Need personalized help if possible!

Hello,
Like so many others, I have spent a good hunk of the last 3 days reading thru all the sections and am so grateful I found this website! The material here is so honest and refreshing not to mention educational and enlightening. But, with all that great info, comes a bit of a lost feeling of where to start. Thank you for any jumping in point you can provide.
I am a 64 year old female with lower lumbar issues. I am 5’2" and weigh 127 lbs. I am a side sleeper with short stints on my back nightly. Four years ago, we bought two twin lx’s for our adjustable king from Brooklyn Beds. After speaking with them on the phone, we purchased a medium and a firm so that I could choose between them and maybe I would get relief. The firm was too hard, (hurt hip and shoulder) and the medium was ok until it started to sink in the hip area within a year. Since then, I have tried a few mattresses via the web which were returnable and refundable, thank goodness.
Next, I purchased a cheap super firm mattress and added a topper thinking the firmness would last and not sink (sinking creates so much lumbar pain) and the topper would provide comfort for pressure points. I knew nothing about materials when I bought these items, I was just trying to fix the pain. I am right back to square one with the lower lumbar sinking and pressure point pain. I just took a peek at my firm mattress and it has a hip area dent. I wore thru it within a couple of months. I am tired from the tossing and turning from the pain. I’m so hopeful that an expert can send me in the right direction! I am willing to invest in painless sleep!

1 Like

Hi Sammy 14,
Welcome to TMU.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. If you dont mind, which Brooklyn Bedding Mattresses did you have and are you still using them both, or did just yours develop the “sink?” Are you saying the firm BB is the one that has hip area dent? Or the new cheap super firm one.

It is always easier to identify every mattress and topper you are referring to. For example, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature Hybrid Firm and Medium. Or the Aurora Firm and so on.

Knowing what model mattress and brand/material/ thickness topper you have and tried helps in evaluating what the issues are and where the emanate from.

When you had the Brooklyn Bedding did you take advantage of their free topper they would have given you for the firm mattress? At 5’2 127, I wouldnt think you would have sunk any mattress that BB offers. Also, did you rotate the mattresses?

You mentioned “we” what are the stats on the other part of “we” height, weight, sleep position, comfort level of the mattresses he tried and/or liked and disliked?

What were the internet mattresses that you tried and returned?

Sorry for all the questions, as you can see, I am questioning you like an intake form at the doctors office (Actually, I am a health care professional too, so it is important to have a good history of what you have tried and liked and disliked).

There is no question that someone might zip through a poor quality mattress in short order, but BB makes some fine mattresses, so it is curious what has been happening.

Hopefully, compiling all these parts will help create new options going forward.
Norm

Have you ever tried latex foam? It’s superior in every way to polyfoam and memory foam. More durable, supportive and comfortable. If not then let me know and I can point you to what I believe will be of great benefit within our product lines.

Greetings Maverick,
Thank you for such a great response and so quickly too. I found the receipts this morning for the two twin xl mattresses by Brooklyn. I purchased in Oct. of 2020. They are both Spartan Hybrid. One is firm and the other is medium. Husband still sleeps on the firm. I chose the medium. It began to sink in the hip area months after we bought it. I retried hubby’s firm to see if we could switch, but it was a painful night bc it was so firm even though he broke it in. I was not aware of any kind of topper available from Brooklyn.
The new cheap firm mattress is doing the same, sinking in the hip area. With both mattresses, I spend the night moving from one outer edge to the other looking for more support. I do that bc it sinks and that causes a stretch in the lumbar area and also because my hips ache. I am sure that is due to the mattress sinking and bc the cheap topper is 2 inches of cheap foam. I think that as soon as I sink thru the cheap foam, I hit the dent which causes misalignment and I am now hitting the very firm mattress below the foam. Does this make sense? I did rotate the mattress from BB. As far as the stats from the other who is my husband, it isn’t relative bc he has his own mattress for our adjustable split king. I can’t remember the names of the other two nor can I find the receipts. I believe I deleted everything after returns were finished.
I didn’t mind the questions at all! I believe it is a necessary process to understand what is happening and then purchase the right thing and I thank you so much for the help!!

