nyc/ brooklyn small retailers?

Hi Phoenix,
I’ve been trying to find a new mattress to replace my 15 yr old one and it has become a total labyrinth…
I tried some mattresses and like the beauty rest then read the reviews and some so negative that couldn’t just spend the money thinking it might in a few years lose its comfort.
I “think” I like cased springs, and latex and I don’t like extremely firm, and absolutely do not like memory foam nor gel…
I just read your posts and wondered if there are any of these small retailers in nyc or in Brooklyn?

Would really appreciate your help!
Many thanks
Dania

Hi Danias,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

Once you get to step 3 in the tutorial then the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the New York City area (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked) are listed in post #2 here.

Good luck and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Hi Danias,

I also love in NYC and have been trying to navigate the mattress landscape. I needed to replace my 10 year old mattress, and was trying to find a small retailer, but did not find any and ended up making a horrible purchase at Sleepys. I bought a Beautyrest World Class Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Plush and the mattress delivered was not the one I tested at the store (the tags were clearly different). Sleepys will not accept returns, only exchanges, so be avoid shopping there. I discovered Mattress Underground last Sunday and have spent most of the past 2 days going to the showrooms on Phoenix’s lists. It’s sad that these names didn’t come up when I initially did a Google search for NYC mattresses but these places can’t afford to SEM costs compared to Sleepy’s and the big self stores. Anyway, I’ve met some lovely people in the stores and mention Mattress Underground to all of them. I can’t buy another new mattress until I force Sleepys to do a refund, but I saw some nice models at Longs on UWS, Scott Jordan (talk to Aaron) and Room & Board (talk to Sara). Clean Bedroom was way out of my price range and Charles Rogers just wasn’t comfortable. I haven’t been to Keetsa yet. I did go to Casper a couple of weeks ago and they have a great setup but the mattress wasn’t for me. And I also went to Craig’s Beds after seeing a rave online but was very disappointed by the service and lack of soft options on the floor. I went to Dixie Foam too and the guy was great but they just didn’t have what I needed. Hope you have luck and whatever you do, do not set foot in sleepy’s!

Suzan