Novosbed reviews

I visited Bed In a Box and tested their mattresses and ended up buying a Novosbed Harmony. I will give you my opinions on both, which are only my opinions.

Bed in a Box manufactures their mattresses in a different way than most I have seen. By that I mean that
other manufacturers have one or two layers of different densities and types of memory foam on top of different densities of support foam. Biab uses the same memory foam and same support foam in all their styles of mattresses, though the thickness of the support layer varies. They differentiate the mattresses by putting different toppers and covers on the same memory foam. This in my opinion, limits or slows down the transfer of body heat to the memory foam so you do not get the memory foam effect to the extent as others’

Novosbed uses different densities like most manufactures. They suggest you visit stores to compare a
similar mattress to select the one you want, along with their guidance. The problem I found with this is
that the same mattresses will feel different in the same store in different seasons due to a different
ambient temperature. Most stores will turn off their HVAC at night and in the summer the room and the
mattresses will heat up. They turn the HVAC back on in the day, but mattresses retain heat longer than the
air so they will seem softer in the summer and firmer in the winter. For that reason I suggest you visit the
store to test mattresses in two or more seasons.

I first bought a Sonata from NB in July and after a break in it felt fine. In the fall when my home temperature
was somewhat lower than in the summer it seemed too firm. I returned the Sonata got a refund and tested
mattresses in stores in the winter. I ended up buying a Harmony from them which feels fine.

I am a side sleeper and the softness of the harmony works well. I considered the Aria but because it was
not gel foam, I was concerned it would be too warm. I will never know for sure but the free pillows that
come with NB mattresses are not gel foam and they can get warm.

Hope this helps.

Hi env,

Thanks for taking the time to share some insightful comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

It’s good to hear that you ended up with a mattress that is working well for you … at least the second time around :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’m a side sleeper and the Aria is too firm for me. I tried it for 4 months and it gves me shoulder pain. I didn’t try the Harmony yet, but Novosbed mattresses are on the firm side…

So unless you like a firm mattress, i’d go with the Harmony.

Hi grederixx

I’ve posted this enough that it may sound like a broken record but whenever I see a comment from a forum member about how soft or firm a mattress may feel to others it bears repeating …

Phoenix

I bought the Harmony Novosbed in Feb of 2015. I chose this bed because it was supposed to be cooler and rated high for side sleeping. After 8 months I’m wishing I had returned it. Memory foam beds are just to hot for me. I also find myself waking up with more aches and pains than ever. I don’t feel cheated or lied to by the company, just simply don’t sleep well on their bed. I’ll give anyone a great deal on it. :slight_smile: I will be going back to a spring based mattress, I don’t even want a foam topper. I’m thinking about trying Art Van’s Pure Sleep store. Has anyone tried this yet?

Thanks.

Hi beko999,

As you know each person is unique in their specific needs and preferences and a mattress that works well for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in the same general weight range).

While you certainly made a good quality/value choice … if your mattress is too firm then a topper can certainly be a good option to add some additional softness and pressure relief although there is always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper if you haven’t tested the combination in person because the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

One of the benefits of adding a topper is that it is much less costly than a new mattress and if a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP then it also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (the upper layers or a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time and a topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it as well.

If you do decide to try a topper then there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to about firmness and thickness which along with a conversation with a reliable supplier that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of and a link to the online suppliers that have good exchange/return policies as well.

As you may know from your reading here memory foam can sleep warmer than other types of foam materials and while gel memory foam can sleep a little cooler when you are first going to sleep … depending on the percentage of gel the benefits of the gel tends to be temporary and doesn’t normally last over the course of the night and once temperatures equalize they can often sleep just as warm as “regular” memory foam (see post #2 here).

While it’s not always possible to to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful. In very general terms … the layers and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow and temperature regulation than layers and components that are further away from your skin.

I would be very cautious about buying a mattress from Art Van.

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps most importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel or how different mattresses will compare in terms of comfort and PPP for someone else … outside of “comfort” and PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

All the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay and I would avoid all of them completely along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

In other words … there isn’t a single mattress at Art Van that I would consider to be a good quality/value choice or that I would consider purchasing.

