One-sided Shoulder Pain

We’ve been sleeping on our Hemingway Coral Cove Eurotop that we bought from trusted member @Magic_Sleeper for about a month.

I’m a side sleeper (6’3”, 230 lbs.) and have been generally satisfied with the feel and comfort of the mattress. However, I’ve encountered one issue - despite the fact that I sleep on both sides during the night with no discomfort, during the day, I have mild shoulder discomfort but only on my right side.

I’m not sure how to approach a solution to this without taking into account how it might affect my left shoulder which is unaffected.

Hey BR,

Congratulations on your new Hemingway mattress! It’s truly a beautiful line, although it’s a bit disappointing that Bedding Industries of America doesn’t provide all the specs. Nonetheless, their commitment to quality luxury materials is evident.

When it comes to shoulder pain or discomfort, the pillow often takes the spotlight. It’s a crucial component for a good night’s rest. Understanding whether you sink into the mattress or rest on its surface is key. Typically, a eurotop allows for some soft foam and sinking, meant to enhance comfort. Often that enhancement may cause your shoulder/s to sink too deep into the mattress. To counter that condition, the pillow can be used to keep your head and neck in alignment while supporting your shoulders, preventing them from sinking too deeply into the mattress.

Additionally, one question lingers: where do you position yourself on the mattress? While the materials are top-notch, one aspect of this mattress may have an impact. The Hemingway Coral Cover Eurotop features a coil-on-coil design (no issues there) with a high-density foam perimeter encasing the support coil layer ( potential issues). Exploring different types of edge support in----- this video -----sheds light on the nuances. It will become clear how the perimeter edge foam, generally made with high density foam, effects the feel and sleeping area of a mattress.

When manufacturers opt for this edge support style, there are pros and cons to consider. It’s plausible that rolling from the edge to the middle could yield varying sensations for each shoulder throughout the night. Perhaps you’re already noticing these differences (either conscienceless or subconsciously), prompting position changes. The video outlines potential drawbacks.

Two key considerations arise: the perimeter edge support foam, especially in relation to your sleep position and weight, and the suitability of your pillow for proper support and alignment. This thread on pillow importance offers valuable insights.

Fortunately, there may be solutions. Positioning yourself closer to the mattress center could promote a more balanced sleep experience, where you avoid the discomfort of the change in feel from the edge of the mattress to the coil sleeping surface. Additionally, opting for a pillow with suitable loft and firmness to maintain proper head, neck, and shoulder alignment is crucial.

I am truly sorry you are experiencing this discomfort. I will say that you are only a month in with the mattress. You may still be in an adjustment phase and you may overcome these discomforts.

All the best,

Maverick

Norm,

Thanks for the detailed response. Regarding your question on sleeping position: I tend to sleep closer to (but not on) the edge when lying on my “good” shoulder and closer to the middle on my “bad” shoulder. It’s hard to tell exactly but I think the positions are within no more than six inches of each other.

I have been looking down the pillow rabbit hole as well. I’ve had good luck with solid Talalay latex pillows but I’ve been thinking it might be time to look for one with a little more loft. It’s hard to compare loft and firmness online especially when I see many reviewers say that the loft or firmness of the pillow doesn’t match the seller’s description. So I haven’t yet pulled the trigger on that one.

Sleeping near the edge of the bed poses its challenges, especially with the HD foam perimeter edge support encasement, which typically measures 3 to 5 inches wide. When on the “good” side, it’s crucial to be mindful of your proximity to the edge. You may be inadvertently developing beginning stages of discomfort on the good side, prompting you to rotate on the bad side.

Placing an extra pillow along the edge on the good side can prevent accidental slipping or creeping over onto the HD foam edge portion

I’ve experimented with various pillows, including high loft Talalay latex, which provided pushback and bounce but lacked substantial support. Among my favorites are the horsehair, Tempurpedic Procloud Hi, Brooklyn Bedding Shredded Foam, and Malouf Zoned Gel pillows, with the first three offering notable support, the Malouf (which is considered a latex alternative) offered better support and less movement as compared to solid Talalay.

For me, pillow support is akin to mattress support. I prefer my head to sink slightly, achieving alignment with my neck and body, resulting in stability without excessive movement.

Within a reasonable price range (up to $150), the Tempurpedic ProHi stands out as the most supportive aligning with my criteria. While horsehair and a combination of horsehair and latex noodles offer me better support, they can be costly, requiring a DIY approach for the combination. The unique feel of the combination, especially with the latex noodles atop the horsehair, is noteworthy.

Considering a similar experience, the cozypure baa noodle pillow might be worth exploring. A close friend has ordered one as a precursor to horsehair and eagerly awaits its arrival. He also owns the Procloud Hi (which he loves), the Malouf, and the Brooklyn Bedding pillows, having returned the solid Talalay.

If you are interested in trying solid Talalay, I recommend Custom Sleep Technology (CST), where Bob meticulously matches pillow characteristics to your preferences at fair prices. Additionally, a body pillow could provide added comfort
by preventing your body/shoulder from sinking in too deeply into the mattress.

I hope you’ll consider exploring these pillow options to alleviate shoulder pressure by providing adequate neck and shoulder support, maintaining proper alignment, and relieving pressure on the affected shoulder.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Maverick

I’m not sure it’s an edge issue as I’m lying more than a foot from the edge of the mattress,

Regarding the Tempurpedic recommendation, I found the following options:

• TEMPUR-Adapt ProHi
  • TEMPUR-Cloud ProHi
  • TEMPUR-Breeze ProHi

Is there one in particular you would recommend? Also, since they are memory foam based, I’m concerned about it sleeping warm even though some of them claim to have some type of cooling tech.

Thanks again for your insights.

Tempurpedic Cloud ProHi

ON Amazon and its returnable

The dual breeze is a great pillow, but may be too firm. I have that one too, but I favor the Cloud Pro Hi better as it feels more cloud like when lying on it. If you like a firmer pillow, then the Dual Breeze is better, but I would start with the Cloud first.

Both will elevate you enough to take pressure off your shoulders when sleeping on either side. If you are very broad shoulders, you may need a base pillow under the Tempurpedic. I use a tempur cloud king as a base but I have broader shoulders and like the height. The pro adapt is not one that TP sells on their website, I think only to certain retailers like mattress firm and raymour and flannigan. It is the same as the Cloud Pro they sell on their website, albeit a different color pillow cover.

Maverick