New DIY Latex Mattress Pain Issues

Greetings!

I am new to the site so forgive me if this is posted in the incorrect spot. I am a 31 year old male, 5’1 height and about 150lbs. I prefer to sleep on my right side, sometimes on my left, and rarely but also sleep on my back. Although I find it harder to fall asleep or stay asleep while sleeping on my back.

Some time between February and March I constructed an 8" latex mattress using 6" of blended talalay (32 ILD) and 2" of all natural talalay (20 - 24 ILD) with parts from Arizona Premium Mattress. A few days into sleeping on my new mattress, I found myself waking up with tingly/numbness throughout my arms. This numbness would sometimes last a majority of the day. It felt like my arms were asleep but I could still move them. I found my ring fingers would lock in certain positions (trigger finger?) while moving from a closed fist to fully opened hand. There was 3 positions they would get stuck at. Think of those toys that had finger movements but they could only lock in certain places. I’m not sure if that makes any sense but that’s the best way I can describe it. There were times when a certain movement or awkward hand position would cause sudden muscle stiffness and pain. I decided to purchase a 2" all natural talalay topper (14 ILD) hoping to resolve the issue. I no longer have the tingly/numbness feel throughout my arm when I wake up but still have issues with muscle tightness in my hands. My ring fingers on both hands are still getting stuck but in just one position now. A few days ago, my right ring finger could not straighten out fully and I forced it to open by straightening it out with my other hand, resulting in sharp pain in that finger. My grip strength seems to have weakened.

This has led me to wonder if latex isn’t right for me. I tried to do as much research as I could about the different types of mattresses and why it may be better to do a DIY than get a S brand mattress. I wanted a durable, shape contouring, and cool sleeping mattress and thought latex would be the best choice for me. I did lay on one in a mattress store (at least that was what the salesman told me it was) and thought latex would work. My previous bed was a bed-in-a-box hybrid mattress from Amazon and I never had issues with my arms or fingers feeling the way they do now. A few weeks ago I slept on my brother’s memory foam mattress and experienced the same sensations in my arms. I’ve never had these issues sleeping on that exact mattress before owning and sleeping on this latex mattress. I still sleep on the same pillows (regular pillows you can find at Ross/Marshalls). Would switching out the 2" 14 ILD mattress topper to a 3" 14 ILD completely resolve my issue? Would it be better to add the 3" instead? I’d like to salvage the mattress any way I can because I spent too much money on it already. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve never heard of such a thing so my only thought is to go to a 3" 14 since you did have some success with the 2". There is no better material for pressure relief than latex.

I will try that. Thank you for the suggestion!