If you are considering a local purchase then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

After several days of online searching, and going to a few stores, I’m near 100% decided on going novosbed but cannot decide on the Harmony or the Aria. I am 6’0 tall, 175 lbs, my wife is 5’6, 110 lbs (I think!). We are both side sleepers and I from time to time get lower back pain (from work and poor beds), especially after a long sleep. From the reviews I’ve read the Harmony, the least firm of the line, can also be quite firm for some buyers. Does that seem generally correct? I was almost sure that a medium firmness bed like the Aria was the choice to make, but after further review it seems the Harmony sleeps a little cooler and is indeed plenty firm. I want to make sure I get the right one the first time around although I appreciate the extended return time window.

Thanks in advance,

Hi Steve Bennett*,

According to their website description the Harmony would be similar to the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme and the Aria would be similar to the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze (with a little more contouring) so you could test both of the Tempurpedic mattresses locally to see which one would be the best “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences).

NOTE ADDED JAN, 2016: They have now introduced their new simplified choice mattress which has replaced their previous models and have also become a member of this site.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would also be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range) and reviews in general certainly won’t tell you much if anything about the quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

When you can’t test a mattress in person and you are uncertain about which mattress to choose then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would include Novosbed) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

I figured I would chime in here to give an update on how things went with our Aria… Once the summer months arrived, our room temperature at night was up about 10 degrees… I think combined with our breaking in of the mattress, along with the warmer temperatures, the mattress ended up being too soft for us, and we started waking with back pain. At rest, the mattress has held up very well, with no visible depressions. We ended up moving the Aria to our guest bed, which was in desperate need of a new mattress anyway. Now that its colder at night again, I will occasionally lay down on it for a while, and it is still quite comfy… I think overall, memory foam was not good for me due to the fact that its recovery time was too long, and I ended up not shifting positions through the night as I slept.

We’ve had a Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver in medium now for about a week, so its too soon to render a verdict on that - but so far, its good.

One of the things I did want to point out is that Novosbed has changed the design of the Aria over what we purchased. The version that we purchased had 7" of 2lbs/ft[sup]3[/sup] poly support foam, 2" of 5.2 lbs/ft[sup]3[/sup] memory foam, and then 4.1 lbs/ft[sup]3[/sup] memory foam for the top layer.

The design they are shipping now has changed the 7" support layer to 1.8 lbs/ft[sup]3[/sup] poly foam, then 2" of 5lbs/ft[sup]3[/sup] memory foam, and then 2" of “plush” 5lbs/ft[sup]3[/sup] memory foam.

I’ve only tried the former design. Perhaps Phoenix can comment on how those design changes may manifest themselves.

Rick

Hi RickNY,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update and I’m sorry to hear that your mattress ended up being too soft for you.

Congratulations on your new mattress as well.

[quote]One of the things I did want to point out is that Novosbed has changed the design of the Aria over what we purchased. The version that we purchased had 7" of 2lbs/ft3 poly support foam, 2" of 5.2 lbs/ft3 memory foam, and then 4.1 lbs/ft3 memory foam for the top layer.

The design they are shipping now has changed the 7" support layer to 1.8 lbs/ft3 poly foam, then 2" of 5lbs/ft3 memory foam, and then 2" of “plush” 5lbs/ft3 memory foam.

I’ve only tried the former design. Perhaps Phoenix can comment on how those design changes may manifest themselves.[/quote]

I would expect that with the change from 4 lb to 5 lb memory foam in the top layer the new version may be slightly more durable for some people.

NOTE ADDED JAN, 2016: They have now introduced their new simplified choice mattress which has replaced their previous models and have also become a member of this site.

Phoenix

I have a Novosbed Aria and I really love it. It is not quite as “squishy” as the Tempurpedic Cloud I liked in-store, but that’s been fine. I’ve had the bed about a month now and the back pain I experienced in my old bed and on the Leesa I tried are a thing of the past.

Hi loraxc,

Thanks for the update on your Aria … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

TERRIBLE is the best I can say. The mattress is stiff with no give whatsoever. I ordered the softest mattress, but Novosbed suggested changing my order to another mattress. They sent a few questions and I agreed. Whether it was a mistake to change to the other mattress or just to order from Novosbed at all, it’s the same result. Stuck with a TERRIBLE mattress for 60+ days. After ordering, I realized the other online mattress companies let you return after 30 days. My arms fall asleep at night because the mattress is so hard.

