Order and Fit - matching mattress and foundation in the midst of research.

Hello. Fantastic website! I have been reading here for days and have learned a lot. In order not to succumb to my “weakest link” of endless research with no decision in sight, I’ve decided to reach out for help. I feel more certain about the kind of foundation I want, which is why I thought it might help to decide on this first in order not to fall into analysis paralysis. Would it be problematic to start here?

In terms of foundations, here’s what I know…

• I know I would like a platform bed, i.e. not a traditional boxspring or low-the-the-ground set up. I’ve considered (higher) tatami beds and more asian style sleeping configurations, but became overwhelmed with the variables and high prices I encountered. However, this style or type of set up still appeals to me with it’s simplicity and more hygienic presentation.
  • Having reached a sort of dead end there, I thought some combination of a very supportive wood or metal frame that is very easy to move (possibly modular) and set up, with a usboxspring-type platform (with slats 1.5ish inches apart) or a coconut fiber rug would provide the support, breathability, ease, long durability, and portability I’m looking for.
  • Since I imagine, I will likely have to purchase these items individually from different sellers, my concern is how to make sure that these pieces will all fit together as a stabile unit-- no shifting, no creaking, etc.

As for the mattress that I’ll ultimately be putting on this foundation…

• Right now I’m leaning toward a Latex or hybrid mattress (pocket coil?) made with Talalay or Dunlop Latex and am sticking to NR latex, cotton, and wool as far as materials go. Organic certifications would be great.
  • I would like a firm support layer (I’m guessing 35-45 IDLs) and a thicker, medium to firm comfort layer (again, guessing 18-23 IDLs). Pocket coil might be a consideration as well. I have some neck and back pain, but more recently I’ve been waking up with my arms and hands asleep almost every morning. I am a side sleeper mostly, but occasionally also sleep on my back or partly on my stomach and lean slightly heavier than average, curvy with broader shoulders, and somewhat athletic. At one point in my past I slept on a bamboo mat with a tatami-like cotton mat on top, over a 3 year period, and had the best sleep that I can remember. I’ve tried, but haven’t been able to recreate that experience.
  • I don’t like memory foam at all. The “sleeping in” (vs. “sleeping on”) trait makes me feel claustrophobic.
  • I’m confused about “roll-together.” Does this feature mean more support in the center of the bed? If so, this would be preferred, but not required.
  • I’m not sure about single or double sided. Seems considering my other preferences, a one sided mattress would make more sense.
  • I do like edge-support
  • The ability to open and remove, move, or exchange layers would be a nice perk, but it seems like something that would come at a premium.
  • A good warranty is important to me.
  • Budget is a consideration, but I am willing to spend more for the sake of value. My cap would probably be 2k. I don’t want to have to buy another bed for YEARS.
  • I visited a handful of shops in Los Angeles and Orange County each, and the two mattresses I found most comfortable were Select Rest Catalina which I have not been able to find any information about on the forums. The second mattress was Nature’s SPA Luxe- Remedy Luxe which has a few mentions here, but more questions than answers.
    Any guidance on how to address variables and zero in on a decision, including specific sellers or suggestions on foundation configurations would be very much appreciated. I don’t mind ordering the foundation online or in store as long as there is a return policy that includes shipping costs. As for mattresses, I would like to actually try them out in a store. Any suggestions? Thank you so very much!

Hi Charter,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Assembled foundations like the one from US boxspring that you mentioned can be quite sturdy and durable (the space between their slats is slightly less than 3", not less than 2".). Some people secure the cross slats with screws to make them as sturdy and as quiet as possible.

Regarding fitting together, if you purchase a queen bed frame and a queen foundation (as an example), those sizes are standardized within the industry and there should be no issue with them working together quite well. If you’re looking to minimize frame squeaks and noises, perhaps you should look for a bedframe that is a one-size-only using some sort of a wedge-lock design (like this example) and skip the wheels.

“Roll-together” usually refers to something negative, where there is less support in the center of the mattress, usually due to poor quality comfort layers, a substandard foundation or a frame lacking a center support, or a combination of all of these things.

Desiring a component-style system, a one-sided will usually be what you’ll find, and using good quality componentry you certainly can find something that will be quite durable.

Many of the hybrid designs are now featuring firmer coils along the perimeter for extra edge reinforcement. All-latex mattresses rarely have a polyfoam edge system laminated to them, but they will maintain a consistent edge (as the latex is quite durable) but it will not be a firm edge.

This isn’t necessarily the case. You may be surprised at the offerings available that are customizable, especially from some of the site members.

While warranty isn’t an indicator of quality of durability, it that is an important part of your value equation, you’ll want to make sure to investigate that. A 10-year warranty would be quite common for higher quality products.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around Los Angeles are listed here.

I’m not personally familiar with the exact specifications of each mattress, so you would need to be able to find out all the information of what is inside of each mattress (see this article) to compare them to the guidelines in post #4 here so you can make an informed choice in terms of suitability based on your testing and in terms of quality and durability based on the materials in the mattress. There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here.

Another good place to look for quality manufacturers and retailers would be the site members listed here. I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about latex and different configurations, and I would not hesitate to recommend them for your consideration. Of those members, Flexus Comfort, Foam Sweet Foam, Nest Bedding, Escondido Mattress Factory , and Mattress Makers are all within about a three-hour radius from Los Angeles.

And just to be sure, make sure that you read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Thank you so much for your thorough response. I have continued my search and thought I’d provide an update. I’ve since been looking at “wooden” mattress. They’re more common in Asia and akin to sleeping on the floor. I decided to try one out and found it to be pretty comfortable, but I think I would want to add a latex topper of some sort. Are there specific latex toppers or alternative options you would recommend? Do you know much about these “wooden” mattresses? Any caveats or words of advice?
Thanks again,
Charter

Hi Charter,

There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines to which it links. If you would be trying to stay within the theme of a firmer product, perhaps something along the lines of a 2" Dunlop “medium” topper might be worthy of investigation.

Sleeping on what generally amounts to wooden or grass matts is more common, and traditional, in Asia. I was reading an article about this a few months ago and the researchers were speculating as to why these firmer products (and firmer mattresses in general) were more popular in certain areas of the world. Some of the research led them to speculate that there has developed a difference over generations in the amount of lordosis (forward curvature) of the lumbar region of the people in these areas, and with a less pronounce curve, the people in their research were better able to tolerate firmer surfaces. Some of the other research speculated that it might be simply this is what the population is familiar with, so this is what they use.

Matts made of bamboo are a common material. There are some other matts you may see in stores that look like a collection of small branches strung together, yet there are different diameters at different prices. Tatami matts are popular for sleeping and for flooring, and these are made from woven rush grass around a straw core. On top of these a shikibuton is often placed for sleeping, and this is placed in a closet or a cabinet during the day.

Many people do prefer this more traditional sleeping arrangement, but it is a firmer surface with little, if any, progressive resistance, so quite different from what is common here in North America. In the end, like so many things, it comes down to your own personal comfort preference.

Phoenix