1 Like

Hello Arizona!
Once upon a time years ago, we had a tempur pedic rapsody which was heaven after it broke it in. We also tried a Cloud but that was way too soft. That created a feeling of sleeping in a bowl. They took the Cloud back and sent another Rapsody. That was way back in probably 2012. When we moved in 2020, we sold it. It had the dips and was causing back issues then. BTW, all the back issues are from L4 thru S1. Hope this helps, and thank you so much for your help.

Sammy14,

Ahh,
The medium spartan is made quite differently than the firm. Both use 8" zoned coils and .25" base. Both Spartan’s use the upper comfort layer .75" copperflex foam, which is a viscoelastic slow response memory foam. But the medium spartan uses a 1.5" medium comfort foam and a 1" gel memory foam under that to complete the relatively soft and not so supportive comfort layer.

The firm version, uses a 1.5" FIRM hyperelastic response foam with a 1" firmer transition layer below that and above the 8" support zoned coil layer.
Your husband is getting much more support and firmness. I am certain you may sink a bit too on your husband’s mattress initially, but because he has another 1.5" of firm hyper-elastic latex alternative foam and an additional firm transition layer, just under the upper layer of the comfort layer of .75" copperflex, it will be considerably more supportive.

@Arizona_Premium was on to something there, as they offer genuine latex vs the synthetic latex alternative being used in this instance by BB.

Natural latex is going to out perform synthetic just about ever day of the week.
Plus, in your case, the medium spartan uses synthetic memory foam in the deeper compression comfort layers,( where you need that support even more) that just were not enough to support you (1.5" medium hyper-elastic and 1" Gel Swirl) 2.5" of sinking madness.

I never would have guessed you ended up with the spartan from BB as that mattress is intended for more professional athletic types( I am not saying that you are not an athlete, but usually this mattress is intended for 25-40 year old athletic folks).

Arizona,
I am all ears, lol. Should I be venturing into the diy or the Latex Mattress factory info I caught a little of on this site?

Hey Maverick,
Sounds like you may be suggesting that I scout out some natural latex solutions. I was so impressed that you found out exactly what is in our BB mattresses. I bought those 2 mattresses upon the suggestion/information provided by customer service there. I didn’t know whether to laugh that I ended up with the mattress for athletes, or be miffed. I chose to laugh. Water under the bridge and now that I see the depth of the mattress world, it is what it is. It makes sense that hubby is good with his.

1 Like

Hey Sammy,

I think at this point that may be the best solution. There are a few things to consider. The spartan is an 11.5" mattress. Please check that and be certain nothing changed from when you first purchased it until now. You will want to match the heights of the mattress as your hubby seems to be just fine for now.

I assume this response was to @Arizona_Premium. Just so I am clear in my brain, He did ask about latex foam, and your response was about a viscoelastic memory foam mattresss. Which makes sense in that ve foam can for some feel like a heat retaining, body swallowing, cant roll around in the bed feel. There is no question that ve memory foam has awesome pressure relief qualities, but you have to like the “feel” of ve memory foam to want to use it for those pressure relief characteristics.

I am fairly certain if you work with a trusted member like @Arizona_Premium they could build you an 11.5" mattress to your liking with extended durability and comfort.

Brooklyn Bedding’s Ecosleep is close in size, within a 1/2" so that could be a choice, but you are looking at a pre-built mattress.

At this stage in the game, I am confident that @Arizona_Premium could put together a mattress system to you liking with options to modify anything that may have gotten overlooked on the first round, and match the height of hubby’s mattress so the two twin xl’s will match up with each other. Hopefully, they will get back to you and offer some suggestions.

Oh, I meant to ask, how is the triathlon going? Sorry, I just had to. :rofl: :rofl: I just find it odd that the spartan was the mattress they suggested. I think their mattresses are well thought out, reasonable and nice quality. I think they just mismatched you with the Spartan.

You will find that latex offers a very different feel. Don’t be surprised if it takes a few weeks to soften a bit, and for you to adjust. All mattresses will require a bit of adaptation. I am sure if you choose @Arizona_Premium they will discuss all the details.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go. Our trusted members are here to help you, and do what they do best every day.

All the best and if there are any additional questions we are always here to help.

Norm

Hi Maverick,
The triathlon is in a few weeks, if only I had a good mattress to get me in prime shape, lol. Thanks again for all the help!
I am not very good on these kind of sights, do I just wait for Arizona to message me?

Hello Arizona,
I understand you may be the person who can help me with a natural latex mattress?

I reached out. I am sure you will get a response from @Arizona_Premium