Good luck with the return process. If you like jumping through hoop after hoop, Novosbed is for you. You have to take multiple picture to even initiate a return. After those are sent in you get to send in more pictures. HASSLE. HASSLE, HASSLE. Friends of ours ordered a Leesa bed and returned it and it was easy. “I want to return.” Okay, we’ll schedule the pick-up." Novosbed has a terrible mattress and awful customer service. DO NOT BUY NOVOSBED.

Hi Edison,

I am Sam Prochazka, President of Novosbed. Reviews such as yours are immediately escalated to me as they are far from representative of how we do business. The vast majority of our customers, including those who return, rave of their experiences Novosbed (as you can see on this site).

You are correct that we ask our customers to try their mattresses before initiating a return: this is because we use ultra-dense memory foams in our mattresses, similar to Tempur-Pedic. It can take a little longer to adjust to these dense foams than it does to adjust to the low-density foams than many of the other bed-In-box companies use. The advantage is that Novosbeds last longer, and don’t form body impressions early in their lifetimes. Important to note is that we have just added our patent-pending “Adjustable Comfort Guarantee” that allows Novosbed owners to tweak the firmness of their mattress after 30-days. We are the only company, online or offline, to offer a product like this.

We do ask that customers take photos of their mattresses so we can determine whether their firmness issues were caused by a design issue or manufacturing defect. This almost never delays a return pickup, but is crucial for us to maintain quality and improve the design of our products.

Please know that your concerns do not fall on deaf ears. I cannot reach out to you personally because I cannot identify your purchase through your MattressUnderground handle, however if you would like to contact me directly, please do contact our customer support and reference this post:

[email protected]
1-877-496-3626

All the best,
Sam

Hi Edison,

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress purchase didn’t work out as well as you hoped for but your “so called” review is completely misleading and unfair … to say the least … and your experience is also very different from most of the people that purchase from Novosbed.

Reviews like yours that are trying to “influence” or “recruit an army” of other people that share your thoughts about a mattress before they have even tried it are one of the reasons that one of the most frequent comments on this forum is this one …

While a review that shares your personal experience in a more “neutral” way is certainly welcome … it’s clear that you have very little knowledge about mattresses or mattress materials and you also don’t appear to understand that a mattress that works well for some or even many people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on because each person is unique and not everyone fits inside the averages of other people that have a similar body type or sleeping style (which is what a manufacturer bases their suggestions on). Your review would be similar to shouting to the world “don’t buy this pair of size 10 shoes because I don’t like them and they don’t fit me” which of course is ridiculous.

The mattress you purchased uses good quality and durable materials and is certainly a great quality/value choice and unlike many other mattresses on the market there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would reduce the durability or useful life of the mattress relative to most weight ranges. Unlike many other manufacturers … Novosbed is also completely transparent about the quality/density of the materials in their mattresses.

It also seems clear to me that you didn’t read the mattress shopping tutorial before making your purchase. Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

You are also responsible for making sure that you are comfortable with the exchange/return policy of any company you purchase from BEFORE you make your purchase and the goal of good research is to replace hindsight with foresight.

I’m not sure how long you have slept on your mattress but I would also keep in mind that there will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of it’s “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress (and as Sam mentioned it can take longer for some people or with higher density materials). Some of the information in post #2 here may also be helpful as well because there could be other reasons for your experience besides the mattress. It can be surprising to many people how much their sleeping experience can change over the course of the break in and adjustment period.

If I was “rating” your review on a scale of 1 - 5 (with 1 being the lowest) I would rate your review as a 1 because it is so deceptive and misleading and it certainly wouldn’t be an indication of other people’s experience on the same mattress.

There are many possibilities that may improve your sleeping experience outside of a return (even though this of course could end up being the outcome of your purchase) and I would suggest that you avoid “rushing to judgement” and focus on resolving your issues with a more open mind during your first 60 days rather than just “ranting” about them. Outside of the suggestions in this reply (and Sam’s as well) I would take the time to take a few breaths and talk to Novosbed on the phone with a little bit more “neutral”, calmer, and receptive approach so that they have the chance to make some suggestions that may be helpful for you as well. When you take the “angry” approach you are taking you can end up becoming your own worst enemy and you take the risk of losing the “goodwill” of people that really want to help you resolve any issues that you may have.

Phoenix

I didn’t leave a “so called” review. I left a review based on my actual experience sleeping on a mattress from Novosbed and dealing with Novosbed customer service. It is not “completely misleading and unfair,” it is based on MY ACTUAL EXPERIENCE.

