New Latex mattress question

Hi,
I live in Los Angeles and am looking for a mattress. I’ve read your site, went through the specifics mentioned and went to stores to talk with sales people snd try out the mattresses but still feel somewhat confused. I would like an “organic” mattress and am looking at a latex Med-firm. My bmi is 25 but my boyfriend is 6’1" & 220lb. I went to the ivy organic ( pjs sleep and home in Vernon). She suggested inner coils with Dunlop latex where as Good night naturals suggested 2 different densities of only tagalay latex in the bed. I’m not sure which is the better way to go to ensure comfort and durability. Can you pls assist me with an outlet/store and thoughts on this. Thank you.

Hi joybird,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Both of the items you mentioned using springs and latex, or all latex, would be good quality componentry (as you would have read in the mattress shopping tutorial and the durability guidelines here. With the basic information you’ve provided, you’re really choosing between “good” and “good” :wink: , so your personal preference in comfort and material combinations would be the ultimate decision maker – all parts of your ownpersonal value equation.

As for an “organic” product, most people that are looking for an “organic” mattress or materials are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification and they usually aren’t aware that an organic certification isn’t the same thing as a safety certification. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, C2C, and CertiPUR-US in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are also some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

In the Los Angeles area, we do have two site members with retail locations:
https://www.flexuscomfort.com/ Covina. Local factory direct manufacturer who makes a range of high quality mattresses, including latex component mattresses and latex/pocket coil hybrids that have great value. They are very knowledgeable and service oriented and are what I call “mattress people”. I am happy to have them as a member of this site and recommend them.

Nest Beding Studio City, Santa Monica CA. (and others outside the area) They are a member of this site and are knowledgeable, experienced, and transparent and carry a range of mattresses including latex, memory foam, and latex and memory foam/pocket coil hybrids. They have also put a great deal of time and effort into carrying mattresses that are good quality and value. I have also talked with Joe the owner on many occasions and he is passionate about what he is doing and left a larger manufacturer that had a somewhat exaggerated focus on “green” mattresses to form his own company because he wanted to “do it right”.

Aside from these two businesses, if you wish to visit other retail mattress stores or manufacturers (and there are many in your area), I would always confirm that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and also make sure that any mattress that you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here. If you have any questions about specifications or certain products, feel free to post back on the forum and I’ll do my best to provide answers.

In the past, I put together lists of potential stores for people to visit in geographic regions, but I have decided to discontinue the provision of these listings (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was creating with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict vetting and qualification process to become approved as members of The Mattress Underground. Such an assumption was unfair to both the consumers seeking assistance, as well as the very businesses and manufacturers who have indeed qualified the be members here of The Mattress Underground.

If you visit any particular store or have more detailed questions on specific mattress specifications of products that you have tested, please feel free to post back here and I’ll do my best to answer your questions.

Phoenix