Need to replace my 2006 Tempurpedic Classic

In 2006 my husband and I purchased a Tempurpedic Classic mattress. He had been diagnosed with a chronic illness and pressure points were an issue. The Tempurpedic was a great choice, and we never had any problems. Fast-forward to today, it’s just me, needing to replace my Tempurpedic. A family member has always owned Gardner mattresses and swears by them. I’m a side-sleeper in my 70’s, 5’2", about 155 lbs. I have some arthritis issues in my neck and lower spine that don’t bother me but probably will at some point. I’m looking at the Gardner Organic Lux mattress. Tried it in the showroom when shopping with my family member, but that was a while ago. Might this mattress be a good choice for me? I’m also considering an adjustable base to go along with it.

• Hand tufted compression for superior wear
  • Knit organic cotton fabric
  • New Zealand organic wool 1/4 tacked for loft
  • 1" layer long strand mane and tail horse hair
  • 1" natural talalay latex
  • Two layers organic cotton batting
  • Fully tacked New Zealand organic wool
  • Quantum Edge Pocketed coil spring system
  • Flippable

I appreciate any comments or insight. I’ve been out of this loop for a long time.

Im in the same boat as you…I bought a Tempurpedic Deluxe around 2002. Its worn out now. Im 225 pounds, 5ft 11in and 90% back sleeper and 10% side.

Here are my mattress choices:

-Temperpedic Luxe Adapt Firm……firm but conforming. Try the entire collection. Once you go Tempur….you tend to want to stick with it.

-King Koil Pure Bliss Latex Brook Firm….I think this is the one for you. Incredible feel and support with side sleeping. They also have a soft mattress called Genesis. Go find a King Koil retailer in your area. Another option to see if you like latex is Posh and Lavish

-Flobeds Vzone….Havent tried it myself yet….but I think of it as an adjustable King Koil latex.

I think Im going with Flobeds or King Koil latex myself. I have no opinion on the Gardner.

What is cool is that the Flobeds can be modified and the others cant.

Let me know what you do!

John

Hi John:

I contacted Tempurpedic last week and asked what in their product line now is comparable to my 2006 Classic. The answer was the Pro-Adapt Firm. However, at $3400 that’s a bit more than I want to spend. Also, Tempurpedic doesn’t disclose how their products are made (proprietary, per their website), and does not have the Oeko-Tex or Certipure certifications. Also, being owned by Sealy puts me off. I’ll try out the Tempurpedic at the furniture store where we purchased our original, just to try it out, but don’t know beyond that. Thanks for your comments and recommendations regarding the other mattresses.
Happy hunting!

Hi Nyx1,

Sorry to hear your Tempurpedic mattress has worn out…remember, any mattress you choose will be unique to you, based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health issues) - thanks for providing those! - and your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). It’s not very surprising that it wore out after 17 years: Tempurpedic mattresses tend to obfuscate the specifications on their products with proprietary formulas and marketing jargon, making it difficult to assess the actual quality of their components. If you have not yet done so, you may want to read the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and compare these to the Mattress Durability Guidelines to see the durability of various mattress materials and what to look out for.

@Gardner Mattress is a long time Trusted Member of the site, and has great experience matching sleepers to their perfect mattress. You have a slightly higher BMI, but it cones doesn’t to your preferred comfort level and support needs. The Gardner Organic Luxe is a well made, 10.5"flippable mattress with innerspring support and latex, organic cotton, and wool comfort layers. If you enjoy the feel, this is a supportive and durable mattress that’s compatible with an adjustable frame, which they also carry, and there’s nothing that stands out as being incompatable with the info you’ve provided on your sleep profile. Please keep us posted on your experience with it if you decide on this mattress once you’ve spent some time on it!

~ Basilio

Look into Pro Adapt Firm(super firm) and Luxe Adapt Firm. I felt the Luxe Adapt Firm was quite supportive, yet conforming. LAF is quite amazing. PAF was almost like lying on concrete. Definitely check out LAF.

Follow the TMU tutorial as Basilio has said!!! Its awesome!!!

John

Hi Basilio:

Thanks so much for your note. I had gone through the tutorial sometime last year, but just skimmed through parts of it again. So much good information! You’re right, of course, about Tempurpedic. I don’t think they’re quite the same company they were before becoming part of Sealy. I can’t fault my current mattress, it’s been great and has held up, but I’m not sure how another would be now. I think I’m going to go with the Gardner mattress. I like the idea of local and family-owned and their TM status on your site. I plan to visit a showroom in the next couple of weeks, and I’ll let you know what happens. I appreciate your comments and will keep you posted.

Nyx1

Hi Basilio:

Just checking back to fill you in. I went to the Gardner Mattress store in Needham yesterday and purchased a Queen Comfort Support and an adjustable base. After trying a few mattresses, the Organic Luxe, the memory foam and the Comfort Support, I found the latter seemed to be the best suited to me. It’s firm enough, with a little give. At the end of the day, having it home and living with it will be the final judgement, but it felt pretty good. The salesman, Eric was just great. Really helpful. I’ll let you know down the road how everything goes.

Nyx1

Hi Nyx1,

Great news! Congratulations on your new mattress purchase :slight_smile: I’m glad you had such a good experience with Gardner Mattress who has been a valued Trusted Member of the site for many years. The Queen Comfort Support is a very good mattress choice for your Sleep Profile…looking forward to an update once you have spent some more time with it. Here’s to many nights of great sleep!

~ Basilio