Odd shaped couple looking for mattress advice

My wife and I just bought our first house (in north Dallas, Tx) but since we had to stay with family for a lengthy time to save up, we don’t have a bed of our own to put in the master. I am 6’4" tall, and she is 4’11", so we tend to sleep in odd shapes. I have two discs in my spine pinching the nerves causing shooting pains on my left side, and she recently has developed some pretty bad nasal allergies making hypoallergenic a must have. We were thinking a Tempurpedic would be the best type of mattress for us, but recently I read a post about local custom mattress companies. The pricing was significantly lower than prices I had seen on Tempurpedics, are they cheaper because of the quality? And is there a particular mattress we should be looking for? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Hi Chaseandvivi,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!.

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists.

I would keep in mind that there is no specific type or category of mattresses that are the “best mattress” although I would avoid all the major brands including Tempurpedic because they are either lower quality choices (in the case of Sealy, Simmons, or Serta) or in the case of Tempurpedic they do use good quality materials but they are in a much higher budget ranges than other similar memory foam mattresses that also use good quality materials but are made by many smaller manufacturers … see the guidelines here). I would also keep in mind that the choice between different types of mattresses or materials is a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice. Your testing will tell you which types of mattresses you tend to prefer.

Once you get to step 3 in the tutorial and you are ready to start testing mattresses then the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Dallas / Ft Worth area (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked) are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix