Need help picking new mattress

Hello! I have recently found this forum and have spent lots of time reading. I have also spent lots of time in local mattress stores. I have lower back pain and neck pain. I am a short woman with a short neck. I am currently somewhat overweight.

Seven years ago, after a surgery, I bought a mattress that turned out too be too firm for me. I thought I liked/needed firm, but it turns out not this firm. I have added mattress toppers and they have helped somewhat, but I know it is time for me to buy a new mattress now.

I have learned from this site that I do not want a pillowtop as sagging is something I really don’t want. However, I want a supportive mattress with a medium feel. My budget is under $1000 preferably, and I need a full, I am thinking maybe latex if I can something I can afford? I have also looked at a Corsicana gel memory foam set.

Here are some questions --How do I ensure that I am not getting a pillowtop/something that will sag relatively quickly? I currently have a hollywood frame. Do I need a wooden one with slats for a full size mattress…I read some things saying that would be necessary for latex Aor memory foam, but then other things that say its only necessary for a queen size or bigger mattress. Any thoughts on the Corsicana?

I live in Eugene, OR. I really need to buy local both because I feel the need to try out and I need someone to take my old mattress/boxspring. We have some stores I think are good such as

http://www.mattresscompanyeugene.com/
http://maniadeals.com/matty/

Thanks!

Hi soreneck,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Hopefully you’ve had the chance to read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes most of the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

A pillowtop is easy to identify because it’s a method of construction that has a separate “pillow” that is sewn to the mattress with recessed edges (like this) and is just a method of construction that allows the top layer in the “pillow” to respond more independently. The problem with most pillowtops that are sold by the major brands or in the mainstream industry isn’t so much the pillowtop design itself as the quality/density and durability of the materials inside it.

There is more about the three most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here and #2 is to make sure that you can find out the type and quality of the materials in your mattress (see this article) so you can compare them to the quality/durability guidelines here … or post them on the forum where I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials inside a mattress. This is always the most reliable way to make sure you are making a durable choice no matter what type of construction a mattress uses.

If for any reason you aren’t able to find out the specific information you need to know to make an informed purchase decision then I would pass the mattress by (see the guidelines here).

There is more information in the foundation post here about the types of support systems that generally work best for different types of mattresses.

Corsicana in general tends to specialize in lower budget or “promotional” mattresses but like most manufacturers they make a very wide range of mattresses in different budget ranges. In terms of quality and durability, any specific mattress is only as good as its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer. If you can provide the information in the article I linked and list it on the forum I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality/durability of the materials in the particular Corsicana mattress you are looking at.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Eugene area (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked) are listed in post #2 here. I took a quick look at the retailers you listed and updated the list and included the manufacturers they carry where your odds are higher that you will be able to find out the information you need about the type and quality of the materials inside their mattresses to make an informed choice.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for the information!

It is very hard to find people who can tell me what all of the materials are, but I will keep trying. Here is what I can find on the Corsicana that I mentioned

Luxurious Zipper Cover with FR Knit Sock
1.75" Cool Reflections Gel Memory Foam
1" Cool Reflections Memory Foam
2" Super Soft Comfort Foam
7" High-Density Foam Core with Foam Encased Rails
Approximate Mattress Height: 12"
Deluxe Box Foundation
Made In The U.S.A.
10-year Warranty (although the place I shopped told me there was a 20 year warranty!)

As with all three Corsicana gel-infused memory foam mattresses, the core is a dense seven-inch layer of poly foam that gives you the support you need. The top layer is 1.75 inches of gel-infused memory foam that keeps you cool and cozy.

I will admit to having informational overload about exactly what I am supposed to know about the foam layers (I read the tutorials and took notes, but still trying to integrate it all), so I know I need some more specific info, but its hard to know what questions to ask.

thanks!

Hi soreneck,

Unfortunately this doesn’t include the information you would need about the quality/density of each of the foam layers in the mattress.

This article includes the specific information you would need to ask for. You already have the type and thickness of each of the layers so the information that is missing in the specs you listed (which is most important of all) that you would need to know is the density of each of the layers.

As you can see here … it’s unlikely that you will be able to find out the information you need because Corsicana isn’t very transparent about the quality/density of their foam layers and don’t normally provide this this type of information either to consumers or to their dealers.

Phoenix