New Tempur-Flex mattress making me miserable

Hi Lackofzzz,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update about your DC experiences … I appreciate it :).

The only difficulty with shopping at Sears or for major brand mattresses is that for the most part you won’t be able to find out the type and quality of all the materials inside them (see this article) so most of the time you spend there would be wasted because you won’t have the information you would need to make any meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

I couldn’t find a forum list that had them marked as closed (if you can link me to the post that said this I can correct it) but I did update the lists that included them so they show that their only current store is in Rockville,. Thanks for the heads up.

Urban Outfitters doesn’t list any mattresses on their website and they don’t seem to have a store in Vienna, VA (or at least it isn’t listed on their website). Is this the store you purchased from?

Phoenix

Oops… Typo.

I meant to type Urban Mattress. They sell Sherwood, Vi Springs, Prana Sleep, Tempurpedic.

229 Maple Ave E
Vienna, VA 22180
703-261-4585

They have low prices everyday, so you don’t have to haggle as well. I appreciate this.

Hi Lackofzzz,

That makes more sense.

I don’t know which mattress you purchased but hopefully you were able to find out all the specifics of the mattress you purchased (see this article) and confirmed that there were no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress (some of their mattresses use some lower quality materials and have weak links in their design and some don’t).

Assuming that your mattress was a good match for you in terms of PPP and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress you chose then you would have made a good choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Dear Lackofzzz -

I have similar issues in that I need a softer mattress for my shoulders but a firmer mattress for my hips and lower back. I’ve tried several that didn’t work and am now trying Flobeds VZone Latex Mattress, but so far I am still having lower back problems although my shoulders are happy. I am trying to decide if I should send it back and dreading boxing it up. I like that Latex mattresses don’t have springs to wear out, but have a hard time getting one firm enough in my lower back and hip area.

Of the mattresses I tried, the Sealy Posturpedic Hybrid felt the best on my lower back, but it was a little firm for my shoulders and I am concerned if it will hold up over time as I need lasting support for my lower back.

Just wondering what mattress you went with and how it worked out in the end?

Thanks!

Hi jsuehl,

Hopefully Lackofzzz will see your post and share their comments but I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general (with or without videos) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because most consumers have little knowledge about mattresses and mattress materials or how to assess the quality of the materials in a mattress and any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews in general certainly won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

As you know the Flobeds vZone mattress is great quality component mattress and you have many options available to customize the layering and zoning after a purchase. I would call them on the phone to discuss your situation and any “symptoms” you are experiencing so that they can make some suggestions and provide some guidance about how to customize your mattress so that the combination of layers and zones will be a better “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences).

All the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay and I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (and the major retailers that focus on them) along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

Buying a mattress that uses lower quality and/or “unknown” materials would be a very risky purchase and would have a very high chance of buyers remorse much too quickly after a purchase.

Phoenix