both your own and their best interests but again … at the end of the day the only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience so if you can’t test a specific mattress in person then the options you have available after a purchase to either exchange the mattress or individual layers or components or return the mattress for a refund (and any costs involved) would generally become a more important part of your personal value equation just in case a mattress you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

While it’s not possible to quantify or predict the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

In very general terms … the layers and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture wicking, and temperature regulation than layers and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more “insulating” and tend to sleep warmer than firmer mattresses. Memory foam or gel memory foam will also tend to sleep warmer than other types of foam materials such as polyfoam and latex (which in general is the most breathable and temperature neutral of the foam materials).

The “hand feel” of most gel memory foams will be noticeably cooler than regular memory foam and they can provide some cooling benefits when you first go to sleep at night but temperatures will tend to equalize over time at which point the insulating properties of the memory foam will become dominant. The amount and type of gel in the foam can affect whether the temperature benefits will last longer or shorter and the cell structure and amount of airflow through foam will also play a very significant role in reducing heat buildup in the material but in general terms … gel memory foam can sleep a little cooler than regular memory foam when you are first going to sleep at night but in most cases the benefits of the gel tend to be temporary and don’t normally last over the course of the night.

If you are also interested in local options that you can test in person before a purchase then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight/BMI range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress (see the durability guidelines here).

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the very helpful reply! After LOTS of consideration and reading lots of posts on this form and other reviews, we decided on a mattress that wasn’t even on my short list! We ended up purchasing a DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam. I went with that one for several reasons. The biggest reason was that they seem to use a higher density foam than several of the mattresses I had been looking at. The price point was also very attractive…especially since they’re having an additional 10% off sale right now. I’ve read several reviews from heavier sleepers that have owned the mattress for a couple years now with great success.

At the end it came down to the Christeli and the DreamFoam. I contacted both companies to ask questions and couldn’t have gotten more different treatment. The rep that I spoke with at Christeli was short and acted aggravated that I was asking questions instead of just ordering the bed. I spoke with Chuck at DreamFoam and he couldn’t have been any more helpful! Between my brief customer service experiences with those companies and the fact that there were more reviews available about the DreamFoam mattress, it was a fairly easy decision. Here’s to hoping it’s a great fit for us!

I’ll update as soon as we get it!

Hi Alsabrook,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

I am seriously considering this DF Ultimate Gel, please give your update. Thanks.

Hi JeanneS,

As you’ve posted a similar question across three threads, I answered your question with comments about these mattresses, as well as using reviews and other people’s opinions to guide your decision making process, in one spot in post #6 here.

Phoenix

It’s been over a month since we’ve had our new mattress and here are my thoughts so far. Keep in mind that we’re currently using it on just a plain platform bed because I still haven’t made up my mind on a headboard and footboard yet!

On a 1-5 overall scale I give it a solid 4.5. It’s by far the most comfortable mattress that I’ve ever slept on. My tailbone pain is virtually gone and I wake up feeling completely rested which is amazing! It had virtually no off-gassing when we opened it and it was ready for sleep in about 6 hours. Very impressive! Once of our biggest concerns was finding a mattress that didn’t sleep hot and this one has been great so far.

Now for the minor nit-picking details.

1. My biggest complaint about this mattress is that there is virtually no edge support. In hindsight, I should have purchased a King size instead of a Queen. The farthest 2-3 inches on each side are useless because once you hit those, you literally feel like you’re about to fall off the bed. That’s kind of a PITA and has taken some adjusting. I still toss and turn some and every now and then that still catches me off guard and I’ll wake up startled. Once we get into our new house, this mattress will go into our guest room and we’ll upgrade to a King.

2. The mattress never expanded to the full 60" width. It’s a solid 58.5" which isn’t the end of the world, but doesn’t help with problem #1!

3. We went into this knowing we wanted a really soft mattress and we definitely got that. It was super soft and plush out of the package and we loved it. Once the mattress hit the 30 days old, it started to soften a little more. It’s not a bad thing for us, but it might actually be a little too soft for some. Right now it’s perfect for us, though.

4. The bottom of the mattress is really slick on our metal platform and it tends to slide around a bit. I’m looking into some type of “grips” to put on the platform to keep that under control!

Overall this was a great mattress choice for our budget and we’re VERY pleased with it!

Hi Alsabrook,

Thank you for taking the time to write back about your mattress!

I’m glad that you’re currently happy with the product.