It is ridiculous to say that I have an aim to ““influence” or “recruit an army” of other people that share your thoughts about a mattress before they have even tried it.” I tried the mattress for nearly 90 days. My review states specifics about my experience, e.g., arms falling asleep. My aim is to provide a review of MY experience.

It is laughable to suggest that someone that doesn’t give a glowing review has “very little knowledge about mattresses.” I sleep everyday. I use a mattress everyday. I have knowledge and experience with mattresses. Giving an honest assessment doesn’t mean that I lack requisite expertise to understand how a mattress works.

I did review the tutorial and selected a mattress. I reviewed the Novosbed website and selected a mattress. Novosbed suggested I choose a different mattress.

There was NO WAY to know about Novosbed’s unduly complicated return process until I needed to initiate a return The Novosbed site mentions nothing about multiple photo sessions, etc.

I’ve slept on the mattress for nearly 90 days, more than enough time (even by Novosbed’policy) to “break in a mattress.” Sharing an honest experience isn’t ranting. I contacted Novosbed during the first 30 days for suggestions about making the mattress feel more comfortable. I was told that there is an unusually long break-in period and that it would get better or that I could return the mattress. There was nothing to suggest that this exchange wasn’t calm. It was professional and businesslike.

My husband and I have a combined 80+ years of “mattress experience”, as we both sleep everyday. We tried a Novosbed Aria. I found it very uncomfortable. I tried it for more than 90 days. Upon trying to initiate a return, I have been asked to jump through silly hoops, unlike other online mattress companies. The Novosbed site does not fully explain the arduous return process. This has been my experience.

If Novosbed wants photos to document whether the issue is due to “design issue or manufacturing defect,” then Novosbed may want to ask their moving company to take such photos, rather than customers. .

Hi Edison,

I’m not sure if you took the time to read all of my reply because nobody is questioning that your review was about your actual experience but it also included opinions and suggestions that wouldn’t be relevant to anyone else and was much more than just a “neutral” description of your experience. Again … you don’t seem to recognize that your experience may not contain any meaningful information that would apply to anyone else but you.

If you also take the time to step back and reread your “review” and recognize the “tone” and the specific suggestions that you were making to others and “how” you made them then my reply may also make more sense to you.

Again … you didn’t seem to read my reply which said that I would pay little attention to ANY reviews … either positive or negative … because the information they generally include are only applicable to one person and nobody else. Reviews in general are among the least reliable forms of legitimate mattress research. It makes no sense that you are suggesting to avoid a mattress that many thousands of other people are happy with (including many of the members of the forum here). Sleeping on mattresses also doesn’t give you the type of detailed knowledge and experience that would qualify you as an expert that has the knowledge or ability to help others that may be very different from you to choose a mattress or know which mattress to choose for anyone else but you.

Just like the analogy I used with shoes … it makes little sense to suggest that other people will have the same experience as you on the same mattress or recommend that they avoid it because just like shoes or clothes or food or any purchase that involves more subjective and personal preference considerations, everyone is unique in terms of the size and style that works best for them and there may be thousands of people that love shoes or mattresses or clothes or food that you don’t like or that don’t work well or aren’t the best “fit” for you.

Buying a mattress online can be a very successful experience for many people but there is always some risk that any online purchase (or any mattress purchase for that matter) won’t turn out as well as you hoped for in spite of the “best efforts” of everyone involved and if you had read the tutorial and the links I added in my replies you would know this already. This is just reality and certainly isn’t a reason to write the type of “angry” and misleading review that you have written.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then in most cases the guidance of a knowledgeable and experienced online manufacturer based on the information you provide, their experience, and the “averages” of their many customers over the years will tend to be more “accurate” than the “gut feel” of a customer but of course nobody has a crystal ball that can predict which mattress you will sleep well on for certain because not everyone is inside the averages and even the “best efforts” of a knowledgeable retailer or manufacturer to help you choose a mattress may not turn out as well as you (and they) hoped for. This would be true with any online purchase and is the reason that a good return policy can be an important part of the “value” of an online purchase (and why you should make sure you are comfortable with the specifics of the return policy before a purchase not afterwards).

I hope that you can step back from your feelings of frustration and anger somewhat and learn from your experience and if you have already slept on your mattress for 90 days then you are already eligible to return it for a refund without a problem. I also don’t see why asking you to take a photo of your mattress would be a reason to make the comments you have made (and if you were to talk with them using a more reasonable “tone” and approach they would possibly waive this as well).

