Need help in finalizing King mattresses

Hi Phoenix,

I wanted to see if you can provide me some opinion regarding the 2 mattresses mentioned below that I’m inclined towards as of now. I stumbled across your site and read few posts and thought of asking you about this

1. Sealy’s Posturpedic Crystal City 11.5" Pillow Top + Box Spring ( Mattress Firm - $ 1000 )
    http://www.mattressfirm.com/Sealy_Posturepedic_Crystal_City_11_5_Pillow_Top-P344.aspx

2. Merrydale King Mattress/Split Foundation Set ( American Signature --$1100 )
    http://www.americansignaturefurniture.com/mattresses-and-bedding/sealy/king-mattress-sets/merrydale-king-mattress-split-foundation-set/1596560.aspx

I know that you don’t have prefer recommending chain stores and I did read about Fox Mattresses but I’m in a situation where I need it quickly and both these companies will deliver it in a day or two.

Any suggestion/advice is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Gagan

Hi gundeep11,

Neither mattress description includes enough information to make any meaningful comments about either mattress. If you can provide the information listed here and post it on the forum then I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials inside each mattress. Unfortunately the odds are very low that you will be able to find this information out and the salespeople will likely have very little knowledge of the materials in any of their mattresses. In other words they have little to no idea of the quality of the mattresses they are selling.

Without this information I wouldn’t consider any mattress.

The odds are very high that there are lower quality foams in the comfort layers of both mattresses which would be a weak link in both mattresses. These lower quality materials have a much higher chance of softening, compressing, and sagging much too quickly which will generally can lead to the loss of comfort and support and the need to replace the mattress. Since the loss of comfort and support isn’t considered to be a defect in the mattress … it’s not covered by a warranty (see post #174 here).

Both of these, like any blind purchase from a major brand … would be very high risk purchase and I would avoid both of them. I would rather buy a 6" layer of low cost polyfoam or buy some other low cost alternative and sleep on it temporarily until I could buy a good quality/value mattress than buy either of these mattresses.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would also read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the quick and valuable feedback. I was expecting a response on the same lines as I couldn’t find enough information about these mattresses from the stores. I also feel it will be wiser not to spend so much money for a high risk/blind purchase.

Is there anything you can recommend from the Fox Mattresses site/store ? I’m not sure how much is their turnaround time to deliver a mattress . I have relatives visiting and I need it quick. I don’t mind going there to pick up either.

Also, I’m a bit flexible with the budget ( $500-$1500)

Thanks,
Gagan

BTW I would like to mention that Orlando Mattress Company (http://www.orlandomattresscompany.com/)
is not located at the address mentioned on their site (7675 CURRENCY DRIVE ORLANDO, FL. 32809). I physically drove to this address but there was no store/warehouse. Nobody answered the phone number present on their website either .

Hi gundeep11,

Unfortunately no … there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for me or anyone else to give any recommendations for any specific mattress for someone else that can possibly be more knowledgeable or helpful than the people that make the mattresses who will know more than anyone about the mattresses they make. If you were buying the mattress for yourself then your own careful and objective testing would be the most reliable way to choose a mattress (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I do think highly of Rick and the mattresses they make and they compete well with the best in the industry so they would almost certainly have a good quality/value choice that was suitable for your guests. If you can tell them your criteria and the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including your budget) they will be able to help you make the best possible choice.

While I would certainly include them in my research if I was in reasonable driving distance, some of the other options or possibilities in the Orlando area (assuming that’s where you are) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix