New and looking for some direction

Hi All

My wife and i are looking to get a new king size mattress, our current came from Mattress Firm about 10 years ago. I have recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea, so I would like to get a split king adjustable base. We residing in Des Moines Iowa, and all I know is the big box stores.

Male 6’4" 268lbs, I’ll say combination sleeper but prefer back but wife makes me sleep on my right side due to snoring. Mild sleep apnea, lower back pain. Sleep hot

Female 5’ 6" 204lbs, left side sleeper. Neck pain (to many pillows)

We are still trying to get the 3 year old out of the bed.
The issues I currently have is with the kid being in the bed I’m forced to the edge which has now rolled and does not hold up at all. The bed is lifted (for my height) so the kids have climb to join us, so now the edges of the metal box springs are bent. Wood box springs did not hold up at all in the past.

Hi BlingB, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear of your sleep apnea issue, and that your 10 year old mattress firm bed is not working for your family as well as it did in the past. An adjustable base is a good plan, as this should help with your sleep apnea, (and possibly your wifevwont make you sleep on your side any more!).

You don’t say which type of bed from Mattress Firm that you and your wife have been using…keep in mind, any bed you choose will be unique to you based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). If you have not already, you might want to take a look at the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and compare these to the Mattress Durability Guidelines to see how different materials hold up over time.

As you are in Des Moines, and we no longer maintain any geographic list of mattress retailers and manufacturers, another great resource is our Mattress Shopping Tutorial by @Phoenix, which explains how to go about identifying quality mattress outlets where you live. If you aren’t sure of the type of mattress you want, in person testing even at the ‘big box’ stores, would allow you and your wife to make a ‘short list’ of mattress types you do and don’t find comfortable whether you are considering a foam hybrid, latex, or latex hybrid mattress, if you have some idea of your preferences and are considering online ordering, the Trusted Members of the site have many options available, and by providing them a little info, like you & your wife’s Stats and PPP and the feel you are looking for, they can guide you into finding potential matches for your sleep profiles; Shovlin Mattress for example, has a range of different sleep solutions and a lot of experience helping consumers find the perfect choice…they carry both adjustable bed bases, as well as their Traditional Innerspring Classic Line and Latex Hybrid Flippable & Non Flippable which all have their steel edge support guards, which may be just the thing to help keep you supported while your child transitions out of ‘co-sleeping’ with you.

I wish you and your wife every success in your journey to find a great mattress!

~ Basilio

1 Like