Working “with” people to resolve any issues with a purchase is usually a more effective approach than working “against” people that in the end have both your and their best interests in mind.

I think it’s probably time to move on (and most likely return your mattress for a refund that costs you nothing) and use your experience to help you choose a mattress that is a better “match” for your unique needs and preferences and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you, regardless of whether it would be the most suitable choice for anyone else.

Phoenix

I just placed an order for a bed… and I thought I would share my pre-purchase ( and soon to be post purchase ) experience with everyone in case it might be helpful.

THE PROBLEM:
My wife keeps kicking me out of the bedroom complaining that my moving about in bed is waking her up. Plus - our mattress (which was very expensive and some top-of-the-line innerspring) is 11 1/2 years old and likely needs to be retired.

THE PROCESS:
I had heard from commercials as well as friends that memory foam mattresses were fantastic at isolating movement so that you don’t disturb your partner. I had heard of Tempurpedic and assumed they were the premium end of mattresses. I don’t mind spending money - but I hate wasting money though… and I suspected that the markups on something like the Tempurpedic were outrageous. So I started looking online for better deals…

I went to Amazon and was heartened to see all these foam mattresses rated 4 1/2 stars and that were dirt cheap. I almost bought. I enjoy doing research though (being an engineer) - and so I started googling around on what someone should look for in a good memory foam mattress. Turns out that the inexpensive memory foam mattresses on Amazon didn’t have very high foam density… so they might feel great at first (hence the high ratings) but then would quickly breakdown. Looking at the ratings on Amazon - they are mostly from folks about 2 days after they receive their mattress. I’m all about being frugal - but I’m not about having to replace my mattress every 2 years. Talk about hassle.

So begins my search for the ultimate mattress… something affordable $500-$1500 in King size. Something with 4-6 inches of memory foam… something with 4lb or 5lb density… Something with good ratings overall (of course memory foam probably is terrible for some people, so not looking for perfect scores)… and something where if I make a purchase and it turns out memory foam is not for me - I can back out of it.

Novosbed seems to fit the bill. Technical specs seem on target. Price point is on target. Review sites (some likely biased) seem on target. SleepLikeTheDead site seems to like them. Yes companies try and manage their reputation online - but you can’t completely bury bad reviews and there really are few if any bad reviews online. So I’m encouraged.

But what about firmness? Uhm… I guess Medium is probably good… I stop by a mattress store and lay down for 5 minutes each on several Tempurpedics… I like the feel of the Tempur Cloud Supreme and Tempur Cloud Supreme Elite.

I ping the online chat at Novosbed and get a guy named Jeremy. He says that if I liked the Cloud Supreme that I would like the Medium firmness… I had also read someplace in the forums that it is easier to go softer with the Comfort+ add on than to go firmer (unsure if correct, but that is what I read)…

THE SOLUTION (?) :

So to make a very long story short - I ordered the King Size Novosbed in Medium this evening. Supposedly it ships out the same day if ordered by 2PM… so mine will likely ship tomorrow, Thursday, May 26th, to the Atlanta region. Tried to get a better deal over the phone earlier as well as over online chat - no haggling. I actually like companies that do that - I don’t mind spending money but I hate paying more than the guy next to me.

I plan on opening the bed up and leaving it in an empty room for a couple of days to let it offgas and fully expand. I’m hoping that we love the bed. I’ve read comments that we have to give the bed as well as our bodies some time to adjust… so I’m expecting some poor nights of rest to start. I’ve already prepped my wife that a lot of people hate these types of beds the first couple of days. I have a slight concern about comments that a small percentage of people find these types of beds hot to sleep in… hope I’m not one of them. I have a slight concern that the bed may be too firm - but at least I have the option of adding some cushion later.

I look forward to coming back here and posting my review once we’ve given the bed a try and then again once we have let ourselves and the bed get used to one another!

Wish me happy sleeping!

Since this thread has been bumped, I will update to say that I continue to be happy with my Novosbed. I still have occasionaly back pain, but it is nothing like it was on my old mattress and NOTHING like the extreme discomfot I experienced in the Leesa (which was a terrible fit for me). I really look forward to getting into this bed at night and I see absolutely no wear since my purchase 7 month ago,

Hi dontletthembite,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix