Need Layer recomendations for 13"

We want to buy a 13" SleepEZ setup

Was thinking of (2) Twin XLs in a 10" Mattress

and then a topper of 3" in a King size with a cover.

I’m 5’11" 260# Side sleeper. Trying to get the weight down was 285#

Currently on a 27 year old select comfort that is wallowed out. I have to switch numerous times a night because my arm is asleep.

I have a kingsize pillow between my knees but they often limit my sleeping because my knees won’t let me sleep from pain. This my be because I’m sleeping in a hole.

Need density recommendations for the 3 layers of the 10" Natural and the 3" Topper.

Feel free to make recommendations about anything I have here.

Hi les_garten and thank you so much for the inquiry and congratulations on the weight loss! Based on the information you’ve provided, I would normally recommend medium Talalay over firm Dunlop over extra firm Dunlop. The top Talalay layer should provide all the contour and pressure relief needed to avoid any pressure point issues and will add secondary support to the mattress. Secondary support is needed to fill in the gaps between your body and the mattress – back sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between the small of their back and the mattress; side sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between their mid-section and the mattress. If these parts of a person’s body aren’t supported by the mattress, their muscles will work throughout the night to hold these parts of the body up, and by the time they wake up they’ve got back pain. So the top 3" of Talalay latex will provide contour, pressure relief, and secondary support. The remaining Dunlop layers should provide all the support needed to maintain proper spinal alignment and avoid back pain. Please keep in mind that our initial recommendations have a 90% success rate (we only have a 10% layer exchange rate and a 3%-4% return rate) so there’s a 90% chance that the above recommendation works perfectly for you.

However, if you end up losing enough weight that you’re less than 250 pounds, then I would recommend medium Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop. If you’d like to order a mattress setup that works for your current weight but will also work for your future lower weight, then my advice would be to order medium Talalay over extra firm Dunlop over medium Dunlop. Once you get consistently below 250 pounds, then you can just put the extra firm layer on the bottom for medium/medium/extra firm.

1 Like

Hello SleepEZ,
Thanks for the quick reply. I would like to stay all Dunlop for pricing and I think you missed a layer. I wanted to do 10" mattress and a 3" topper for a total of 13" Can you rejigger your recommendations based on that info?

Shoot you’re right, I’m so sorry about that! So it would be medium for the topper, then the 10" mattress would be medium, firm, extra firm.

1 Like

I want to do a split king and was wanting to do two TwinXL with maybe a king topper

Can you give me the pluses and minuses of doing it this way vs ordering as a Split King?

If you order two twin XL mattresses, there will always be a gap between the mattresses that you can see and feel, even if you put a topper on the 2 mattresses. The only benefits to ordering two twin XL’s is that you can raise and lower one half of the bed while the other side stays flat, so it’s mostly used for adjustable bases. But if you have one king sized topper on the bases, you wouldn’t be able to adjust the two sides independently on the bases anyway, so I’m really not sure it would be helpful to order two twin XL mattresses and a king topper.

If you’re not using the mattress on an adjustable base, then my advice would be to order just the regular king mattress but check the boxes / circles that allow you to split the layers within one king cover. Since you have 1" of wool between you and the latex, you will not be able to feel where the latex layers are split. Also, the latex layers naturally grip together and will not spread apart or move with respect to each other; your mattress won’t feel any different when you’re laying on the center of the mattress or on the side. About 95% of our mattress go out with all split layers from top to bottom, and we get zero complaints on being able to feel the split and we get zero complaints about the layers shifting or anything like that.

If all of your layers are split, you will always be able to adjust your side without affecting your partner’s side and vice versa, and you’ll have that option for the entire 20 year lifespan of the mattress. Additionally, the mattress will be easier to assemble, easier to move if needed, easier to do any layers exchanges if needed, and easier to return if needed. There really are no downsides to having all split layers. Of course this is absolutely your mattress, and whatever you’d like to do is perfectly fine with us!

1 Like

Heh, ok, thanks. That was one of the main reasons I posted here. I had some questions about doing it as two separate mattresses.

So let’s go back to a single 13" natural mattress, no topper. What would you recommend there?

There was some posts I saw earlier that mentioned 10" + topper instead of a 13"?? In that case a full size king topper or two separate toppers?

Based on the information you have kindly provided, as well as the fact that you will be placing this on adjustable bases, I recommend going with a 13" mattress as opposed to a topper over a 10" mattress. A topper is not attached to the mattress in any way, therefore will contour and ‘hug’ your body much more than if it were inside one 13" cover. This could lead to back stiffness/pains due to having too much contour on your sleep surface and less overall support. Secondly, toppers that have no straps tend to move and slide when used with adjustable bases. You may need to square your topper up with your mattress every time you raise the head and/or feet of your adjustable base.

Please let us know if you have anymore questions. Don’t hesitate to call anytime as well! Have a terrific day, and happy holidays!

SleepEZ
480-966-8731

1 Like

It won’t be used with an adjustable base. Not sure where that came in at?

Hello les!

I apologize for the confusion on my part concerning the adjustable bases! I misread our previous reply to you, when we explained why folks usually choose to go with King Split (two twin-xl) mattresses. Please forgive my confusion! :slightly_smiling_face:

However, I will reiterate my recommendation for the 13" mattress vs a 3" topper over a 10" mattress. At your respective weight, the sleep surface of a topper/mattress combination will most likely provide too much immediate contour. In most cases, if your surface is too soft or provides too much contour, it tends to lead to back stiffness and/or pain due to your lower spine not being properly aligned. This is the primary reason we recommend the 13" mattress for folks that weigh 240lbs or more.

Again, please forgive my confusion! Should you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out anytime! You can call our office as well, should you wish to speak by phone. We are available Mon thru Fri from 10am to 6pm MST and Sat & Sun from 9am to 4pm MST.

Thanks again, happy holidays!

SleepEZ
480-966-8731