I’m glad that your mattress didn’t arrive with any offending odors (just as a note, an odor isn’t necessarily indicative of a VOC, and not all VOCs have odors).

You are correct that there is no dedicated racetrack edge system in this mattress, like there might be in a traditional innerspring mattress. While the base polyfoam core in many mattresses like this often provide an ILD that is similar to racetrack foam in other mattresses, it’s not attached to an innerspring unit and this particular mattress uses 5" of plush memory foam on top of this core, so it is often an adjustment for people switching to this type of a product, as well as some latex mattresses. Good point.

The width for a queen mattress is 60", +/-1", so it certainly sounds like you are on the short side of that equation. I’m sure you could contact Dreamfoam if this continues to be a concern for you.

All mattresses will tend to soften up a bit when brand new, with most of this “false firmness” diminishing within the first six months or so. After that, it should be a more gradual change in comfort as time goes on. Definitely keep track of the feel of the product in case you desire to go with the Ultimate Dreams Supreme Gel version for the king size, which would be slightly firmer.

Yes, unfortunately there isn’t much friction between the metal platform and the “non-skid” material of the mattress.

Thanks again for the update.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for your update. Mine should arrive next Tuesday.

We owned our DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel mattress for a little less than 2 years before we had to replace it. My experience with DreamFoam/Brooklyn Bedding was VERY disappointing.

When our mattress first arrived it only expanded to 58.5" wide. With virtually no edge support this left only 52" - 53" of usable space on the mattress. We reached out to DF and were told that the measurements could be off +/- 1.5" and that this was right within the margin of error and was not considered a defect. We continued to use (and really like) the mattress for the first year. We rotated the mattress every 3-4 months, kept it in a mattress protector, and did everything we possibly could to protect and prolong the life of the mattress.

Within a couple weeks of the 1 year mark, the foam started to break down rapidly. When the foam indentations reached the 1.5" mark, we reached back out to DF and were told that for the warranty process to begin, the indentations had to be greater than 2". At this point I started getting VERY frustrated. The mattress continued to break down and became very uncomfortable to sleep on. The entire top layers of foam would collapse as soon as we would lay down and we would bottom out on the support layer. Rolling over was almost impossible. We measured the indentations in the mattress at the beginning of June and they were a little over 3" on one side and over 4" on the other. I reached out to Chuck at DF via email numerous times and received no response. Every time we called DF and explained the situation we were put on hold for anywhere between 30 minutes and an hour and then our call would be dropped.

At this point we’re OVER dealing with DreamFoam! Their customer service/warranty is a joke.

Hi Alsabrook.

I am sorry you have issues with your Ultimate Dreams Gel mattress, it is very unusual that a mattress develops 3" to 4" of body impressions within 2 years unless there is a manufacturing defect in which case your mattress should be covered under the warranty. Also, I’d have a thorough look at what are you using for both a frame and support system under your mattress. Whenever someone comments about a mattress having such deep impressions or sag, I always suggest a “ground up” assessment to make sure that there is nothing under the mattress that may be contributing to a premature sag within the mattress. The support under your mattress should be perfectly flat with no parts or areas that are sagging or that are bending under the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it. You can test if this contributing to the sag by putting your mattress on the floor to see if you notice any difference. If it does … then it’s quite possible that your support system could be part of the problem as well. I would not let your frustration get in the way to seting things right. Defects happen from time to time and it is incumbent on the manufacturer to address it. If anything at this point I’d make sure to do a bit of detective work and document everything before getting in touch again with Dream Foam. Some pictures and measurements are very useful in instances such as these.

I certainly understand your frustration with the breakdown in your communications. TMU’s past experience with Dream Foam is that they were very responsive and assisted customers promptly. As they are no longer TMU member I do not keep in close touch with them but I did reach out on your behalf and send an email to Chuck making him aware of your experience and I hope he’ll get back to you.

DreamFoam’s warranty policy here (or the warranty at the time of your purchase here) shows that they cover body indentations of 1 – ½" or greater. I haven’t been aware in the past of any 2’ or greater sag limit for DF so it may be possible that you have one of those unlucky streaks of events that got in the way of you getting to the bottom of this.

I hope you get in touch with them (or they to you) and that you work out through the warranty claim if your mattress is defective. I look forward to any updates you might have so keep us posted.

Phoenix

Hi Alsabrook.

A quick update for you … DF responded and they will be helping you through this process. Please make sure to contact them at Mario(at)Brooklynbedding(dot)com.

Best of luck!

Phoenix