Nest Alexander vs DreamFoam

Hello! I need help!!! I’m STRUGGLING with picking a mattress that I can’t try out.

We decided we needed a new mattress, and not knowing what firmness we needed/wanted cause we haven’t mattress shopped before, we decided to go with the Leesa.com mattress because it’s supposed to be a good fit for everyone. It’s been less than a week since we’ve had it and we already have a mattress topper on it since it’s way too firm for us. We decided we need to return it, as there’s no way we can sleep on it for 30 days without a topper.

So off we went to a big mattress store just to LOOK and figure out what kind of firmness we wanted. We fell in love with the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe mattress, but there’s no way we can afford that. I won’t even talk about the D-Bag sales guy we had to deal with.

I get home and I start researching to find what mattress is the closest to the Cloud Luxe. I’ve come across 2 so far while researching… DreamFoam, and Nest Alexander Soft. I feel like I’ve seen more reviews saying the DreamFoam is most like the Cloud Luxe. but other reviewers have said the material quality in the Nest is better than the DreamFoam. I’m just sitting here lost and unsure what to do. I have to return this Leesa, and I don’t want to need to return another mattress, so I want to make the best decision possible. Any thoughts and expertise you can give me? I’m also kind of limited on time since I have to return the Leesa soon.

These are the exact two I mentioned:
The Sparrow Signature Hybrid Mattress - Nest Bedding – Nest Bedding® (SOFT)
Dream Foam - Dream Foam

Hi shadechick,

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial (which is the first place to start your research) but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) and how well you sleep the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

The Nest Bedding Alexander soft uses the following materials and components …

1.5" soft quilted cover
2" of 4lb convoluted gel memory foam
2" of 5lb convoluted gel memory foam
8" 2.0 density convoluted support layer.

These are good quality materials that would normally be suitable for more average weight ranges in terms of durability (lower 200’s or less) but convoluted memory foam layers would be less durable than a solid memory foam layer of the same density so I would be cautious here and would reduce the suitable weight range somewhat to compensate for the convoluted layers.

The Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel memory foam mattress uses the following materials and components …

3" 4lb gel memory foam
2" 5lb memory Foam
8" 1.8lb HD Polyfoam

There are all good quality materials and they aren’t convoluted so assuming that you are in a more average weight range (lower 200’s or less) there would be no lower quality materials or weak links in this mattress that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress. The solid layers would be more durable than convoluted layers of the same density.

The Dreamfoam is less than the Nest Bedding.

Nest Bedding has a 101 day return policy with free returns while Dreamfoam has a 45 day return policy and returns cost $99.

Both of them are members of this site.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because most consumers have little knowledge about mattresses and mattress materials or how to assess the quality of the materials in a mattress and any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews in general certainly won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and any firmness level options they have to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with such as the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe) than anyone else.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thanks for all your help, Phoenix! You are a wealth of knowledge!

I found something out while researching these two mattresses. I’d also been researching at sleepinglikealog.com and was in an email conversation with Sean who tipped me off that they are BOTH made by Brooklyn Bedding.
ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint: sleepinglikealog.com

Upon finding this out, I did an online chat with customer service (Mario) at Brooklyn Bedding to determine if this was correct and to find out more info about this. The person I talked with did confirm that both mattresses are made by Brooklyn Bedding. He even said this regarding which is more like Cloud Luxe, DreamFoam, or Nest Alexander: “The Dreamfoam Bedding 13 inch would feel much more like the Cloud Luxe and at a much better cost… either way it is beneficial to our company but I feel you would truly be much happier with the Dreamfoam Model”

I can’t even begin to what a relief it was to find what I was looking for at a fraction of the cost of a Tempurpedic. I wish the mattress industry wasn’t so confusing! It was so difficult to know who to trust, and figure out if a company was being paid for good reviews or not. I’d actually stressed myself out the entire weekend, up until finding out this info about Brooklyn Bedding.

I ordered my new DreamFoam yesterday and can’t wait for it to arrive! :woohoo:

Hi shadechick,

As you mentioned both mattresses are made by Brooklyn Bedding although they have different designs. The name of the manufacturer on a label also has little to nothing to do with the suitability or durability of a mattress or which one you will sleep best on. The Nest Bedding mattress has a cover that is quilted with polyfoam which will provide a little bit more resilient sleeping surface compared to sleeping directly on the memory foam which would be the case with both the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe and the Dreamfoam 13" gel memory foam mattress.

You certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :).

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback about how you like it once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Shadechick, give us an update on how you like your Dreamfoam!

I had to make the same exact decision (between Alexander Soft and Dreamfoam 13" Gel Memory) – and I chose the Alexander Soft. It arrives this week. :woohoo: I will update this thread to report on my level of satisfaction.

Hi aspire,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Hey you two,

How are you guys liking your choices so far? I am also in the same mental debate between the two. I tried out the Luxe today in store (after spending all weekend reading up on all the guides and posts here on Mattress Underground) and loved it. How are you guys fairing with your two different choices?

Thanks! :wink:

We ended up really liking the Dreamfoam mattress. It is not exactly like the Luxe though. You don’t really sink into the Dreamfoam like you do the Luxe, but it is comfortable for us. As they say, mattresses feel different for everyone.

Hi shadechick,

Thanks for the update … and it’s good to hear that your mattress choice worked out well for you.

Phoenix

We went through the same dilemma opted for the DreamFoam 13" Gel cloud. My husband and I always research everything to death before making a major purchase and not matter how far down the rabbit hole we went, all roads led us back to this bed. We just ordered 2 days ago and super excited about getting it. We went to a local store to try out tempurpedic mattresses for feel and the Lux was just a touch to soft and the Supreme was too firm for us. Fingers crossed this will be perfect!

Hi RHOSHIMUS,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix